Register now to get rid of these ads!

HEMI Tech- Blowers, Superchargers, fuel injection

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scootermcrad, Jul 5, 2006.

1. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Fun topic!! Not too many things look as cool as a big ol' blower or line of fuel injection sitting on the roof of your Hemi!! So let's talk about what's involved and what should be considered.

1) Blowers...
    - When do I need a blower? :rolleyes:
    - What is the correct blower for my Hemi application?
    - What's available for the application?
    - Types of blowers? (I.E. Front mount, top mount, multiple set-ups)
    - Who's still making them and what were some legendary set-ups?
    - What should be considered for the internal and external components to make everything come together for a blower set-up? (I.E. Pistons, cam, carbs, water crossovers, pulleys, etc.)

2) Fuel injection...
    - When should fuel injection be considered and what's it good for?
    - Who made them and who's still making them?
    - Mechanical vs. electronic?
    - where can I get them?
    - what internal and external engine components should be considered?

3) Misc. Forced induction...
    - good place to talk about other systems like turbos or any other set-ups besides the above
    - component factors to be considered with any other systems mentioned?

2. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

3. axeman39

axeman39
    from Saco Maine

Check this out www.bigalstoybox.com I used this guy [Al Lombardo] when I built my blown small block for my nova. he is located in conn. he was more than helpful telling me everything that I needed to know, he even opened his shop on a Sunday just for me because it was the only day I could get there. He only deals with blowers and building engines for blowers, prices are reasonable and most parts are in stock. He even has complete engines in stock ready to drop in, all sizes and shapes including early Hemis.

Deuces likes this.
  4. panic

panic

5. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Simply, if in doubt, Blow it

Deuces likes this.
  6. Rik

Rik

In the August 07 issue of Rod & Custom is a pretty interesting article about mounting and hiding EFI on a old hemi. They are using stacks and hide the injectors and regulator underneath the valley cover. Looks pretty nice (page 48)
    Rik

Deuces likes this.
  7. dehudso

dehudso

In the book, the best of HOT ROD magazine: 1949-1959, there is an article about Bruce Crower's Blown hemi in a hudson coupe. Pretty informative. He used some low profile strombergs to fit under the stock hood. He fabbed up a drive system by casting his own pullies and using 5(if I remember correctly) v-belts with high-tension wire in them. He also was using a magneto with an adapter fabbed out of flat steel stock, using flathead ford parts.

The blower? None other than a GMC 6071.

8. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

So basicly their sticking a Banana in their pants then??

9. Shift_Taste

Shift_Taste
    from Ohio

We need real honest-to-pete desoto blower manifolds. I have seen a few intake conversions, but nothing I would put on a 60's style anything. Pretty sure weiand made them in the 60's. If nothing else, someone please share any info on what was made (4-71, 6-71, low deck, tall deck, big port, small port, part #'s, etc.). I have a 276 with 341 heads just begging for air.

10. What about one of these?...

Attached Files:

classiccarjack likes this.
  11. Hey 345, tell us a bit more about your intake setup .....please?

Rat

12. RAT - The reason I went to this intake set up was because the availability of DeSoto blower intakes is nil. If you DO find a cast one, you'll have to pay stupid money for it. I don't especially like the look of the U-Weld-It ones, I'm not about to pay to have one made, and I can't weld one up myself...thus what I did.
    Back in the 60's/70's you could buy a generic aluminum blower intake mount, and have it welded to an after market aluminum 2x4 intake...that's saying you could find an aluminum 2x4 intake for your particular engine. Back to square one...no such thing for our DeSoto's. As I remembered it, back then, guys were taking an aluminum plate, boring the carburetor and stud holes in it, and welding the plate to the blower mount. This way, you didn't need to spring for the cost of a 2x4 intake. That's what I did.
    I originally was going to use my 291 4bl intake, but a guy wanted to trade me an aluminum Edmonds 2x2 intake for it, so that's what I used. Saved a bunch of weight, and the fuel distribution is better...plus the blower mount sits lower than it would have on the iron 4bl intake, but I could have milled the carb mounting pad lower.
    The blower base I bought on ebay (from Dyers). I used a 3/4" 6010 aluminum plate for the base. The only thing I did to the intake was to have the carb mounting pads milled flat and parallel to the crank center line. I had to also change the angle of the radiator hose inlet on the thermostat housing, to clear the drive pulley and point straight out. I used 1/2" 6010 aluminum plate for the carb mounts in the top, so that I could space the 2 Carter Competition series 500 CFM's to use an Edelbrock 2x4 Air Cleaner...besides, it cost WAY less than buying a ready made one. The base plate is fitted to the inside of the blower mount. Hope this helped...

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 31, 2010
    classiccarjack likes this.
  13. Nice work 345 !!

I have bounced this idea around in my head as well. Unfortunately 2x2 intakes for tall deck Desotos are as rare as blower intakes. Hell even single 4 BBL intakes are pricey and rare these days.

The Kiwi Hamber who was doing the 3x2, 2x4 and blower intakes for tall decks has gone AWOL; Ive tried contacting him a few times but no dice. He's probably been busy but hasnt replied to my emails so I don't know if theyre still being made or not.

Nice job let us know how she goes when it all together !

Rat

14. Lim34

Lim34

Can any of you guys help.

I have a 6-71 BDS with twin Edelbrocks on a 350 SBC, it just fits under the hood on my 48 Chevy Panel.

I'm looking for a EFI system. Any ideas !!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. focarman

focarman

I have what you need.
    I build EFI systems and throttle bodies for blowers and Webers carb manifolds.

16. Let's keep this thread on hemi's guys.

Here's a pic of the three v-belt drive I made for my 31 Pontiac. Works great. I make just shy of #8 of boost with this setup.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's the combo that'll go on the 354 in the digger. First off a late fifties Weiand Typhoon blower manifold. It's short and actually sets the blower slightly off to one side.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's the 6/71 I'll use that Gary Roushkolb built for me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And finally the mechanical Hilborn four port. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The engine is mostly together.

[​IMG]

Note the bearing support on the Delta timing cover for the crank and hub for the extra load of the blower pulley.

[​IMG]

ChevJerico likes this.
  17. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

You guys keep messin around with those blowers and hotrods and shit, your gonna get in trouble.:D:D:D

18. I CERTAINLY hope so...

19. Heck yeah Lippy! :)

20. BTW 345 Desoto, nice work!

21. Locomotive Breath

Locomotive Breath
    from Texas

That Delta timing cover is pretty cool, I'd like to have one of those.

22. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

We don't need no stinking blowers.:D:D [​IMG]

23. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Kerry! Thank you for posting that! Just SICK! Love it!

24. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Kerry, if you need a blower, you don't have enough nitro in the tank. :D Lippy, givin my buddy Kerry hell.

25. Man, you have no idea how bad I wanted to put some forged flat-tops I have in this engine. Would have been IT with the blower on nitro! You know I'm just a wanna be anyway, right? ;-) That special juice is just to darned expensive for a tightwad like me.

BTW Lippy, don't make me post the hydrolock photo. I think you threw more than enough can at it! That looked just plain depressing.

26. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Kerry, not only was it depressing...It was downright expensive!!:D

27. krooser

krooser

What are you guys doing for an oil fill tube when using a huffer?

I have an O'Briens finned valley cover with the little 3/8" pipe fitting on it... way too inconvienient to fill it thru that small hole... I'm trying not to punch a hole in my valve covers to use a rubber plug... pix would help.

Thanks.

28. 73RR

73RR

Sorry that I don't have a pic (the last virus took care of that...) but a few years back I was able to attach a piece of 3/4" tube to the fuel pump mount on the front cover and snake it up to the front of the cyl head.
    If you are using the tin cover there should be ample space to attach something, even in another location, the alum covers may require a little more finess.

29. In the coupe I got an oil filler from an OLD Massey Ferguson combine and welded it to the stock steel valley cover. You can see the cap right in front of the blower manifold on the pics I posted in this thread earlier.

On the digger I drilled a hole through the back of the block into the lifter gallery, tapped it, and used a 90 degree pipe fitting and a nipple.

[​IMG]