Register now to get rid of these ads!

HEMI Tech - Daimler Hemis

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scootermcrad, Apr 22, 2009.

1. That´s going to be immensely cool. What am I saying, it already is.

dana barlow likes this.
  2. rovertenrod

rovertenrod

Not sure if this will work off my phone. here goes.

Attached Files:

3. Weasel

Weasel

Thanks Dave - that looks like a great solution, but unfortunately that is exactly where my power steering pump is mounted. I did however find a couple of original generator mounting brackets and I may just go with those, modified to use an alternator with a shroud like this example....

[​IMG]

4. Weasel

Weasel

Here are a few more pix I found on the web - first off the 4.5 Litre Majestic Major engine....

[​IMG]

5. Weasel

Weasel

Then the 250 - this one from the SP250 which has a completely different oil pan and pickup from the saloon/sedan version of this engine....

[​IMG]

6. Weasel

Weasel

Then a couple of the sedan version....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Weasel

Weasel

And original brochure illustrations....

[​IMG]

8. Weasel

Weasel

9. rovertenrod

rovertenrod

It would have been easier on the other side but the steering rack was in the way in my application. They originally had an alternator or dynamo attached to brackets mounted to the timing cover/ inlet manifold/ tapper chest- cam carrier.

10. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Here is one in a "Benson" Midget my friend campaigned in the early 70's, very competitive!

Attached Files:

11. 58_Ford

58_Ford
    from Phoenix

12. Interesting piece that .
    The problem is , as illustrated in the pictures, it won't bolt onto a Daimler 250 V8. The outlets (lower side) do not match the Daimler head. The ports on the head are circular and the attaching bolts are in a straight line. The oval shaped arrangement is a curious one.

I believe that either there is a lower section of the manifold missing or it isn't what the vendor thinks it is.

I'm inclined to the view its not complete particularly since the ram tubes are also missing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

I'd bet by the runner design that it's off of something with 4 valves per cylinder and siamese runners. Probably also dual overhead cam.

14. By way of update here are some recent pics and some youtube clips.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

falcongeorge likes this.
  15. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I remember a very competitive black B/P SP250 that raced at Westwood when I was a kid.

16. chevy6600

chevy6600

Hi all, I thought you may be interested in my version of an intake manifold that I made for the Daimler V8 450 as fitted to the DQ450 and DR450 Daimlers.

My story is, I started building my Rod some 40 years ago, the car is a ford popular, or as you in the usa call an anglia, jaguar rear axle with triumph front suspension and after some 10 years and still not finished I got married and it all came to a stop.

Well coming back to the engine, I have had the cam re-profiled higher compression heads, and after some years into the project I decided I had to do something for a manifold. At this time of my life I was into engineering, casting and electroplating, so set about making moulds for casting which took me weeks to design and make by hand. But while pouring the metal the moulds burst open and destroyed all my work. So I decided to take a different way of tackling my problem, so after making just the internals of a manifold this time in plaster of parris I then researched high temperature resins and decided I would use fibreglass and a high temperature resin and made what you see in the photo. I had run the engine to test it out and was darn pleased with the result. As it happened, the following week ford announced on the television they had made a plastic manifold for some car themselves. But after getting married I had other priorities and the car never got finished. It is some 40 years now and I am at a time of life when health issues rear their head and I realise I have to pass on my Hot Rod before it is too late, so i`m selling my car and hope that the new owner has the same enthusiasm to finish it off.

17. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Nice work. Not to piss in your posies, but aftermarket manifold companies have built prototypes this way for decades. Somewhere I have a pic of the first FE streetmaster in fiberglass resin.

18. chevy6600

chevy6600

Hi faclcongeorge, your not as you say, `pissing on my posies` by all accounts i`m very interested in hearing more, It is a shame I had not found this forum and joined years ago, I was browsing to find torque settings for the Daimler 450 engine to give the new owner then landed here and got interested again. I had originally had the idea from various sources at the time and hearing the car manufacturers were looking into plastic engine parts I put 2 and 2 together and thought I would have a go myself but it never occurred to me they actually laminate them the same way I did even for a prototype.

It is amazing to hear of this now, it just goes to show your never too old to learn. I often wondered how the manufacturers arrived at a marketable manifold or any other part for that matter. At the time my mates use to laugh and joke about my plastic manifold, i use to take it all in good spirit though, if I knew the manufacturers were doing the same it would of made my case stronger. Lol

19. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

They have been doing R&D prototypes this way since at least the seventies, I will see if I can round up a few pics.

20. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Really nice distinctive sound.