Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Hemi question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fridolf440, Sep 4, 2019.

1. Fridolf440

Fridolf440

Will a set of 1954 331 dodge truck hemi heads (1536367-1) work on a 1957 392 chrysler block (ce5716624)?

2. squirrel

squirrel

No.

they're all different: Dodge, DeSoto, and Chrysler

3. TRENDZ

TRENDZ

Yes they will fit. Dodge truck with a Chrysler engine.
    If you don’t want them, I’ll take em.
    They will bolt onto the block, but the center water port opening is different than car and industrial engines. So intake choices are limited if if you can’t build/ modify yourself.

4. TRENDZ

TRENDZ

Also note that the front of the heads are not cast for water outlets

5. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

No stock intake will work with the 331/354 heads on a 392 block. That combo requires sapcers between the heads and manifold. When Chrysler designed the 392, the deck height was increased to accommodate a longer stroke. However, The 392 heads were designed with additional material on the intake side of the head to replicate the dimensions of the 331/354 manifold spacing. So, 331/354 manifolds (dimension wise) will fit a 392 with 392 heads. Use 331/354 heads on the 392 block and you have a significant gap where the manifold meets the heads....hence the need for spacers.

Ray

Andy likes this.
  6. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Spacers are not a huge challenge: http://www.hothemiheads.com/intake_manifolds/intake_manifold_spacers.html

7. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

....did not mean to imply they were.....perhaps I should have mentioned their ready availability in the post.......

8. TRENDZ

TRENDZ

That particular head casting has a very tall center water port (where the heat crossover normally is)
    The port is taller than the two round coolant holes on the intake manifold mounting surface.
    I have a set of those castings, and the previous owner tried spacers. Said there was not enough material at that part to seal the hole.
    I don’t know if they were the spacers listed above, but they were bought, not made. Making custom spacers for these would not be all that difficult.
    Also have to have a manifold with water outlets to get the water out of the heads since these castings don’t have water outlets on the front/ rear of the heads like all of the other castings.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
  9. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I bought a set of block off plates for those tall center eater ports for TR Waters on here. You can epoxy or weld them into those ports to block them.

Hnstray likes this.