Register now to get rid of these ads!

HEMI Tech - Cooling Systems

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scootermcrad, Jan 6, 2012.

1. 73RR

73RR

^^^^^Excellent! ^^^^^

2. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

I thought I would toss this out. I now offer these remote thermostat housings. These are far superior to the old Offy and Weiand units. They are machined, not cast. The upper water neck bolt pattern is perpendiculiar to the housing, not off at an angle. Available in two versions..hoses out the side and hoses out the bottom. They come with a nice flat, drilled and tapped mounting surface.

Attached Files:

Hnstray likes this.
  3. Weasel

Weasel

This is what I am doing in my all steel Willys - not a blown hemi but a high revving (9000 rpm) exotic and rare twisted hemi race engine with a relatively high thermal load. Running waterless coolant and an unpressurized cooling system with a brass and copper crossflow radiator and dual electric puller fans shrouded with pass thru vents on the shroud.

Power flush the coolant out of your system - as much as you can possibly get out and must be better than 95%, fill with Evans NPG+c and you may have solved all your cooling issues as well as any potential electrolysis problems in one fell swoop. Cheap? Hell no. Effective? Hell yes. And Leno uses it so it must be good....;)

www.evanscooling.com

Last edited: Feb 17, 2013
  4. George

George

The OEM 392 crossover fits the open front 55-56 331/354 heads on the 55-56 car blocks, timing cover interferes on 51-4 & the truck/marine/Ind that have the big timing cover . I imagine the 392 W/P would fit also.

5. Cookiejar

Cookiejar

Well I have now done a little again . I heard that a water pump for a 383 mopar was a close fit for the desoto hemi so I bought one and yes it is close . I took my timing chain cover water pump housing to a buddy with a milling machine and just had him open up the water pump opening by about .100" and just clean up the housing as the impeller scrubbed a bit. Then I just had to slot the holes in the pump slightly to match the housing bolt pattern. Pics to follow later.

6. Does anyone have any info on how these upper radiator hose are coming off the blower manifold? For specifics this is the original "pineapple princess" .
    Maybe there's some more pics in your stash-
    Maybe you did the work.

Now for non specifics how about some discussion on pulling this off.
    I have a crager manifold that I've been thinking about trying to pull off, been thinking on and off for a while. Wondering of course if i was the first one to contemplate then. Then I find this picture.
    I think some different hoses/hard lines would look pretty damn neat.

Attached Files:

7. 73RR

73RR

Those are really quite large hoses going to the manifold...there must be some sort of reducer at the manifold, then ya gotta wonder why he just didn't use a smaller line to the rad...
    None of the heads/manifolds have that size coolant port/hose connection so no clue what the builder had in mind.

8. This unit is powered by a 1953 Chrysler New Yorker, Hemi, bored to 364 cubic inches. The pistons are 8.2 to 1 Forgetrues. The cam is a Isky E-2 and the Hi-Rev kit was also supplied by Iskenderian. A Scintilla Vertex Magneto replaces the stock ignition, and a '61 Valiant alternator replaces the original generator. The intake manifold is a Crager blower manifold which mounts a 4.71 GMC blower. The whole assembly has been balanced. '56 Chrysker truck heads have been fully ported and polished and fitted with sodium cooled exhaust valves. Exhaust headers were built by Glen Smith.

Found this ^^^
    http://www.wagondriver.com/roadster.htm
    Truck heads have different center cooling outlet. Maybe that's a clue??

There's also some ink on it from march 1963 rod and custom but I can't read the scan.

9. George

George

Typically 354 std bore is considered max overbore on a 331, opened up to 364 & then throw a blower on it......though I have heard of bigger with a filled block for drag racing.

10. Man idk, its what it said in the link. Maybe it's got a stroker crank.
    My low deck at 421 cubic inches with a blower - whoo hoo!!! Living on the edge
    What do you know about the bolded part of that combo and getting water out of the side of a cragar manifold?

11. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

The crossover port in the center of truck heads flow water, unlike the car heads that flow exhaust.

12. Yes, but later today I found these pics.
    The hoses don't appear to be in the center or in line with those ports.
    Maybe they did something tricky in the manifold.

Attached Files:

13. Other side a few decades later

Attached Files:

14. Here's a vintage cragar, probably what's on that car and a little bit different than the ones today.

Attached Files:

15. Thru another thread and the excellence of hambers Infound out the 471 manifold is probably how this works. So it wasnt done on the 671 manifold I posted .
    I haven't been able to find a pic of a cragar 471 blower manifold yet.

16. [​IMG] [​IMG] Ask and Ye shall receive......... This would be related to the Cooling thread...... Still have to tap a boss on the drivers side for the h20 gauge. But- don't think I'll be too happy with a standard h20 neck that comes straight up= blower snout is very close,and would like something in the 90 degree range. Might have to make an adapter to fit a sbc neck......So recommendations sought. Running the stock front pump/housing/cross over. still figuring things out,but here's the money shot of the intake.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 25, 2015

17. Neat !!!
    That's a very cool looking set up for sure.
    Notice the dates? 1/26/14 to today 1/25/15 - 365 days to the receiving.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
  18. A lil late to the dance as always.....All the good chicks have dates,,,,,,,:( But- will update with progress!

19. I wouldn't say it's late, just delayed.
    I thought it was cool that it was 1 year exactly.
    Since you started your post with "ask and you shall receive" it reminded me of what the preacher has been getting at recently.

20. LOL! Just getting things together,and the span of several HEMI tech threads. This one pertained to the intake side,so figured i'de post up. Plus+ you had asked for the 4-71 intake pic........ A long slow process here,but ,I'm on that particular mission as of now. a 50+ year old intake, plus milled heads, plays a lot of games......:eek:. slowly but surely things are coming together.......And I didn't even look at the date........ My Bad- but..... Better late than never!;) If I asked my local preacher about what I was doing,he'd probably think I was crazy anyways!o_O

21. 73RR

73RR

Naw...he'd tell you that patience is a virtue...;)

22. TXMark

TXMark

23. TXMark

TXMark

overheating 331,
    I have a 331 poly block with 354 ind. heads#1677441 stock intake. with the exhaust crossover blocked off, 3 row alum. rad. Weiand high volume water pump, 16" electric fan 180 degree working T-stat. I have been in a conversation with Scooter McRad on this . I'm running this engine on attest stand with lots of air flow, the temp just keeps climbing after the t-stat opens.

24. George

George

Probably should start a new Thread instead of cluttering up the Tech Thread!:)

25. If anyone has one of these Supecharged water crossovers, please consider renting it for measurements and scanning purposes
    image.png

tartar_sammich and Hnstray like this.
  26. George

George

The new (@ least to me) Kanter catalog shows new or rebuilt water pumps for all early Hemis.

27. sdimpala64

sdimpala64
    from SD CA

Noticed a seller on ebay selling "NEW" 1951-1954 Chrysler 331 water pumps? Has anyone here purchased one?
    Any feedback on these water pumps?

28. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

The original water pump is cast iron, heavy and makes the engine 4" longer. But you can use the mechanical fuel pump. If you have the room, why not?

29. 392

The stock pump is tried and true. If space is a concern swap it. I’d compare it to the stock oil pump. To question I haven’t used the one on eBay but you can rebuild the one you have. Very simple. Or google who does.

30. George

George

Q.E.C. (73RR here on the Board) rebuilt my '55 W/P.