Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Hemi A Coupe Made in New Zealand

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ratman, Jan 2, 2015.

1. ratman

ratman

Yep Shakey Rails, I already had a set of rails built by Thunder Road rod and custom in the States but when I saw the Shakey rails at the Palmy swapmeet the US ones got pushed aside and I started a fresh with these works of art.

LIFESTYLZ and XERB like this.
  2. Yum... definately watching this one. Your worksmanship is outstanding.

3. mitchchisholm13

mitchchisholm13
    from Queenstown

Sunscribed! Mint work

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Wow, this is shaping up to be a top notch build! I am impressed with the excellent workmanship you are putting into your A coupe. Looking forward to watching the rest of this build. :cool:

5. This is a wonderful build, really nice work.

6. ratman

ratman

Thanks to everybody for the kind words, I'm happy with the progress to date.

7. ratman

ratman

Well despite the heat and overload of my day job I managed to get the front end sitting in place. I have yet to fabricate the hair pin mounts and I also need to fit the front shock mounts.
    I wanted to use a front brake kit made by a New Zealand manufacturer so I went with the unit made by Ace Patterns.
    Jimmy makes a really nice job of them. Yes they are disc's by that's my choice due to NZ roads and more importantly my lead foot. I'm pretty happy with the front end so far. I've got to say the chrome work on the Socal axle and components is nothing short of excellent.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  8. ratman

ratman

View attachment 2819427 The front steering has been a pain in the arse, My first choice was the NZ Kiwi standard HQ Holden steering box but I just didn't like the way it looked and it was also going to stop me from doing what I want to do with the engine mounts.
    I looked at the new R/H drive Vega boxes but the country of origin turned me off (China).
    I ended up going with Unisteer, I did a lot of research and found plenty of good feedback on there performance.

I will fabricate my own mounts but have mocked it up just to get a feel for how it will fit and look.

IMG_2184.JPG IMG_2185.JPG

Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  9. ratman

ratman

There was one thing missing on the car but I was always unsure if I wanted to venture into the world of superchargers.
    Two reasons really, the first one simply being because I haven't had much to do with them before and for me there are a lot of unknowns
    Secondly here in NZ we have to follow a code of construction when building a car and there are height restrictions on how far a motor can protrude above the hood line.

Well today I was offered a solution that solves that issue as it comes with a Garlits scoop that fits down over the carb and solves my height issue. With this setup I am well under the maximum height allowed.

The major bonus for me though is the fact that is was built by Gary Petersen of GP Performance here in NZ, Unfortunately Gary was tragically taken from us as the result of a car accident several years ago. Gary was a fellow club member (Hamilton Hot Rod Club) and a personal friend and for me its the icing on the cake to have one of his units on our Hot Rod.

I am going to ask for some guidance on this so you can expect questions. My first task will be to fabricate an intake manifold.

IMG_2179.JPG IMG_2183.JPG IMG_2187.JPG

Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
  10. sharpmark

sharpmark

very interesting build - I am enjoying following this and thanks for all the great photos.

11. Martin Harris

Martin Harris

Blown Hemi. Magic words.
    I am really impressed with this buildup, shaping up to be a real class ride.

12. Any room for another Kiwi to jump on board?
    I'm curious as to where in NZ you are.
    Gotta keep an eye out for this one.

13. Great work. I'm following this.

14. 73RR

73RR

As others have said, Excellent work!
    As to fabricating an intake (assuming you don't like the price tag on existing units) then a Weiand 2x4 is a very good place to start. Relatively low cost and relatively low profile.

15. ratman

ratman

16. ratman

ratman

Hi Lifestylz I'm in the Waikato
    Cheers
    Peter

17. 73RR

73RR

18. ace1

ace1

Nice work there Pooza ! Keep those updates coming.....

19. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Like the look of the uni steer . I presume you need a sliding joint in the column?

20. I think the Unisteer rakes are solid mounted to the frame so a slip or sliding joint is not required. Please correct me if I'm wrong here. My T had a R&P bolted direct to the back of the I beam axle with a sliding part from a HQ Holden incorporated in the steering shafts from the R&P up to the firewall then onto the steering column. Now this had passed WOF's since 1985 when build new but by time I purchased the car, it wasn't a very safe set up at all so Terry Bowden replaced the whole set up using a Suzuki steering box. Sorry if I have high jacked your thread Peter.

LIFESTYLZ and ratman like this.
  21. ratman

ratman

No you haven't hijacked my thread mate that's all good information and you are correct because the Unisteer is solid mounted to the frame is does not need a slip joint.
    cheers
    Peter

22. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

Peter, Think about C ing the rear kick up on the frame. Otherwise your rear might be too high to give enough suspension travel. Run your suspension thru its total travel without springs to make sure your shocks don't bottom out first. My 32 Ford, 354 Chrysler Hemi. 6-71 blower, has two 4 bbls. Fits under the stock hood. Low air cleaner element off (1965 427 FE Ford with two 4bbls). If that air cleaner element worked on Ford 427, it should work for me.

23. ratman

ratman

Hi ago, yep I'm going to notch the rear of the chassis I was intending to do it when I pull the rolling chassis down to remove it from the build table. Your 32 is very nice I like the way everthing fits under the hood.
    Cheers
    Peter

24. clem

clem

Any updates ?

25. ratman

ratman

Well updates are way way overdue, My excuse is life's been really busy. I ended up selling the 276 Desoto and buying a Chrysler 354 off a really Kool guy in Las Vegas. Ben here on the Hamb helped me out with the shipping and I cant thank him enough for his outstanding service.
    The engine turned out to be an unmolested virgin block so I was pretty happy, Its been hot tanked and crack tested but I will hold off on the assembly until I'm nearly finished.
    056.JPG 044.JPG 048.JPG

26. ratman

ratman

4 5/8" chop, That makes me 1/8" above minimum legal screen DSCF1123.JPG DSCF1138.JPG DSCF1139.JPG DSCF1147.JPG 503.jpg 064.JPG 547.jpg height. Its my first chop in 10 years but I'm pleased with the results.

27. ratman

ratman

Install of the Unisteer. I stuck with the factory angle bracket and made up my own chassis mounting. I did this to eliminate any issues with compliance. 532.jpg 533.jpg 534.jpg 535.jpg

28. ratman

ratman

Moon tank mounts all 316 stainless steel. Not finished yet but close. 536.jpg 537.jpg 541.jpg 542.jpg 543.jpg 545.jpg 546.jpg

kidcampbell71, kiwijeff and mad mikey like this.
  29. deadbeat

deadbeat

Aww shoot im in for the ride.After all im almost a kiwi and this will help with my A build

30. ratman

ratman

Changed out the rears to 16 x 8" 035.JPG

kidcampbell71 and mad mikey like this.