Register now to get rid of these ads!

HEMIs Industrial and non-industrial... Whats the difference?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TexasDeuce, Jan 10, 2004.

1. TexasDeuce

TexasDeuce

Hey HEMI Experts,

I got me a Hemi. It is from an old waterpump. I can still make it turn by hand. It comes with an extra set of heads and a pair of intakes a 2bbl and a 4bbl. The valve covers on the engine read HEMI Industrial. According to the info I got from a Hemi website and the casting numbers on the heads the engine is a 354 Dodge. How can I Tell if it is for certain a 354? Where are the casting numbers located on the block?
    Would this engine be ok to be used for a rod project. Is there a big difference between a regular Hemi and an indusrial one?

Thanks in advance, Gabe

2. rikaguilera

rikaguilera

I have found a few HEMIs,Flatheads, and a couple of Chevy 348/409 "W" motors. A friend here in town seems to be hording them, building them up (refresh) and is putting them into rods of all sorts. The motors are pretty fresh, because they have lived a life at very low RPM. I am not sure of the "little" differences, if any. I recently found a stash of HEMIs, (8) that the farmer is going to let go of pretty soon. I have taken the numbers off of the blocks, and am researching them soon. I don't think you would have any problems with the motor being used in a car. Might just need a freshen up, but that should be it.
    What are you going to put the motor in? My 27 roadster pick up is getting my Hemi.

3. Gr8ballsofir

Gr8ballsofir

The Block ID should be on the top of the block at the front of the valley opening, right at the timing chain cover. C is Chrysler, D is Dodge P is Plymouth and S is Desoto. I think the industrials are slightly heavier castings. You can get them decoded by asking the guys on The Forward Look or Desotoland

4. Bugman

Bugman

Industrial motors don't always have the proper crankshaft of bellhousing bolt pattern for a street car. Some are reverse rotation, but those are mostly marine motors. The cam may be gear drivin, and if it is, a reverse rotation cam is needed. Gear drives can't be converted to standard chais drive because the crank doesn't have the necessary sholder on it.

-Bugman Jeff

5. Andy

Andy

From my experiece, The castings will be the same as then production pass cars. The pistons tend to be low compression and the valves are usually a lot smaller. The exhaust valves will be 7/16 stem with sodium inside. Rotators on exhaust also.

6. TexasDeuce

TexasDeuce

I'm not sure what I'm goona put it in, but I think it would look nice on my '31 Fordor project. I just completed a 327 SBC build upfor that one. I also have my eyes on a '32 pu here in town. we'll see.
    Thanks again for the info...Gabe

7. Nick

Nick

A friend of mine has one in his 32 coupe. It was origionally off of a railroad snow plow. He bought an adapter and flywheel to hook it up to a 4 speed without any problems.

8. I'm running an industrial hemi that is nearly identical to the automotive ones. I have seen indsutrial hemis with addition openings on the front of the block to the water jacket.

Most of the industrial hemis have a plate on the back left side of the block. What does your's say? I'll see if I can look it up.

9. TERPU

TERPU

Check the crank. Some industrial motors used gears to drive accessories, There will be no step in the crank to run a regular timing gear. This will require welding up the crank and machining, or just putting in a regular crank. I found this out after purchase so beware!

Terpu

10. Machinos

Machinos

All the ones I've seen pics of also had humps in the valve covers for adjustable rockers.

11. But don't think that since the valve covers have the dimples for the adjustable rockers that there are actually adjustable rockers under them. I've yet to see an industrial that has them.

12. Jdee

Jdee

This was one I would guess.
    It ran off of propane [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Not the car the in the back but the noise maker.
    Jdee