Register now to get rid of these ads!

HEMI Tech- Transmission adapters, flywheels, starters

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scootermcrad, Jul 4, 2006.

1. coopsdaddy

coopsdaddy
    from oklahoma

Did Ansen make a 392 to Muncie adaptor?

2. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Two ways to get there. Use a 392 to SB Mopar adapter and find a SB Mopar to GM bellhousing. Or use a 392 to GM trans adapter and use the GM bellhousing, etc.

3. coopsdaddy

coopsdaddy
    from oklahoma

Thanks, a guy called and said he had a 11 weber alum flywheel and Ansen bellhousing that bolts to back of hemi and had a Muncie pattern?

4. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Some things to watch out for when buying these old set-ups. 1: Are ALL the pieces there? 2:What does it use for a starter?

5. TDWZ28

TDWZ28
    from Michigan

I sold a set-up like that a couple of days ago. NOS Ansen adapter and a used weber flywheel for 200 bucks.

6. coopsdaddy

coopsdaddy
    from oklahoma

Heres the pics,i bet its the same guy(richard).
    Can anybody id this?

Attached Files:

7. 73RR

73RR

It appears to these old eyes that your bell is designed to be used with an oem starter mounting plate. Many, if not all, of the bellhousing adapters required the 57-58 plate so that the common 12volt starter could be used. The 57-58 starter mounting plate then required the 172 tooth flywheel, so you will need to verify what you have.

8. TDWZ28

TDWZ28
    from Michigan

I'm thinking so. Davison Michigan? Small world.

9. I used a Ansen Scatershield belhousing to a Muncie trans with a Hemi to Chev adapter and it worked out well. I used a mini Chrysler starer and milled a pocket in the Ansen for the nose of the starter, that does not show from the outside.
    This picture does not show it very clearly, but it's the best that I've got of it.

Attached Files:

10. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

has anyone been able to bolt up a modern model hemi transmission to our 354 blocks? i know the dowel pins are off and some mounting holes. but seriously...drilling some new holes is all you need to do. i read that the 354 crankshaft is sticking out more....well why not make a spacer to push the tranny back a little? if you did all i mentioned could this work?

11. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Seriously No. Thats why we offer the complete adapter kits. 1: There is no material to drill the new dowel holes. 2: There is no way to get the starter to mesh with the ring gear. 3: there is no way to center the flexplate on the crank hub even if you could get a starter to work. 4: the new hemi uses an 8 bolt flange but on a smaller diameter pattern. 5: The new hemi ring gear is on the flex plate.

12. 73RR

73RR

Thanks Tom...obviously, I haven't looked at that new fangled stuff to know about the ring gear change.
    Not sure why a guy would want to use one of those whiz-bang computer controlled jobs anyway...

13. coopsdaddy

coopsdaddy
    from oklahoma

Which one would be the best to use behind a 331 with a wilcap adaptor,any idea what oe use was(55 chevy?68 camaro?)

Attached Files:

• bh1.jpg
      bh1.jpg
      File size:
      36.7 KB
      Views:
    • bh.jpg
      bh.jpg
      File size:
      33.5 KB
      Views:
  14. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

I would call Wilcap and ask Pat for his recommendation.

15. Can anyone give me the correct dimensions of a manual bellhousing from front face (lower dowel hole area)to rear face and also from side mount hole to rear face. I think my big ole truck bellhousing is not the same as a standard poly bellhousing. Input shaft is too short and the distance from rear face to driveshaft has shrunk about 3/4 inch.
    The old 6 cyl trans wont meet the clutch splines enough to make me happy. If a normal bellhousing is shorter than what I'm working with it will all be fine.
    Dave Wilkes

16. 68barracuda

68barracuda

Hi Guys,
    Have secure a 354 Hemi complete from front to back and top to bottom - the autobox have to go.......have my eyes set on an a518 46rh - this whol lot is aimed a a 57 D100 stepside - so I will be ordering in an adapter plate from your side of the pond
    Regards
    Fanie Gerber

Will keep you posted - aiming to put the PowerGiant back on the road

17. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

That unit looks identical to the units I had.... Transdapt from the early to mid-60's

18. 68barracuda

68barracuda

So it turned out to be a 354 poly out of a 58 saratoga - 4bbl and all:D

19. 68Cuda....still a good block - now you just need some heads....pretty sure the intake will work with the 331/354 hemi heads...

and by the way....I have a fish fedish too....with a few A-bodys about...

20. George

George

Yeah, intakes interchange. Should be noted that the OEM ratings are...340 hp for the hemi & the Poly isn't far behind @ 310 for the '58.

21. What's the matter with the heads he has ?
    Looking for truck heads? As in power giant ?

22. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Let's maybe try to keep this on the topic at hand, gents. Great discussion for the section covering heads and/or the Poly threads.

Oh... and if you don't want those Poly heads, I'll take 'em. I dig Polys. :) But then I'm weird like that.

23. will I get beat...up.....?....having trouble with a 1956 331 poly motor in my newest drive way sitter - a wagon...motor turns over by hand..all factory stuff..on it...

looks like a good motor to body ground...

all belts off - just turning a crank over - and it drags really slow

like really slow - pulled plugs after oil change to get some lube on...

still really slow.....

starter looks fresh - really clean....?

all my good batteries on er' and she still drags over...

changed motor oil - allthough clean - first....

most likely pull starter - not many rebuilders left...

any help would be appreciated...

read all 12 pages of posts....

24. make that 14 pages.....

25. 73RR

73RR

If/when it is needed, industrial rebuild shops will re-do your starter but they will not be cheap.
    The first thing I would check, and probably replace, are the battery cables. As is the case today, the factory did not spend any more money than necessary on small parts like the cables so they were a bit 'smallish' IMO. A fatter cable often cures slow spinning starts.

26. To amplify that, make sure you have some very good ground wires. I had issues with that when I put my coupe together.

27. Yea direct from batter to block close to starter.
    There's a remark about a body ground to frame, idk if there's others but that one is useless for starting

28. thanks - 73RR , Kerry and 31Vicky....will replace those wires - the main battery and there is a small one as well....

will look at that ground to body wire as well....

will be dropping the starter out and looking for a local guy here in Dallas area to check it out...

lawrence

29. johnny boracho

johnny boracho

Hope I don't get flamed,( been using search button ) but I've changed directions with my project and would like to know about which adapter will work for my 331 Hemi Industrial (1956 non extended bell) to a 1939 ford 3 speed..I know HH & Wilcap sell them in the $450 range...but will an adapter like an Offy # 0403 or a Cragar # 403 work with a starter plate? I know these adapters say they are for the extended bell housings..?

30. 73RR

73RR

The adapter for the extended bell is completely different from all others. The extended bell actually utilizes an industry standard SAE #3 bolt pattern with the addition of the locating dowels.
    The Offy #430 is for the 51-53 Chrysler. You will need the Offy #401 or similar and it will require the oem block plate for which it was designed. I don't know which plate the Offy used but guessing the 'fat', 57-58, plate. This would then require the 172 tooth flywheel.

51 mercules likes this.