Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hemis and fridges

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by J Man, Jan 8, 2004.

1. J Man

J Man
    from Angola, IN

What years was the Hemi used?

Also I found an old fridge, the kind with the drum on top. What year would it be from? Thanks

2. jerry

jerry

the fridge would be from the 30's. also called a monitor top.

jerry

3. Hell, their STILL bein used.....but I know what you're asking.. Chrysler started using them in '51 and the last U.S. production cars used them in '58....

4. 48_HEMI

48_HEMI

[ QUOTE ]
    Hell, their STILL bein used.....but I know what you're asking.. Chrysler started using them in '51 and the last U.S. production cars used them in '58....

[/ QUOTE ]

Go ahead with of the rest of the story ROCKY [​IMG] but tell em that us nostalgia guys never included 426 HEMI'S in our list
    of motors [​IMG]

5. briggs&strattonChev

briggs&strattonChev

idk jack shit about mopars, hell, id be outwitted by Joe Dirt lol

but, the 426 hemi was never in a production car? after 58 they were done?? huh? werent there like hemi mullet cars like roadrunners and such?

wait a sec, are you just talkin chrysler as in chrysler cars excluding dodge and plymouth? im too confused, I shoulda never opened this lol..................school me please

6. studeboy

studeboy

Briggs, What Rocky and 48hemi are refering to is that the Hemis seen in the types of cars on this board are not the later 426ci engines. Early Hemis were built from '51-'58 by Chrysler, Desoto , and Dodge. The 426 wasn't built 'til the mid '60s ('66 I think). The 426 was a production motor until 1971. The current Dodge truck is a new engine. (It will be offered in Chrysler's car line later this year.) Hope that this helps to clear some of you confusion.

Eric

ps The 426 is being built as a crate motor by Mopar. I believe it's now 472ci. Cost $10k.

============================================================

49 Studebaker P/U

Attached Files:

7. plmczy

plmczy

There was also a prototype Hemi built in 1973. Roadrunner= mullet mobile? Nah, don't think so [​IMG]. later plmczy

8. The 426 Hemi is a completely different block than the 58 and earlier hemi. The Chrysler engineers learned on the early hemi and the 426 was an ANIMAL! I'd love to have a 426 but they're just a leetle too rich for ol' Rocky's pocketbook...
    When I think of 426's, I imagine me in a 33 or 34 Plymouth/Dodge open wheeled coupe sportin a 426 with the 833 Chrysler 4 speed.........I begin to ooze, just thinkin about it.....

9. I'm with Rocky, I would love a 426 hemi. Badass to the bone. An early hemi (the 50's series) is also nice, they definitely have a nicer look in an old car than the 426. As long as we're dreaming, make my 426 one of those new 528 stroker crate set-ups.

10. J Man

J Man
    from Angola, IN

What I was wanting to know were the years of the original Hemis. Dodge, Plymouth or Chrysler.

11. SKR8PN

SKR8PN

12. J Man

J Man
    from Angola, IN

I clicked on the first link and they did not list any Plymouths, did they not get a HEMI?

13. [ QUOTE ]
    Briggs, What Rocky and 48hemi are refering to is that the Hemis seen in the types of cars on this board are not the later 426ci engines. Early Hemis were built from '51-'58 by Chrysler, Desoto , and Dodge. The 426 wasn't built 'til the mid '60s ('66 I think). The 426 was a production motor until 1971. The current Dodge truck is a new engine. (It will be offered in Chrysler's car line later this year.) Hope that this helps to clear some of you confusion.

Eric

ps The 426 is being built as a crate motor by Mopar. I believe it's now 472ci. Cost $10k.

============================================================

49 Studebaker P/U

[/ QUOTE ] Uh if I had 426 Hemi it would be seen in a car on this board [​IMG] [​IMG] Not old school but....I am a kind of run what ya brung type.
    I think Mercedes uh MOPAR uh Chrysler was building a real behemoth like around 500 cubes (or something like it) based on the old 426 design.

The early hemi did end in '58. Never an engine built that had more going for it as far as cool factor. I found a red ram from a dumptruck in a barn a couple of years ago. Probably still there, the old guy was gonna put it in a tracter or somethin. Very complete and very runnable. Gawd would I like to get my hands on that one.

14. Bugman

Bugman

Plymouth never got the early Hemi [​IMG]. It had what was called a Poly. Basically it is a hemi block with cheaper and smaller heads on it. Remember Plymouth was the cheapest of the Mopar lines.

-Bugman Jeff