Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Hemi A Coupe Made in New Zealand

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ratman, Jan 2, 2015.

1. ratman

ratman

This project has been underway for about a year to date, Most of the time has been spent gathering parts and trying to maintain a focus on what we want when its finished.
    I've sold two other cars to fund it and worked a shit load of over time in the past four years to cover the cost, I pretty much have everything to build the car now.
    I'm a fitter turner machinist by trade and I am lucky enough to have access to every type of machine I need to accomplish the build so while I have that opportunity I will be trying hard to do something decent.
    I wasn't sure which category to put the thread under but I guess that will be sorted by the mod squad.

Here's the scope:
    1931 Model A Coupe 4 1/2" roof chop
    32 Ford Chassis
    32 Ford Grill
    Hood top only
    276 Desoto Hemi with 4 Stromberg 97s a top a Vintage Speed manifold 1.JPG 1.JPG IMG_2149.JPG
    727 Torque flight ( I know real hot rods have 3 pedals, Yeah I'm old and lazy)
    Socal 4" dropped front axle
    Hair pins
    Winters V8 quick change
    16 x 5 Halibrand style wheels all round
    Excelsior Stahl Sport Tyres 750 at the rear with 560 up front

My pet hate is polishing, but yes its going to have a shit load of shiny stuff.

Here's some pictures, Most of the shiny stuff you see at the moment is 316 Stainless steel including the chassis centre section.
    I will update as things progress

Cheers
    Peter

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
    tofords, Stogy, flyingbrick and 4 others like this.
  2. Martin Harris

Martin Harris

Nice work, my man. I'm a NZ rodder too.
    For those who may not know, if ya want to get a rod on the road (legally I mean, haha!) in NZ you have to go through a pretty rigorous and rather costly certification process. Hence everything's gotta be extremely well engineered and following the NZHRA manual (which is the size of a telephone directory).
    Looks like you're doing a fine job, Ratman.
    Your immaculate shed puts my dusty rats nest to shame.

3. Great stuff.
    I'm looking forward to watching this.
    All the right ingredients.

4. waynos

waynos

5. waynos

waynos

me too,hemi in a A model cant get much better in my opinion

6. Oh why not, Kiwi's unite !:cool: im in, looks well done so far and thank God you got a grille with a crank hole. Im following:D JW

7. brady1929

brady1929

8. Awsome fab work!

9. AHotRod

AHotRod

I just made Coffee, ....so let's see what your up too ! :)

10. 73RR

73RR

Looks good!
    I am a bit curious about your shop however....looks like everything is galvanized:eek:...is your air really full of that much salt?

11. ratman

ratman

12. ratman

ratman

Has anybody used a multi angle adjuster as shown in the picture. I am planning on using two of them on my rear panhard rod.
    Just trying to get feedback on there performance, Kugel Komponents sell them and they are US made so all should be good.

Attached Files:

13. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Subscribed. Insofar as those adjustors are concerned, Scott's hot rods has been similar in their IFS suspensions for some time now. The stress load IMHO is not on the 5/8" UNF thread or bushing end but on the 1/4" UNC bolt holding them together and the weak link? I would prefer a conventional single solid adjustor correctly set up, the panhard rod essentially goes up and down during suspension movement and also deals with side loading forces (X&Y axis). It doesn't move backwards and forwards (X,Y & Z axis). Are those adjustors designed to be in a static setup or designed to be constantly moving. More of a static vibration mounting IMHO. If constantly moving I can see them wearing where they articulate and eventually failing.

14. clem

clem

Thats a good body to start with, will make a nice rod. Please, Keep us posted as it happens.

15. Nice !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. ratman

ratman

I want/need to mount the panhard rod on an angle that is more than the 11 degree ends available. One end will be mounted to the top of the right side on the diff and the other on left hand chassis rail.
    Its the 1/4" UNC bolt part that I am worried about. That part will remain static though IMG_2163.JPG

This pic shows what I am meaning. Its about 21 degrees.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  17. I doubt that there is a 1/4 UNC bolt strong enough for that force and with it at an angle that will increase the load even more. JW

18. Kiwi Tinbender

Kiwi Tinbender

Machine a piece of Solid Bar with two smaller diameter ends. Bend the solid bar, then plug weld two pieces of tubing (and butt weld) then thread both ends with conventional adjusters, and make your brackets accordingly. Don`t forget, you can angle the bracket on the diff forward to run the panhard across the front of the centre section, then make your frame bracket to suit. I`ve done them that way, even used thick wall (1/4) and bent and machined/threaded that. What does your friendly local cert. guy say?

19. ratman

ratman

Thanks Kiwi Tinbender I hadn't thought of doing it that way, The piece pipe in the picture is schedule 180 seamless 316 so its plenty heavy enough in the wall
    I haven't asked my friendly local cert guy anything yet apart from how much he's going to charge me.
    That was enough to shut me up.
    Cheers
    Peter

20. ratman

ratman

That's what I was concerned about. Thanks for your input

21. XERB

XERB

Impressive hot rod, awesome, thanks for sharing

22. Hell Peter, looks like you have almost all the Kiwi HAMB members here following along including me. Awesome workmanship too and I will be keen to learn from you. As mentioned, the body looks like a minta, you sure you aren't upsetting a restorer somewhere ?;):cool::D

23. Rckt98

Rckt98

Add me as well. Looking good.

24. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

I'm not a Kiwi but I'm subscribed too :rolleyes:;)

25. Kiwi Tinbender

Kiwi Tinbender

Well, Dick, if you are a good boy maybe one of us could adopt you....:D

26. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

I swear I am a good boy :confused:o_O:rolleyes: though old enough to be your dad :D

27. flyingbrick

flyingbrick

Subscribing!

Beautiful work Pete

Those machined brackets and axle stands are probably my favorite bits :-D

Kinda a shame to chop up that body- it looks tidy enough to throw on and use as is, haha.

-nathan

28. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Heck Pete this is going to be one outstanding coupe , well thought out and designed.
    I asked my local cert man about using the "uniball" high misalignment joints , not sure if you are familiar with these, but again you need to pay the $90 to get the TAC to approve them or not. Beauraucrats...
    Am subscribed to this one.

29. ratman

ratman

IMG_2170.JPG IMG_2172.JPG IMG_2175.JPG IMG_2177.JPG IMG_2173.JPG

Kiwi Tinbender gave me this idea so I went with it thanks for the input, ended up making one of the ends from the same bushes I have on the ladder bars and the other is a stock standard Socal speed shop 11 degree rod end.
    The panhard rod itself is made from solid 316 stainless.
    I have tried it at all maximum suspension travel aspects and everything clears nicely.
    The rear end is pretty much done so now its onto the front, Fluke would have it my front axle turned up on Friday so that was good timing.

Kumeu Classic Car and Hot Rod Festival next week and its the maiden voyage for the caravan so things are looking up.

kidcampbell71, XERB and k1w1rodder like this.
  30. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Are you using "shakeys rails" .?
    This hot is not going to be just another A coupe wallflower is it. Stand alone and stand out workmanship right here.

LIFESTYLZ likes this.