Register now to get rid of these ads!

hemi info

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by B-Ray, May 26, 2008.

  1. B-Ray
    Joined: Apr 11, 2008
    Posts: 194


    I have found a 354 hemi that has power giant on the valve covers, does anyone know any info on these motors. The man selling it said it came from a Fire engine out of a dodge, But I did not think dodge made a 354. Any help or info would greatly be appreciated.
  2. Scott K
    Joined: Oct 17, 2005
    Posts: 826

    Scott K

    You are correct, Dodge Hemi's were never bigger than 325. However, the bigger Dodge trucks used Chrysler engines.....if it's any good, get it.
  3. Nitrobaron
    Joined: Feb 3, 2007
    Posts: 65


    Dodge did use Dodge as well as Chrysler Hemi's in trucks. They used both the 331 and 354 Chrysler. They are usually more similar to the Chrysler Industrial Hemi. There are differences from the regular automobile based Chrysler, mainly in the front cover, water pump housing and the heads.
    The front cover (timing cover) is a large cast iron cover that locates the water pump higher than the car engines. The bolt pattern on the cover is like the 1951 to 1954 cast iron covers, the 55 and up stamped metal covers and water pump housings will not fit.
    A great alternative is the Hot Heads alumn cover for the 1951 to 1954 blocks (note a single bolt at the very top center of the cover, the 1955 and up have two holes at the top, one to each side of center) and small block Chevy water pump conversion. Lighter weight and cleaner looking.
    The Chrysler truck heads do not have the water outlets at the front and back of the heads. The water returns in the intake like the 51 to 54 Chryslers. The exhaust cross over passage is also higher and will not be covered with most car style intakes. You can weld a "tab" to a car intake to cover the opening or I think the Weiand dual quad will cover it. You will need a intake gasket for the truck style heads.
    The 1954 ,331 four barrel intake is the only factory 4 bbl intake with the water neck cast into the intake, and they can be hard to find. Hot Heads does make a remote thermostat kit that will allow use of 55 and later 4 bbl factory intakes, which are quite easy to find.
    The Power Giant valve covers are very sought after because they are smooth, without the stamped Firepower logo, they look killer when chromed!
    You found a great engine to start with, with some changes it will make a nice performance mill.
  4. 73RR
    Joined: Jan 29, 2007
    Posts: 6,235


    Read up on Scootermcrad's HEMI tech. This sorta thing has been covered many times recently.
    Register now to get rid of these ads!

  5. B-Ray
    Joined: Apr 11, 2008
    Posts: 194


    thanks for all the information
  6. scootermcrad
    Joined: Sep 20, 2005
    Posts: 12,301


    I will trade you some valve covers for those!! :D

    I would definitely pick that up man! The link to the Hemi stuff they mentioned is the little banner in my signature line.

    Can you get pictures?

Share This Page

Register now to get rid of these ads!


Copyright © 1995-2020 The Jalopy Journal: Steal our stuff, we'll kick your teeth in. Terms of Service. Privacy Policy.

Atomic Industry
Forum software by XenForo™ ©2010-2014 XenForo Ltd.