Register now to get rid of these ads!

Henrob Torch Users: Help Please

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chad s, Oct 28, 2007.

1. Chad s

Chad s

I just purchased a Henrob torch, and I followed the DVD to setup the Oxy/Acetelene, using the #3 tip, and got a neutural flame, no problem.

If I go to a #1 tip (too big for the practice cupons I have), it fine, I can get a neutural flame nicely.

My problem is, with the #0 or Alternate tip (one "V" groove on it, for sheetmetal), I cannot get the flame to light. I open the Acetalene valve on the torch, strike the striker (Im using a piezo Lighting Bug), and the gas coming from the torch ignites for a fraction of a seccond, and wont form/keep a flame. The gas is flowing fine, and the tip is not cloged.

What am I doing wrong?

2. 32v

32v
    from v.i.

What Regulator Are You Useing???

3. Chad s

Chad s

A Victor Metalist Acetelene regulator. I have it at kist a bit over 4psi, as the instructions for the Henrob say to do.

4. Chad s

Chad s

5. Doesn't Henrob recommend their own low pressure regulators ?

Some of the less expensive regulators (like mine) are unstable at low settings.

6. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

if you are running ANYTHING over 4psi its too much...

7. Andy

Andy

How full is the bottle? The last gas out is bad.

8. Chad s

Chad s

These are Victor USA made regulators, they were $125 for each, from a reputable local welding supply. I dont know where that falls in the pricing structure of regulators, but it seemed like at that price, they should be decent.

The bottles are both full, I just got the bottles, and they are a fresh fill.

Ok, so too much pressure coule be the issue (I'm not home yet to try with less pressure). I have the accetalene a hair over 4psi, as the DVD stated to do. With the #1 tip and up, this works perfectly. Is it possible that with the smaller (than #1) tips, too much pressure would cause the gas to move too quickly to stay ignited?

9. What happens when you turn the pressure down ?

10. maxspeedracing

maxspeedracing

Sounds like you are doing everything right. Adjust to 4 PSI with the henrob gas valve closed. Then open the valve and check your regulator to make sure it hasn't dropped. Same with the oxygen, although oxygen can be higher. 5 or 6 is OK, as you can't really measure it that low anyway.

Light the tip with the henrob gas valve (red knob) cracked slightly open. You should be able to get a candle flame out of it...

Try using a flint striker.

11. CharlieLed

CharlieLed

Like has been said, either too much pressure or gas is gone.

12. Digger_Dave

Digger_Dave
    Member Emeritus

I found the oxy regulator I was using with mine was reading TOO LOW, it would keep blowing out the flame.

13. BLAINE 816

BLAINE 816

First I think that the Henrob is the best of the best. I have been using one for over 20 years. Second most regulators are not accurate in the low range. Try this buy a pressure guage with a broad
    scale range in the desired area adapt a small hose to the guage port that will seal around the tip when inserted.Next adjust the regulator one side at a time to the desired pressure.

14. Chad s

Chad s

Ok guys, it was that I had the knob on the torch open too much. I just cracked it, and lit it, it lit fine, and I went from there. I can get a good neutural flame on both the #0 and the Alternate tips.

Now onto learning to gas weld. I can make a decent bead across a pirce of flat 20 guage steel, but when I but weld, I have been burning through. I guess I need to make some more coupons, and keep practicing. So far though, the #0 tip has actualy been easier to control than the Alternate tip.

Thanks for everyones help and suggestions.

15. BanjoBoy

BanjoBoy

Been thinking of getting this tool.
    How much if you dont mind me asking?
    What is the thickest metal it can be used on?

16. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Agree that regulators usually arent' very accurate at low pressures necessary for the Henrob.
    Chad, the Henrob burns VERY hot, even with the small tip. Try to lower the flame a bit, even from the optimum setting, to do very thin metal.
    I also found that my welding speed needed to be sped up using the Henrob. It would weld faster that I could! As I practiced, and got better coordination, I sped up my pass speed, and got a lot better.
    You'd be surprised how fast you can run a bead with that sucker! Fast as cutting sheet metal with a plasma!

17. Any gauge or regulator is most accurate near the middle of it's range.

18. Redneck Smooth

Redneck Smooth
    from Cincinnati

Is your fitup TIGHT? You want a tight fit for gas-welding sheet metal...

19. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

i got my setup as part of one of jims "package" deals... paid $699 all in but got the master torch setup (extra tips etc), regulators, lightweight hose, can of aluminum flux and a set of the cobra glasses as well.... the basic kit is around $350ish?

20. tisdelski

tisdelski

hi guys,

i bought a henrob about a month ago ,set the pressure by using the measurement method(1/2- 9/16 long neutral flame) ,set with the #3 tip. ithink this method will be the most accurate as it sets the pressure at the gun taking longer hoses or inaccurate gauges out of the equasion.

welded quite a few 18 gauge coupons with great success. using the 0.5 tip, is that what you are calling the alternate??

going to practice aluminum tomorrow, jim shows only fluxing the rod and not the pieces, have had much better success fluxing the pieces and not the rod.

gary