Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Hemi 1953

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 283, May 2, 2019.

1. 283

What would be a fair price for a complete Hemi and auto from a 53 New Yorker hasn't run in decades but has been in a dry building. A late friend had it but never did anything with it. Located in central illinois.

2. dwollam

dwollam

I paid $1800 for a complete car to harvest the running 331 Hemi. Sold the remains with a cracked block engine for $1500. These extended bell Hemi's don't bring a lot of money and as a side note, they are only 185 hp. stock. Using mine in a '33 Plymouth Coupe. One year only 1954 heads and 4bbl intake moves them up to 230 hp. Still, from a glance, they have the same looks as a 392! Costs to build are quite high.

Dave

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

I paid $750. for a running 53 Chrysler about 10 years ago in IN, same thing as above, extended bell housing expensive to rebuild. The manager at Hot Heads told me, "if it is running without issues" run it until you have an issue, then rebuild it. I install it in a chopped and channel 34 Plymouth sedan, no room for a standard so I had to go with a auto.

4. What they said.....and pay as close to what he gave for it if it's in your budget.....I'm paying a little more for a re- built flathead a friend had on a engine stand when he passed.....I know the engine builder of the flathead as well - and pretty darn sure it was the last flattie he built in his long career - so hopefully they will both smile as it goes into good hands. There is an adapter for the early long blocks to bolt up the early Ford 3 sp top loader - BUT you have to be careful with that power. Good luck !

5. George

George

have you checked out the "Hemi tech Index" yet? Was rated @ 185, but reportedly was actually 200, didn't want to scare the elderly who were the typical Chr. buyers. Wil-cap & Hot Heads has adaptors for newer manual tranny. QEC (73RR here on the Board) is supposed to be working on an adaptor to put a C-4 behind one if you want an A/T. Original tranny is only of interest to restorers. Later 54-55 331 or 56 354 heads and intake would be an improvement.

6. Hard to put a price on it but definitely not as desirable as a 354 or 392. Make an offer. Getting a tranny hooked up is the biggest problem but there are ways. On the upside, they are the same dimensions as a 354. 354 heads bolt on with bigger ports, the 3 13/16" cylinders bore 1/8" over to accept 354 pistons and become a 354.

If you just want the look and aren't after a horsepower monster, the 331 heads are ok even though they have the small round exhaust ports. Engine has forged crank and rods, is pretty much bullet proof from the factory. They come with hardened exhaust valve seats and bold on all the standard early hemi valve train.