Register now to get rid of these ads!

Helve Hammer Pics

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ntxcustoms, Nov 16, 2005.

1. ntxcustoms

ntxcustoms
    from dfw

Okay, I know that alot of people are wanting to see some pics of my helve. I'm sorry that I haven't posted earlier, It's just that I have a lot of "hard work-honest money" to do during the day at the shop. I've been thinking about making these helves for a year now, knowing that the whole legal thing would be a huge hurdle to pass. I wanted to make them available to as many people as possible, because I firmly believe in how useful they are. So I think the best thing to do would be to make a tech posting on construction and tooling. If you can make one for yourself I strongly urge you to do so. They are not to very expensive to make, but some parts can be a pain to gather. I would say that my basic model would probably be on the medium side of price, but it has a long time of use and thinking behind it. If you have seen the other sites, you know that some of these hammers are being made on the cheap side of doing things. Stay far away from this, these hammers can be dangerous, and you don't want anything falling off or breaking. I think my frame addresses this issue very well. If you do decide to go ahead and build one you will find that you have an incredible workhorse that does the job of many machines. You can bead, punch, flange, stretch, and yes even shrink. All of this in one machine that costs less than having a Pullmax shipped and installed in your shop.

Anyway, enough ranting. Like I said, I'll post a tech on building this model some time this week. For those of you that are interested I can put together a weld-up kit that will include all of the parts you'll need. All pipes will be cut on the horizontal bandsaw with correct miters. Just let me know.

[​IMG]

Pics do not show update changes

[​IMG]

The frame is designed with a 3 foot throat and 16 inces from bottom stroke to the next lower pipe. It can handle a large panel such as a hood with ease (louvers anyone?). The frame has also been triangulated for ease of cuts and makes it really strong at the same time.The motor plugs in at 110, you don't need air. It has been placed low and in the center for best balance and ballast. These machines can be tuned in a lot of different ways and you can find all this info on the other sites. All of the bumpstops I've seen are made halfway up the arm, cutting the throat in half. I put the bumpstop on top with a cantilever design so you can still have the full reach and still plannish. Also the pad is removable so you can form curves(ie: fenders, bowls, etc...) rightside up or upside down. Footspace is slim being at 2' x 4' x 3.5' so it can fit in the most cramped garages. If you don't bolt it down, you will need to place weights on it to keep it from walking (I'll show you what I did for this on the tech). Place wheels on it if you want.

Well, there you go. Sorry if this whole thing has been long winded. I just wanted to share this with all of you, and isn't that what the HAMB is all about?:D

Custom side mouldings anyone?
    [​IMG]

Mouldings made on helve in three passes. First two roughed shaped it, third plannished. Edge guide was used to keep from wondering.
    [​IMG]

rocker test piece made on brake, helve, and plannishing hammer. Rocker is for my '50 ford and allows side pipes tucked in. Each of these pieces took only minutes to make.
    [​IMG]

I'm definitely not the first one to make this type of helve and many thanks to those that have shared their experiences.

2. droplord49

droplord49
    from Bryan, Tx

WOW, I can't wait for your tech thread, that thing is awesome.

3. tisdelski

tisdelski

thats a cool looking frame for a helve!
    is there a footpedal? i don`t see a footpedal. the sewing machine motor is a clutch type with a brake, i have one on my electric planishing hammer. having a the footpedal would be a big improvement as it would make it even more controllable.

gary

4. ntxcustoms

ntxcustoms
    from dfw

Yes there is a foot pedal which was a wooden broom handle type stick that was fairly long. A hole was drilled into it and then I wire looped it to the holes in the clutch lever. The length and wire loop let me pivot the stick around so no matter how big the panel or where I was standing, I could always reach the stick. It has since broke and has been replaced with angle iron set up the same way.

5. blue collar guy

blue collar guy

Just two questions. How much? and how long? I have been looking for a pullmax.So let me know. Thanks Scott

6. cabriolethiboy

cabriolethiboy

I might be interested in a weld up kit or even a set plans ( blueprints) if they are in my price range.

7. oldandkrusty

oldandkrusty

Your machine is very intriging in design and function. While I have very little experience in working metal with a machine such as yours, I do have a great deal of interest in learning more.

On a related note, do you plan on doing an instructional video to accompany your Helve hammer when you get around to selling them, either in plan, assembly kit or finished product. I think that, as you are the man that came up with this great idea, it would be very helpful to learn from you the ins and outs on the hammer's proper use. I, for one, would love to see how you made those side moldings and rockers.

Good luck with your project. And, I agree with you the HAMB is a perfect place to debut youe hammer. The experience and enthusiasm available here is priceless. You will get the real story here-not BS.

8. ntxcustoms

ntxcustoms
    from dfw

Thanks for the replys! It means alot to me. Since I don't have a computer at work I will not be able to post untill later this afternoon, but I'll say a few things now. I'll go over everything needed parts wise and time involved to make the kits and post up an answer tonight. The price will be low here, but if I have alot of orders, I might place ads elswhere for more. Oh, and the kits will probably have to say something stupid on them like "for static display only", because I don't have product insurance. You will be responsible for your own welds, making you the finished manufacture. Feel free to modifiy how you see fit.

Instructional video? I'm flattered, but there is plenty of info on how to use the machine already out there, besides it would just be another thing you would have to buy. I will post a tech on the basics and construction.

As for how long, I'll figure out the price tonight, and if your wanting a kit please contact me and I'll get right back at you with more details. I don't want to make this sound to much like a classified ad. Thanks.
    You can reach me at the link below or PM me.

9. ntxcustoms

ntxcustoms
    from dfw

Hey blue collar guy. If you want a pullmax and the price is right, I'd say go for it. Who wouldn't want a pullmax? Besides after all the dust clears from installing it in your shop, you would have an awesome machine to play with. Just keep this in mind; 1. the helve kit will for sure be below 1,000 probably a few hundred lower (you won't find a helve for that price and if you do refurbishing would be three or four times as much)2. the helve will fit nicely in the shadow of your pullmax (meaning more space for other toys) 3. just about any die you could make for the pullmax can be made for the helve (even tumbnail dies) most importantly these dies can be made cheaply out of Delrin for short runs, steel for longer. some people are already making steel dies and holders for helves and even plannishing hammers. The dies for Pullmaxs are bulky and expensive( if you are going to use the wedge type) All of the dies I use are delrin and most of the time I can make them in minutes... All of this being said I would still buy a Pullmax if the right one came around. I'll post later tonight on price.

10. That looks good and is certainly designed to be used by the home guy, not a huge industrial size machine. I look forward to seeing the rest of the pics. I think the video idea is a good one, or you could maybe offer a class to people? Pick up your "kit" and then get a bit of instruction and see the helve in operation for different processes.

11. ntxcustoms

ntxcustoms
    from dfw

Not a bad idea 38chevy, I'll keep it in mind. I'm not sure if anyone has made a video for using them yet ( maybe Unkle Ian can help with info on who if any). Remember this machine can do heavy work. If it was built for sale to industry it would be alot bigger (ie. UL approved belt guard, swing arm guard, and dust guard for linkage and bearings). Also the final product will be taller, I know the pictures don't show it but the bump limiter will be mounted on top.

12. tinmann

tinmann

Having built my own pair of brakes, an English Wheel, air-powered planishing hammer, hydraulic press and bead roller, as well as bulls-eye pick hammers, T-dollies, slappers, etc..... I'm waiting with breath held for the plans so that I can build one of these babies.

Daryl

13. Interesting design.

I would suggest 2 rubber limit bumpers on top,
    one in front and one behind the pivot.Suspension
    snubbers on a threaded rod work fine for this.
    That way you can limit the top and bottom of the stroke.
    Some of the old Bradley Helve Hammers had a similar set up for tuning.

A belt guard would be a VERY good idea.

As far as I know,there are no videos currently available specificly
    about Helve hammers.One of Ron Covell's videos briefly shows
    Tom Lipton using his Helve.

14. oldandkrusty

oldandkrusty

Hmmmm, if Uncle Ian doesn't know of an instructional video it kind of reaffirms my belief that it might be a good idea. I realise that it might add to the cost if the apparatus but, wouldn't it be a good idea to include one (for an additional charge, if necessary) with each unit purchased? Just a thought because, as I said I, and I assume others, don't have any experience with a Helve hammer. I would like to build one such as you show and then learn how to use it. Therefore, the need for the video. Just my 2 cents.

15. 50chevy

50chevy
    BANNED

Nice work, Cannot wait to see the Tech and price for the kit.

16. Kev Nemo

Kev Nemo

Very cool machine- it never ceases to amaze me how skilled you guys are!
    Also, nice Souixie shirt:D!

17. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I'm also anxious to see the details for building one of these. I just dabble in metal forming but am slowly getting enough equipment together to do a serious project. I want to build my own roadster body from scratch.

Frank

18. ntxcustoms

ntxcustoms
    from dfw

Unkle Ian, I do have a bump stopper made for this hammer. I'll show some pics or drawings soon.

19. That will let you adjust the stroke,and the power,
    with a quick turn on a screw.

20. How heavy is your completed machine ?
    I think mine was around 350 lbs.

21. Spook

Spook

I have a lot of respect for anyone who can make their own sheet metal parts.

I have twice the respect for the one who makes his own tools.

I have three times the respect for anyone with a 50 Ford.

Man you got it all.

Great work on everything. Keep us posted.