Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Hemi hydraulic lifter problems

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1935ply, Feb 2, 2024.

1. 1935ply

1935ply
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from peyton,co
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

there is a disc in the plunger under the the cup so no air will go though the top hole.
    I primed it and turned it over, verified oiling through out. The S-W gauge I have goes to 80 psi it was pegged during the run in. It's a hemi, the budget is out the window. I need to do what ever to make this right.
    Thats what I don't understand. I thought they should, but I can push the down with a screw driver by hand, even let one soak overnight and no change.
    Thanks 73RR for the good info.

Oneball likes this.
  2. Joe H

Joe H

Sounds like the clearance inside the lifter is to loose. Take one apart and measure the ID of the housing and OD of the plunger, bet you find the issue.

3. 1935ply

1935ply
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from peyton,co
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

Ok I took the advice of Gary, 73RR and I called Topline, the only American company making lifters. The person I talked to was helpful and had the correct lifters in stock. They sent them out right away. These are correct for any early hemi or poly engine. B-0812. The lifter on the right is out of the set Hot Heads sold me, besides the question of where they are made the oil groove and hole are not even close to the oil holes in the lifter bore. I put the new ones, in set the pre load to .060 and the engine sounds good and runs good. Also one thing that was brought up was oil supply. I had never thought to check the supply to the lifter bore. When the lifters were out, I pressurized the oil system and verified that there was oil coming out of all the holes in all lifter bores. I would recommend everyone to do the test when assembling the engine just to make sure. Not to bash Hot Heads, but why are they not selling these? IMG_1497.JPG IMG_1495.JPG

AHotRod, X38 and RodStRace like this.
  4. dart4forte

dart4forte
    from Mesa, AZ

What did a set of the B-0812 lifters run you?

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  5. 1935ply

1935ply
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from peyton,co
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

They were 17.73 each. 298.00 with shipping. I thought that was reasonable. I was glad to get ones I knew were made in America.

6. dart4forte

dart4forte
    from Mesa, AZ

Not bad. The OE lifters I had refurbished ran me about $150 with shipping

7. Arctic Rat

Arctic Rat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

1935PLY,

Are the HH lifters from Melling? I just received a set and will just send them back if that's the case.
    Thanks
    Joe

8. PackardV8

PackardV8

Inflation is everywhere. Years back, I bought Johnson #812 and #879s by the tray and sets of 16 for less than $5 each. I'll have to inventory the tray on the shelf and up my price to the replacement cost.

FWIW, I never bothered to regrind hydraulic lifters when new ones were less than $5 each, but at $20 each, guess we'll start doing that again.

jack vines

9. dart4forte

dart4forte
    from Mesa, AZ

I’m inclined to order some of those lifters. Even though I have some refurbished lifters I’ll have to change out the pushrods to the stock OE dimensions. I have adjustable pushrods now so it would be just a matter of changing the lifters.

10. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

Nice!
    So, the HH lifters are wrong. Weird they wouldn't pump solid on the bench. Wrong and defective...?

11. 1935ply

1935ply
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from peyton,co
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

Hi, I never could confirm where the hot head lifters came from or most others for that matter. I wanted the proper set, plus ones made in the USA. I have read on other sites that Topline supplies lifters for many of the cam manufacturers. My advice would be to call topline and order them direct from them.
    I had a set of used lifters, but overall they didn't look that great. I am using adjustable push rods. My block was decked and the heads milled, it's nice to be able to adjust for the preload.
    Yes prices are up and there are cheaper alternatives, but then quality suffers. These engines are expensive to build, but with everything you have to watch where you are cutting corners.
    You can see the difference. Couldn't get them to pump up on the bench, maybe they would pump up in the engine when they are pre loaded. But not when the oil holes don't line up.

12. Arctic Rat

Arctic Rat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hi Everyone,

Picked up a set of the 0812 lifters for my 1953 331 Chrysler C53. Compared to the originals I removed, I may have been better of with the 2011's from HH. Here's a pic

Joe 20240228_104146.jpg

13. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Sure they [stock] not for a 6cyl?

14. 73RR

73RR

...I have never seen a lifter like that in an EarlyHemi.....What, exactly, is the origin of your engine? Use code?

15. Arctic Rat

Arctic Rat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

73RR,
    Responded on the thread I started to not go to far astray on this one.

I took 16 of these little buggers out of my 1953 C53-8-34235 block. 1/4 inch push rod ball size