Register now to get rid of these ads!

HEMI Tech- Intakes and exhaust manifolds

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scootermcrad, Jul 5, 2006.

1. Dave's hemi

Dave's hemi

Like gunswanted, I to came across an Edelbrock ds495 intake manifold. Other than mine and his it's still the only manifolds I've seen. I'm not big on the desoto hemis, mostly focus on the Chrysler engines so I thought I'd let you guys know I put it up on eBay for anyone searching for one. (Not as good of shape as gunswanted manifold but will polish up nicely

Attached Files:

2. mrrilla

mrrilla
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Vail,AZ

I know this is an old thread but I am looking a 3x2 or 4x2 intake source. I can't afford the high dollar vintage Horne and similar intakes so who is making the tube manifolds and/or u-fab kits? Again only looking for 3x2 or 4x2 for a Chrysler hemi.

3. Gear drive speed has a 6x2 log cast in aluminum. There are kits for steel u fab intakes on ebay for around 125. There was some one building the u fab intakes a few years ago, but I cant recall who.

loudbang likes this.
  4. jack_pine

jack_pine
    from Motor City

received_1005388449849792.jpeg received_1991660177610069.jpeg received_10208849921140454.jpeg Hi, Folks... I thought I was in the home stretch on my hemi-powered project, a 1965 Dodge D100 with a 1958 392 Hemi & Tremec 5 speed.

We got too clever, I guess. We took the drivetrain out and I traded off the Sid's dropped axle & disc brake setup. Then we went ahead and installed a Crown Vic front end.

All the welding is done and when we went to drop the drivetrain back in... my prized 4-bolt manifolds crash into the original engine mount on the CV frame. I posted a pic where you can see the manifold flange just a little ways above the stand for the engine mount on the CV crossmember.

I checked the Hot Heads site... they have a nice diagram showing how all of the headers they offer would absolutely not work. I am faced with either fabbing up a set of headers or... trying to find some kind of "rear dump" OEM manifolds. If the collector were moved back a bit, everything would be fine.

I contacted Sanderson who made a beautiful set of manifolds for my 270 Dodge poly (hand-crafted engine by none other than 73RR). They can't move the collector back unless I send them my truck and (cough) $1500.

So, anybody have any ideas?

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
  5. In the big scheme of things 1500 for custom headers isn't bad and Sanderson in California isn't the only ones who'd do it, I'd do it for you in Ohio. I'd bet there's a few someone's in Detroit as well.

Now you'll be into modifications someplace to get this done.
    Cut out or notch the offending CV parts.
    Modify a set of headers from a BBC, LS, or Ford
    Modifying your plan and Change the front end to suit the hemi or change the hemi to an engine that suits the front end and both of those seem way to drastic if just 1500 gets you out of the jam.

I'd have to look at it the whole thing but my gut tells me hack the offending CV stuff out of the way would be the best way as that is the problem. Exhaust that doesn't fit is the symptom, but without looking or being familiar with the CV setup modify or custom make the exhaust might be easier

6. Something to think about
    Modify or build your own
    image.png image.png image.png
    Very primitive but Something like these could be turned around with a turndown collector
    Make them nicer if you want
    image.jpg

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
    Deuces likes this.
  7. 73RR

73RR

Jon, very interesting dilemma and I'll expand on our PM.
    As said, I'd look hard at the CV parts and see how much whittling could be done in order to clear a 3" pipe.
    Also, as mentioned, we have in years past, used brand 'x' headers that fit the chassis and welded on Hemi flanges to suit the build. This can be a bit time consuming but well within reason, dollar wise. The biggest issue will be with the flange angle on the Hemi compared to all other engines.
    This is a Gibson header, no idea what the application is (flange looks like bbc)(stole the pic off the web) but the basic design looks promising. No doubt someone there could ID the part.
    [​IMG]

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  8. That's an ls manifold pattern holes on center
    BBC hole pattern is high low high

9. 73RR

73RR

....it could be just about anything in my world...just not EarlyHemi...:p just thought the design could offer something of value.

10. jack_pine

jack_pine
    from Motor City

We ordered LS manifolds & Hemi flanges from Patriot because they have a "tight tuck" piece which has rear dump & is tight to the engine. Here is a pic of a hemi exhaust gasket laid over the LS manifold received_1858673194237688.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G892A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. Maybe a marine exhaust of some sort can be modified?
    upload_2019-4-8_8-23-44.jpeg

Deuces likes this.
  12. jack_pine

jack_pine
    from Motor City

I would love to run something like that but from my understanding, they have to be cooled... they are used to being cooled by lake water!

13. George

George

Industrial ones look similar.

14. Little pushing after the cutting and you’ll be good.

I made oval transitions to round to take advantage of the large ports and funnel into round primary tubes.

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  15. 73RR

73RR

Wow.
    So... shiverlay parts do have some value...;) The angle to the head should be easy to address.

jack_pine and Hnstray like this.
  16. jack_pine

jack_pine
    from Motor City

Well....we keep trying. This set from Patriot hits the starter. I basically need a block hugger with offset collector. Pics show yellow box where collector needs to be. Last pic shows the optimal space where headers would fit. @31Vicky...if your shop were closer....vehicle is in TN right now. received_427255071376636.jpeg received_2135956783153680.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G892A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

17. I can’t really move it lol

The standard issue block huggers won’t work?

18. The 4 in a row layout gives room different than
    2 +2
    And there’s a little different things in all of them 558890C0-1D69-40C6-8AB9-D276DF58C609.png CABE0B4B-CB13-441E-851E-E0AA55D00630.png

Hnstray likes this.
  19. KFC

KFC
    from UK

town sedan likes this.
  20. 8thdaycr8

8thdaycr8

I had my headers made with cutouts and then had them coated. This is for my 270 Hemi.

Attached Files:

loudbang, town sedan and Deuces like this.
  21. George

George

[​IMG] 300 intakes were cast after hemi production ended!

22. So what do you make of that?

23. George

George

I'm guessing high demand from drag racers caused extra runs. The posting in another Forum where I grabbed the photo reports casting dates as late as '64!

24. SEAAIRE354

SEAAIRE354

I’ve read on other threads that they continued to make them for marine applications. I have one in storage that I’m interested to see when it was made.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

25. George

George

That isn't a marine intake. Marine intakes are 2 piece & bolt together.