Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Hemi freeze plug question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by shaunez, Feb 29, 2020.

1. shaunez

shaunez

A93437A7-127C-4118-9172-251C718E63EC.jpeg If anyone has used these before, how does one keep the inside “T” bracket from turning inside the water jacket?

I can obviously get them snug, but not tight - just spins inside block...

2. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Take a punch and put a few teeth on the surface of the bar that meet the block.

loudbang likes this.
  3. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

^ This. Would also be a good idea to put some anti seize on the screw threads and a smear of your favorite sealant around the underside of the screw head before cinching it up.

oldiron 440 likes this.
  4. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

All of the above plus shortly someone will post that it's not a freeze plug and tell you why.

5. shaunez

shaunez

Thanks, I’ll give that a try, the inside of my block was coated with glyptol so things are ever more slippery. I was wondering if I have to weld a longer piece on one end to prevent from spinning...

6. shaunez

shaunez

Yes, thanks.. they are O ringed on the inner Allen head seat as well, nice touch

loudbang and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  7. shaunez

shaunez

Ha ha, yes! Expansion plug is a more correct description. I was hoping by using improper terminology I would attract more attention to elicit a response...

leon bee, Just Gary and loudbang like this.
  8. They are beautiful,,,but unnecessary unless you are racing and can not afford a regular plug to blow out or leak .
    And besides,,,just because they have a rubber o ring doesn’t mean they can’t leak a little as well .
    Beautiful work though .

Tommy

town sedan and INVISIBLEKID like this.
  9. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It is neither.

These plugs are for cleaning out casting sand.

The proper term is core plug.

BJR, robert graves, slayer and 10 others like this.
  10. No one cares....nor are most actually interested in learning anything if it doesn’t align with what they want to be true. Hence the reason I have pretty much stopped posting information, after having my character attacked and receiving rude pm’s because I disagreed with someone I decided I didn’t need to try to help solve strangers problems that bad...

By the way Gimpy is spot on as usual

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

11. Hombre

Hombre

You probably got those from Hot Heads. It is a good choice for that use. I have used this type plug in four Hemi builds and have never had one spin so I am not sure the problem you are having. Once they get tight they should be fine. my biggest problem with them is a dropped one of the back bars into the water jacket once, it's still in there too, I tried every trick I could think of and just could not get the damn thing out. For your problem I think what I would do to keep the back bar from spinning until you can get it tight is use some type of adhesive on the bar it self, just to hold it until you get it tight. Once it is tight your problem is solved I believe.

I also don't give a damn what anyone calls the things, core plugs, freeze plugs, sand clean out plugs who really gives a shit one way or the other? They have routinely been called "Freeze" plugs for decades why anyone would want to be so politically correct as to change it now is just way beyond me.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
  12. shaunez

shaunez

Thank you for the response, yes they were from Hot Heads, I am using them in the center of the three holes in the side of the block due to previous plug leaking. With these I can get them very snug, but that’s it - then the whole thing wiggles/spins. I am getting no “traction” it seems on the inside of the block. It appears if one end was about 3/8” longer on one end it would bottom out inside block by oil pan. I’ll see if I can get a friend to weld an extension on it the prevent turning inside.
    I tried making a few hash marks on the ends to help them bite, but nothing. I used a grinder to make the inside piece sharp like a lawnmower blade thinking this would sink inside block wall, but still spins near the finishing line.

13. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

More parts the more potential for leaks . :oops:

nochop likes this.
  14. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had to go to these when I couldn't get the OEM plugs to seal. They worked great. I think the problem is that the original plugs don't work right if the block is not absolutely pristine.

These solve that problem.

loudbang and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  15. Hombre

Hombre

Tubman, From know on I am using the original Mopar disc's, just got thru about 15 min ago from installing a set. This is the third time I have used the original ones, and I have not had a problem with them leaking. Mine are no where near pristine, or any of these 65 or so year old motors Pristine any longer? I do use JB weld on all of these, makes a mess but they don't leak. The Hot Heads one's are very nice but they are also very pricey at $82.00 a set, and I am having good luck with the original ones.

16. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Willys36 just said he tried expanding his. That's what I was thinking as I have had plugs that were a little loose and have laid them face down and used a ballpeen hammer to expand them. The holes in the casting must be pretty bad if you can't make them fit by expanding them. Lippy

Hombre, loudbang and INVISIBLEKID like this.
  17. mickeyc

mickeyc

I am missing something here. Was not the block cleaned out during the initial manufacturing process
    by Chrysler? The factory did not install this type of
    plug to my knowledge. Once any type plug is removed from the block it is open to whatever process a
    person intends. I understood these type devices were
    an effort to provide enhanced sealing. Why would there be a concern about casting debris in the block?

18. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am pretty sure you missed the point. I was not commenting on the Hot Heads plugs. I was commenting on the incorrect attribution of the function of these plugs.

How do you think that they cleaned out the sand from the casting at the factory?

They did it via the plugs that folks seem to think have some other purpose.

They don't. They are not freeze plugs, or for anything else.

egads likes this.
  19. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This has nothing to do with politics. That is an incorrect application of that term.

This has everything to do with ignorance.

Do you know the proper term for a term that is popular, but incorrect?

It is called: incorrect.

This is not about changing the term. The term is core plug. All y'all tried to change it to something else. That is on you.

You can call a pig a duck, but it is highly unlikely that you will ever hear it quack.

HemiDeuce and ClayMart like this.
  20. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Boy-o, you've got that right!

Clinging to counter-factual information seems to be a religious calling for some.

INVISIBLEKID and egads like this.
  21. SEAAIRE354

SEAAIRE354

The pig may never quack but we’ve all seen core plugs push out when the liquid inside the block freezes.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Hombre likes this.
  22. Yep and most of the time ice has still cracked something expensive. Offering no protection from freezing.

The old hemi blocks seems to have a worse problem retaining these plugs than other engines. They seem to blow out at the most opportunistic times to ruin your day. I’m not sure why those plugs can pass a pressure test with flying colors but sticking your foot into that old hemi makes them pop out.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2020
  23. Man,,,,I always chuckle when I see these come up,,,because I know the direction it will end up,,,LoL.

To be honest,,,I have never had any problem with stock type cup plugs leaking or coming out . Usually they are very hard to get back out .
    And I always seal them very well,,,,so any potential ice would not move them anyway.
    Also,,,,I always use plenty of good antifreeze,,,,so that is not even in the equation.

I always use a good tool to install them with,,,maybe that makes a difference ?

Tommy

24. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Boy, I don't know if this means anything, but I get all of my core plugs from a place called..... wait for it..... "The Freeze Plug Factory".:eek:

Like it or not, they have the largest and best selection from everything I've seen.

Desoto291Hemi and Gangrene like this.
  25. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Tommy,

Have you done your hemi yet? The '54 Chrysler in my dirt modified is the only engine I've had this sort of problem with. After the second one popped out (in the middle of a race), I went looking for something better. No problems with the replacement.

The Chryslet does not have "cup" plugs, but the ones without a lip. I think that's the problem.

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  26. Hi Denny,
    Man ,,,that is strange,,,I never knew that ,,I wonder how they stayed in so well from the factory ?

No,,,I plan on taking to the machine shop in the spring for boring and decking .
    I have removed all the core plugs and have it ready .
    On my 55 Desoto,,,it had cup plugs just like the later model stuff .
    I am pretty sure it takes the same ones as a Mopar small block ,,if I remember correctly,,,I saw the price for some from Hot Heads,,,,and I liked my price better .
    I have several sets of those laying around,,,,Mopar small block,,big block,,,,SBC also .
    When I find that stuff on sale cheap,,I usually load up .
    I have enough that I will probably not use them all,,,Lol .

One thing about it,,,,when I went to remove them from my Desoto block,,,the ones near the sides of cylinders #1-#2,,,were almost solid .
    They barely moved in and hit solid .
    I found out they are that close to the cylinders,,,they were almost hitting the cylinders .
    I had to tap them in diagonal and then remove them,,,worked okay,,,I just almost panicked,,,,what if I had gotten too hammer happy and damaged the block,,,LoL.
    About half of the plug is directly over the iron cylinder .

Tommy

Beanscoot likes this.
  27. As pointless as this is have a look at how people here react when someone calls their precious hot rod a rat rod or street rod, both common terms for old cars. Yet there will be pages about how stupid those people are, but bastardized information about the functionality of parts is perfectly acceptable because that’s what they know.

There is some pretty serious science that says water will not expand strictly towards a few 2” spots when it freezes, it expands in every direction.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  28. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I'm absolutely amazed I just read that many posts about what the proper name for these plugs are. I'm not amazed you goobers would argue about it, but that I would take the time to read that many posts about it. :D Lippy

29. Joe H

Joe H

Back to the point of this thread, could you bend one of the edges of the cross bar a little to make a point that would bite in and not turn? And, are you sure you didn't bottom out due to a thinner wall of the block? Maybe bend the cross bar into a " U " shape and try it again.