Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hemi Magneto????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jtille, Apr 29, 2012.

1. jtille

jtille

I ran across a vertex magneto that fits a chevy (for a deal) I was wondering if anyone is modifying these to work on a hemi. I have the pertronix system to change the org system which would be better for the street the lil hemi of mine is .40 0ver and a 4x2 intake and a racer brown cam thanks

2. Mad Mouse

Mad Mouse

You can get a different base for almost any motor. The mag unit is the same except for advance and rotation.

3. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

it would seem to me that the Vertex from a chevy could be cut down and the end that meets the camgear oil pump drive could be ground to fit the pump drive ( notched), also the base from a 318 dodge will work. what hemi is it?

4. jtille

jtille

thanks going to look into that

5. They rework Chevy distributors for hemis all the time.
    There's a few different ways to do it and a bolt on adapter

6. trashn'l

trashn'l

I just did that mod. Check out the pictures on my '40 Willys pickup build page. It's pretty easy to do. Here's the thread that was posted here on the Hamb that I used for reference (FYI- this is a cut and past of the article found under Hemi Tech):

I finally got around to converting the CHEAP swap meet SBC Mallory magneto to fit an early hemi. Both the SBC and the early hemi's have clockwise distributor rotation. I've seen a number of guys buy the sbc converting setups. They are basically a sleeve that goes around the stock length sbc distributor housing and puts the actual distributor way the heck up in the air. Yuck!!! Not for me.

First off I took the magneto apart and cut the housing down to length on the lathe. I pressed out the bushing from the bottom piece I cut off and put it in the bottom of the shortened housing. I trued up the mounting flange so it would fit the adapter tight. Next I whitled an adapter with an interferance fit to the distributor housing, so it would fit in the block like a stock distributor. Once that was pressed on I put the shaft back in, marked where the roll pin was needed for the retaining ring, and drilled it. Once the retaining ring and washers was back on and the pin hammered in I cut the shaft to the same length as the hemi distributor. Finally I ground the end of the shaft into the locating tab. Fun little project this evening.

<!-- / message --><!-- attachments --><FIELDSET class=fieldset><LEGEND>Attached Thumbnails</LEGEND>[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

</FIELDSET>

7. coopsdaddy

coopsdaddy
    from oklahoma

Would like some advise on this also, what mag will work the best, it's for a 331, should I look for a hemi or could a chevy be used, does it need to work now or will it all be changed out? Mags seems to be a mystery be others say there great, just looking for advise.

8. coopsdaddy

coopsdaddy
    from oklahoma

9. TERPU

TERPU

Mags are great, for what it's worth I have run one in my '54 for 9 years now with no troubles at all. I have ran it both with advance and without it. I just modified a Chevy mag to go into my Chrysler, same as the post a few up. It's really very simple if you have access to a machine shop and some round stock. Or you can call Joe Hunt and buy a base. I think they are $200+/-. Do not rip out the stock guts and put in a Pertronix, you will be going backwards. If you have a stock distributor for your engine then you can measure the shaft for length. Remove the mage base from your mag before doing any modification or welding.

Happy Holidays,

Tim

10. Mnhotrodbuilder

Mnhotrodbuilder
    from Afton, MN

11. Mnhotrodbuilder

Mnhotrodbuilder
    from Afton, MN

I also know hemi bill has done the conversion for a SBC to a 330 Desoto PM him for more info.

12. trashn'l

trashn'l

Here are the pictures of the one that I did for my 392. It's a pretty simple mod. I did need to make a brass bushing to go in the end of the housing because it's hollow when you cut it off.

Chevy form
    [​IMG]

After the mods
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The tool I made with a Dremel from an old nut driver to remove the special base nuts. Not pretty but it works.
    [​IMG]

13. coopsdaddy

coopsdaddy
    from oklahoma

Looking to put a mag in a 331 hemi, what motors will work other than a chevy and is that the best option,should I get a internal or external coil?