Register now to get rid of these ads!

HEMI Tech- Transmission adapters, flywheels, starters

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scootermcrad, Jul 4, 2006.

1. Soviet

Soviet

The setup I'm looking to use is a T56 trans with a Quick Time RM-6023 scatter shield and SBC to Hemi adapter with a self made integrated starter mount. I would be using a McLeod hydraulic T/O, so the only unknown would become the flywheel, as I don't have anything to start with. Making one to fit a BBC starter would be the way to go in my book, as parts availability and stout aftermarket would be unmatched. Thoughts?

2. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Anyone having left over trans adapters for a 331 extended block to a S10 T5 shoot me a PM.... Thanks

3. 73RR

73RR

Do some shiverlays not mount the starter to the bell? If you are making your own mount then the flywheel ring gear will simply be matched to the starter. You wheel choices are somewhat limited, although McGuire does have a special that he uses for his adapter package. Can you use it? If not, then the option is to use a 426Hemi wheel with a crank flange adapter and install the chebby gear. You will then make the starter location fit the position of the wheel. If you do not want to buy/use a crank flange adapter then weld up the crank and provide a register shoulder for the wheel....hell, while your are at it, weld up the flange and change the pattern to gm.....

4. Soviet

Soviet

Indeed they do, and I'm waiting to hear back from Quick Time on how the starter mounting is set up with their scattershields. I see that Wilcap uses a '66-99 Chrysler starter as well as a crankshaft spacer for his kit, and I'm wondering if it isn't because of the ease of setting up the flywheel ring gear with a 426 flywheel. Thanks a ton for the drawing, it's exactly what I was looking for! I have still yet to find a comparable drawing for the LS1/SBC/BBC

5. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

here ya go

Attached Files:

6. Soviet

Soviet

I found that picture on the net, but I needed the hole diameters and dowel pin sizes, as those are critical to crankshaft centerline. Ross McCombs of Quick Time Performance was kind enough to send me a dimensioned drawing of their SBC-T56 scattershield. One more piece of the puzzle falls into place. Now I just need to figure out how to stick a Chrysler starter into the SBC starter pocket.

7. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

[​IMG]

This thread keeps popping up...
    So I'll share...
    Last August I scored a NOS bonded face Scheifer... they're still out there.

[​IMG]

8. Soviet

Soviet

Fancy fancy! What are you doing for a transmission?

9. lucky13

lucky13

I am gonna be doing almost the same as a few of you guys. I am running either a 354 or a short bell 331 (depends on which one will be easier/cheaper to fix), and I have a viper T56 to run behind it. I was thinking of using the Wilcap adapter to a SBM manual trans and then running a Quicktime Bellhousing number is RM-8074 (SBM to viper T56). Then using a hydraulic throwout bearing and haven't figured out the clutch yet. I think this will all work together?

10. Skunk Works

Skunk Works

Ansen scattershield.JPG

^^^ THIS^^^ on a 354 Spitfire with a Wilcap adaptor to a Tremec TKO 600...

Last edited: Feb 21, 2010
  11. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

[​IMG]

Offy adapter to 50 olds short shaft lasalle...

51 mercules likes this.
  12. Minewithnoshine

Minewithnoshine

When I was up at the Rolling Bones open house, Dennis Varni had an adapter there made by Benson's. Adapting a Desoto hemi to a GM pattern T5. It was a great looking setup, came with adapter, flywheel, clutch, starter, clutch fork, all hardware, it was very complete. I haven't heard much about them on here and can't really find anything online either.

13. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Tuck, I thought you decided not to go with this thing. Change your mind?

14. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Is this actually a Viper transmission or is this an F-body GM/Tremec bodied T-56 with Viper internals? Supposedly the the actual Viper 6-speed has a very different bellhousing arrangement. Curious what you have.

15. lucky13

lucky13

Its an actual viper transmission. I even have the viper bellhousing also. Came out of a 95 (i think). I can take pics of it if you want em

16. Hot Rod Michelle

Hot Rod Michelle

I got my A-dapter plate and flywheel from Pat over at Wilcap. Stuff works great. Now I need to complete the remote thingy for the oil filter part.

17. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

scooter- that was a different flywheel- not bonded face- and used... I sold that one- and was going to stick with the steel flywheel- but then I found this!!! :-D

18. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

You find that ice fishing?!:eek::D

19. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Aaaaa! Jealous! Very nice!

Ouch! :rolleyes:

Definitely share when you get it all set up!

20. 73RR

73RR

What filter issues are you having?

21. To jump in here . . .

The SBC adapter setup that I bought from Pat/Wilcap has the starter pocket on the passenger's side -- to align with the starter pocket in a typical SBC bell-housing (I used a nice Sonic bell-housing - really nice, neat and 1/4" thick). This is exactly how I wanted it as the last thing I need is more crap on the driver's side (given the brake/clutch setup, steering, exhaust, etc).

With the starter on the passenger side, there is no room to hang a filter adapter downward, like most guys would likely do - it would hit the starter. There are some adapters that mount the filter in a horizontal way (along the side of the block), but you can imagine the PITA that is when you actually change one and the oil goes every damn place. I'll probably use a remote adapter anyway - potentially with a race filter setup.

Here is a link to an early post that shows me setup - lots of pictures so you can see exactly where everything aligns.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=107758

22. George

George

There's also the OEM up angle adaptor from HH, that's what big pans are for!

23. I absolutely hate it when oil runs down the side of the block, into the starter . . . all over the damn place. No upside-down or horizontal adapters for this kid - they all 'suck' in my mind :eek:

24. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep! Ran into this same problem with the same adapter. I used a remote adapter and filter. Not as clean looking, but it worked.

I like the starter on the drivers side better.

25. George

George

Torsion bars on a 60 Plym causes same problem, went with the up angle, probably no worse than the horizontal one on the 383.

26. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

I thought I would post an update on my early hemi to standard transmission adapter.

As many of you know, most standard shift adapter kits require that you purchase the flywheel from the same vendor, due to the fact that they incorporate the pilot bushing into the center. One of the features of my adapter kit is the ability of the end user to buy an over the counter flywheel. This is due to my own design of installing the pilot bearing in my crank hub adapter.

The first picture shows my hub with a roller pilot bearing installed. This works great. But I have recently added a second center hub (second picture) which uses a bronze pilot bushing. Both will work great, but I made the change due in part to the requests I get from those wanting to use an alternate transmission, such as a T5. I can now adapt to virtually any pilot bushing quite easily.

Attached Files:

27. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Excellent! Thanks for sharing that!

28. krooser

krooser

Ya spelled it wrong! here ya go... http://www.transmissionadapters.com/

Okay now... we've talked about adapters a whole bunch but NOT much about the actual flywheels and clutches you guys are using...

My Hemi project ran out of $$$ a couple years ago... but this summer is the time to get it running (it's been four long years...geez!)... I PLAN on buying a MOPAR performance flywheel to mate up to my TR Waters adapter... what are you guys using? Any preferences?

29. When I checked around for a Hemi to GM Automatic adapter, I opted for the Wilcap with the starter on the passanger side. I didn't want any interference with steering gear. There really isn't any room to install an oil filter adapter, to change the angle of the filter, so I installed the Stock set-up with the cannister. I, too, hate dirty oil all over everything when oil/filter change time comes. I drilled/tapped the filter housing for a radiator drain type stop cock, angled/ located so that when opened, it points straight down. I stick a short piece of hose in the end of it for draining, then pull it off when done. After the cannister is drained, THEN I remove/change the filter...and close the drain cock. Not a drop of oil on anything. You can't see the drain in this picture, but you can see what a mess it would have made with out it...

Attached Files:

• 107.JPG
      107.JPG
      File size:
      42.2 KB
      Views:
  30. 73RR

73RR

Tony, just curious...why not use a remote with a good filter?