Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hemi to Chev distributor adapter

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TDWZ28, Aug 26, 2010.

1. TDWZ28

TDWZ28
    from Michigan

Anyone ever use the adapter that Hot Heads sells for installing a Chev dist in a 392 hemi? Any pros and cons to using it? I am looking at options for my engine. I want to use a point style dist. I have some for chev already set-up.
    Thanks.

2. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

I havent used it yet but i bought one and plan on using it with a vertex mag ( chevrolet) on a blown hemi. Looks realy good so far, nice quality and makes sense to me..

3. Roadsir

Roadsir

I was going to..but I just came across a NOS Vertex Magneto, with plug wires, that I just bought off Craigslist. Can't wait to get it....

4. deucegasser

deucegasser

I bought one. Jacks the dist. up kinda high. Had my buddy machine the vertex(chev.) base to fit the hemi.

5. Demon Seed

Demon Seed
    from BF-AZ

Hotheads also sells a longer intermediate shaft which allows the use of a stock small block Mopar distributor, points or electronic and it sits at stock height.

6. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Go for it. Any time you an adapt Chevy stuff to any "foreign" brand engine you've taken a step UP.:cool::D

Frank

7. lets see some pic's guys!!

8. RodStRace

RodStRace

9. Seriously guys? Just my opinion but what part of ugly don't you get?

I converted a SBC supermag but it wasn't hot enough for what I wanted. Check it out here.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=279829&highlight=supermag+hemi

And has been stated a SBM distributor will fit directly with very little fiddling if you have to.

On my blown 354 in the coupe I used the stock dual point to trigger a Mallory Hyfire box for a while but stuck a Pertronix in to resolve a persistant breaker plate grounding issue.

10. TDWZ28

TDWZ28
    from Michigan

Thanks for the replies. I'll look into the SBM one too.

11. Demon Seed

Demon Seed
    from BF-AZ

Here's a stock small block Mopar electronic unit on my 331. There's two ways to do this. You can modify the lower shaft of the distributor using a Hotheads kit or use their longer intermediate shaft. Either works just fine but the longer intermediate shaft is less hastle if you ever want to change the distributor. With that any SBM distributor, stock or aftermarket will slip right in.

[​IMG]

12. t2dfyre

t2dfyre

So what did you ended up using on your 331?? The interm shaft or the adapter?

13. Oldskool56

Oldskool56

deucegasser is right, it puts the dist to high and can cause some clearance issues on the firewall. I didnt like the fit either and sent it back to HH and got the MSD drop in version for my 392. They are very good people to deal with.