Register now to get rid of these ads!

HEMI Tech: Alternator? Generator? Acc. Brackets?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scootermcrad, Jun 21, 2006.

1. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Since I've got you guys warmed up on Hemi tech stuff, I though I would start a place to post about accesories for early Hemis. There's always the subject of rather or not to use a generator, an alternator, dress up an alternator in generator clothing, etc. Also, how and where to mount these components. Up high? Down low? RPM's and correct sized pulley relationships? Etc.

Would anyone like to take a stab and tell us some good tech info on what to use, where to put it and why? Some pics or your set-ups would be great to add here.

I personally don't have any use for an A/C compressor, power steering pump or vacuum pump, but this is probably a good place to post info about those components as well. Usually not a topic here at the HAMB, but I guess it would still be on topic for this thread. Some people are running these early Hemis in bigger cars with modern power assisted steering, so maybe it would be of some help.

Have at it!

P.S. Have some other ideas for Hemi posts that may help add to a one-stop library for the Hemi builders here. Hopefully I can help build a useful library of info and tech about these motors. Who needs books when you have the HAMB! :D

2. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

On my coupe and Rambler I run a GM alternator on the top pass side - you can tuck it in there and it fits stock pulley's. I made a bracket off the water crossover bolts - it's been trouble free.

On my '47 I am still running the stock generator in the stock location - I just can't bring myself to change the look of that old truck. And while the generator doesn't work as well as an alternator - my truck runs and drives just fine with that ancient stuff! - grin

3. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Does anyone run a Mopar alternator? Type? How about a disguised alternator that looks like a generator (alternator guts in a generator case)? Anyone mount there alternator down low? Passenger or drivers side?

4. I run a GM alt low on the left side. Homemade bracket that bolts on at the engine mount holes. I'll try and get a picture tonight.

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Awesome! Pictures would rule! Thanks!

6. 4tford

4tford

I have mine up high on the driver's side because on my 40 it really tapers in toward the front of the engine. It's a gm 1 wire with brackets attached to intake and I studded the thermostat housing for the other bracket. I think I would move it to the right side (passenger side) so my rad hose wouldn't be under the belt if I had it to do over again.

Attached Files:

7. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good tip! Something to take note of!

8. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

9. krooser

krooser

I'm workng on stuffing a Geo Metro alt. into a Mopar generator case....

10. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

HOLY COW! You have my interest! I wanna' see how that turns out! I personally would like to run something like that. What does that little alternator put out?

11. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

12. krooser

krooser

I'm workng on stuffing a Geo Metro alt. into a Mopar generator case....

13. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

14. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I really like that idea! Was thinking of something like that too. Any pics?

15. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

GM alt - pass side top. The second pic has the water crossover removed, but you can still see where the alt was mounted. Also in teh second pic you can see I retained the stock pulleys - I removed the "big" part off the water pump pulley.

Attached Files:

16. srosa707

srosa707
    from Sacramento

I wouldnt run an alt. I like the look of a generator on a nostalgia motor/rod.

17. 392_hemi

392_hemi

I believe Powermaster now makes the PowerGen alternator in a Mopar style case (basically a modern alternator in a generator case).

18. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

19. It's not beautiful but it's strong and functional.

Attached Files:

20. George

George

I have a GM P/S pump on drivers side low, & GM alt. drivers side high.

21. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

p.a.w has a hemi catalog ,they have a few brackets .never seen them up close or heard anything about them..

22. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Without getting off topic, what's that water pump?

Yeah, I like the look of that Powermaster Gen/alternator. Probably pricey though. I wonder if those finned covers fit on them you see for flathead generators??

23. I used a SBC pump on my 354. It's a B&M unit I picked up at a swap meet. First thing I did when I got it home was use a flap disk to grind the B&M logo off. I've seen a similar style w/o the B&M logo recently.

The top bolt holes of the SBC pump actually line up with the block. Made my own spacers/adapters. Just chose a pulley the diameter and basic depth I wanted and made the adapters to fine tune the depth I needed for pulley alignment.

24. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

Why would you wanna use a....... OH wait nevermind wrong thread sorry scooter:D

25. Baaa HA Ha!!!! Cause it saved weight, wasn't a BBC pump like everybody else was using, it looked cool, and most of all ... Cause I wanted to!

You are not sorry! ;-)

26. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You prankster! :D LOL!

27. Here's a first generation MoPar alternator mounted on the fan belt idler pulley boss on the timing cover of a '51-'54 hemi.

[​IMG]

A short length of an old alternator belt tensioning bracket was used at the rear to support the back end of the through-bolt. The other end is attached to the head with a bolt in the factory hole in the head.

[​IMG]

It tucks in pretty much out of sight.

[​IMG]

28. And for those of you wondering how to put a factory generator on that nice aluinum 4 carb manifold, here's a bracket that a friend of mine whipped up on his CNC sheet metal punch and break. (yes he still has the program to whip up more)

It uses the two front intake manifold bolts and teh bolt hole in the front of a '51-'54 head. To that, you mount the stock generator bracket and stock belt tensionong bracket goes to the original bolt hole in the timing cover. i.e. the generator's in tyhe stock location.

.....and you havn't messed up the manifold.

It's a bit tough to see, but look under the carb inlet fitting at the plate. It fastens to the intake on the 2 front bolts.

[​IMG]

You can see the back of the new bracket sticking out under the stock bracket.

[​IMG]

You can just barely see the bolt head under the Offenhauser breather.

[​IMG]

29. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

30. I like the Mopar alternator, Skip. Looks like it belongs. A lot nicer than my GM.