Register now to get rid of these ads!

HEMI Tech: Water pump. Change? Rebuild? Run it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scootermcrad, Jun 21, 2006.

1. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Okay, this sort of stemmed from another HEMI Tech post involving the change from the stock early Hemi water pump to a SBC or BBC water pump.

So, here's a good place to voice some opinions about pros and cons of changing water pumps on early Hemi engines. I don't know much about Dodge or Desoto, but I suppose they may have the same scenario to discuss along with the early Chrysler motors.

Seems like there are a few options available...

- Rebuild the stock pump with modern parts
    - Rebuild it with the help of another Mopar water pump
    - Replace it with a Chevy pump using a conversion kit furnished by several retailers including Hot Hemi Heads, Mooneyes, Speedway Motors and several others.

Let's hear some input on rebuilds, rebuild procedures, interchangable parts, what modifications would have to be done to even change over to a different pump (snub nosed cam, timing cover, fuel pump relocation, etc.), and maybe just some general pros and cons.

Here's a discussion already started about replacing the stock pump with a Chevy pump:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=116147&&showall=1

Okay... let 'er rip!

2. stank468

stank468

Okay... let 'er rip![/quote]

I like the Chevy conversion... Available in aluminum, and available everywhere!

3. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Who rebuilds Hemi pumps? I did a search looking for a thread I saw awhile back and someone brought up using parts from other Mopar pumps and even showed what to look for. Maybe someone can link us to it or relist the info.

4. Egge will for $80.

BloodyKnuckles

5. Gr8ballsofir

Gr8ballsofir

Napa has new ones in stock...

6. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

:eek: For early Hemis???? Really??!! Do tell!

7. junkyardgenius

junkyardgenius
    from Kernow

I,m going to use a Chevy pump simply because when I got my Hemi the water pump was missing. I,m in England and there is not a lot of early Hemi stuff here.
    Can,t praise Bob Walker and the crew at HotHeads enough they have been really helpfull, likewise all the people on her Bass , Old Fueller etc who have come to my aid and anwered my silly questions. thanks guys and keep The Hemi info coming

8. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

It might have been mine - if so it could it be this one:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=92512

Either way I hope it may help.

9. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That wasn't it, but that basically says everything that the other did! Perefect! Thanks for linking that!

10. Gr8ballsofir

Gr8ballsofir

11. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

12. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

13. 4tford

4tford

Kanter sells them but they are 110 dollars.

14. old kid

old kid
    Member Emeritus
    from middle ga

i used a chevy pump because when you ask for any desoto part, you are treated like you just rode up on a camel. if i have a problem with my water pump in the middle of nowhere i will still be able to get a chevy pump. the downside to the conversion is there is no way to use a mechanical fuel pump with the custom front cover.
    dan

15. George

George

Don't know about the DeSoto, but the long BBC pump will fit over the stock '55 331 Chr. cover.

16. Gr8ballsofir

Gr8ballsofir

The Desoto doesn't have the water crossover holes in the heads like the Chrysler. The crossover is in the intake manifold.

17. Ichoptop

Ichoptop

heres what I am running. I mocked it all up before I started building my motor just to make sure everything would work ok. Big Block Chevy water pump with Hot Heads Adapters and an old thermostat housing I got from my dad that he use to run on his altered back in the day. I couldnt find a piece of hose to make the radius without kinking so I opted for copper.
    The water pump saves about 20 pounds and I dont care about tradition. Hot Rods are all about going faster, handling better and stopping better....even if it is 20 pounds.

Attached Files:

18. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

Hot Rods are also about being Visually pleasing..

That looks like a Blind Plumbers Nightmare... sorry Man...

19. How does your water pump pulley fit? I only ask becose your thermostat housing looks a little close to your water pump.

20. Mooseman

Mooseman

I am all ears on this thread , well all eyes is probably the better term

21. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just curious. Why didn't you run the stock type water crossover with the thermostat seat built in? Did you do a head swap between a 392 and 354?

Only curious.

22. Ichoptop

Ichoptop

Well, My motor is a 331 so I didnt have one. I did have a thermostat housing and I am a cheap bastard.

23. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hmmm... 331 passenger car motor with the water ports out the front of the heads, right? I believe I have the same heads. Doesn't the 354 water crossover work? Now you have me wondering.

24. George

George

Yes, direct bolt on.

25. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I thought so. Thanks George! :)

26. Ichoptop

Ichoptop

The thermo housing is actually offset a few inches from the CL of the pulley. It's hard to tell with the pic. There wont't be an issue with it.

Desoto, you want astetically pleasing?....go buy a Gucci bag.

27. Cad La Dave

Cad La Dave
    from CA

the hot ticket would seem to be using a sbc alum pump on an early 331 that has a built in stator... No ugly generator hanging off the side....

28. Soviet

Soviet

Built in stator? Do show and tell, I've never heard of such an animal.

29. Gr8ballsofir

Gr8ballsofir

I saw a roadster a couple of years ago with an Imperial hemi and it had a Messerschmidt water pump. It was cool.

30. Cad La Dave

Cad La Dave
    from CA

http://store.jetracinginc.com/rmcs21v.html

Although the look kinda lame they look good in all black, they can make them more powerful as well.... Mine is being made to pump out 64 amps. Should be good enough for an electric fuel pump and some lights....