Register now to get rid of these ads!

hemi - crankshaft rear main seal surface ??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 30dodgeboy, Dec 27, 2005.

1. Can anyone supply a pic of what the rear main seal surface should look like on an early hemi? I've got a (marine) crank with a pitted rear main seal surface, yet the rest looks absolutely perfect. I see no evidence of the helical knurling I would expect to see. Hmmm. Did they not do that on the marine/truck cranks? Is the part number the same for LH and RH cranks?

2. QQMOON

QQMOON

Dodge boy there will be no knurling if the crank is pitted just linish it up it will be fine

3. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

Here's a pic of a 392 crank - all I have are the same - no idea if they are all car or industrial or truck or ?

I only assume that the crank part numbers for left or right rotation must be different. That's only a guess.

I highlighted the knurls - they are quite faint.

Attached Files:

4. chitbox dodge

chitbox dodge
    from dunlap tn

the knurls on the end of my desoto are way more defined than that. i guess mopar couldnt even get that consistent between makes.

5. Bugman

Bugman

My 392 knurling is reasonably pronounced. I'll see of I can get a pic in the next few days.

6. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

I'm pretty sure that every early Hemi came with a knurled crank. Has it already been turned down?

There is no difference in the LH and RH cranks, only the cam is different for reverse rotation.

All 392s were passenger car engines.

And there is nothing consistent between Chrysler, DeSoto, and Dodge Hemis. hahhahahaaaa

7. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

Not that I am doubting you (because I don't know for certain), but would the knurl be the wrong driection for a crank rotating the opposite direction???

Almost nothing!!! On my "nostalgic" cars where I am using a stock water pump - I found out that I could rebuild my 392 pumps using the guts out of some other Mopar (hemi) motors. The impeller is the same on SOME - as is the shaft, bearing and seal.:D

8. 2manybillz

2manybillz

I'd check the size if the knurl is gone, it doesn't take a whole lot of polishing with a 180 grit belt to remove it. If you run a rope seal, the size isn't as critical, for a neoprene one it is. The seal area on a steel crank can be built up if necessary, the knurling can be redone also but if it was mine I wouldn't worry about the knurling, size matters more. I'm on vacation, can't access the seal size 'till next tuesday.

9. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Good point, I may be mistaken. But I have seen reverse-rotation marine engines converted to normal rotation with a cam swap only without any problems. I'll look into this..
    Yeah, I think there is also a timing cover that swaps between early Chryslers and all the DeSotos, but that's about it. :D

10. 2manybillz

2manybillz

11. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

thats a good point 2many...also wouldnt you have to change the gear on the dizzy?