Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Helping clean out an old friends garage

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wheeldog57, Mar 3, 2024.

1. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

Paul Aldridge was a New England hot rod hero. We helped move a couple cars and parts out of his hideout yesterday. 20240302_115802.jpg 20240302_115743.jpg 20240302_120140.jpg 20240302_115624.jpg 20240302_115609.jpg 20240302_115546.jpg 20240302_115529.jpg 20240302_115538.jpg 20240302_115515.jpg

Kreepea_1, Outback, slim38 and 41 others like this.
  2. Nobey

Nobey

Neat stuff.....

duecesteve likes this.
  3. What is the history on the Midget?
    I know Pete Flaven bought a Big Car Paul had, but I never to Paul was a an open wheel guy.

Outback, wheeldog57 and tractorguy like this.
  4. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Gosh, so much stuff, so little time.

5. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Some will say he should have sold a lot of the stuff to others so they would see the light of day.
    I am not one of those.
    Each part,each machine,each vehicle held a memory or a story. That helps keep us young even after young is a long ways back in the mirror. A shop like that is what separates the do nothing sit on the porch older folks from the let's do something types even if it's just to visit with other motor heads.
    I say collect stuff. Fill a shop. Enjoy just looking at it if the body can no longer do 50% of what you used to do.
    Stay young at heart and of mind.

6. 19Fordy

19Fordy

partsdawg: I agree with you and also have collected lots of stuff that makes me feel as you said.
    The only trouble is, if a "collector" doesn't have children, relatives or friends to manage it all
    after you pass on, it's a big burden for your spouse. I have reached that realization as I get older.

42merc, Outback, MMM1693 and 16 others like this.
  7. JD Miller

JD Miller

I helped clean out a old moon mechanic /hot rodder's garage that died. Alot of cool stuff got thrown away to the scarp guy by the son. I scrounged what I could

Outback, Okie Pete, wfo guy and 2 others like this.
  8. Rawrench

Rawrench

An old friend passed a few months back. He had a lot of car, bike stuff in his garages. the son & daughter got what they could & the house flipper loaded up two roll off dumpsters. Sad affair.

Okie Pete and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  9. 1pickup

1pickup

Wow. Cool stuff. You can't take it with you. Better to pass it on to someone who appreciates now, rather than letting somebody put it in a dumpster when you're gone.

10. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm an amature for sure after seeing this....

Nostrebor, Okie Pete, vtx1800 and 3 others like this.
  11. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

12. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Practically a tunnel ram intake on that Flathead engine. High-rise... big plenum. Not sure I've ever seen one like it. Can't quite read the name on it.

13. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When I zoomed in on that picture, that intake manifolds raised letters spelled OFFENHAUSER.

hotrodharry2, Okie Pete and winduptoy like this.
  14. AMEN ,brother dawg. AMEN.

bEN

15. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Great collection he had there ! Good on yall for helping out a friend.

chevy57dude likes this.
  16. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

just your typical Hot Rodder's shop - Ha! - Wow, amazing stuff

17. BJR

BJR

I knew a guy like that, just collected stuff. Had so much stuff you couldn't work in the shop, but he just kept buying more. He never finished anything, or had anything to drive. So sad.

18. So, you know me? You described how things are with me....:rolleyes:

Okie Pete and BJR like this.
  19. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

I'm of the group "if ya ain't gonna build it or use it" move it on to someone that will.

Can't take it with you and what medal or trophy do you win if after you die it ends up in a dumpster or some reclaim pile somewhere.

I'd hate to think of all the old hi-po parts, intakes, distributors, carbs etc ended up in a dumpster or scrap yard.

We had a local large scrap yard here years ago and I remember a buddy of mine saying he stood there and watched some guys collection of intakes go thru the grinder. He said there were a bunch of 3x2 intakes with carbs, some aluminum and some cast iron.
    Asked him I'd he grabbed any, he said no, he said he had no idea what they were off and he wasn't a car guy anyway, although he did say it was a shame there wasn't a car guy there to save them. Said there was easily over 25 or 30 of them plus a bunch of headers, bell housings etc.

But I guess the old guy won, he had them all when he died, wonder how many medals he got for that in the afterlife? I'd rather seen then saved and used but hey that would have meant I would have actually had to part with them myself... how stupid would that have been !!

20. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

People are allowed to do pretty much what they want. And what they do often has nothing to do with winning or medals.

Outback, hotrodharry2, rod1 and 9 others like this.
  21. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Lots of presumtions being made here...
    Perhaps we just enjoy the pics of Mr.Aldrige's collection. That & the fact he's made relationships with fellow hot rodders that are willing to step up & help with his prized possesions even after he's no longer with them.

Outback, ffr1222k, rod1 and 14 others like this.
  22. duecesteve

duecesteve

I never seen a Brinks truck at the graveyard!

lostone and Mr48chev like this.
  23. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I know a guy like that who has a big shop so full of stuff that you can't move around in it to actually work except in the bay with the hoist. He has/had a hord of very desirable cars out back in sheds that have probably deteroriated to the point that they are now worth what he paid for them 50 years ago because he as far as I know never sold one off.

I don't have a lot of stuff but if it isn't designated for a current project that I have it is getting sold or maybe given away to somone who needs and will use it.

duecesteve and lostone like this.
  24. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If it wasn't for the "hoarders", a lot of these old parts wouldn't even exist anymore.
    I think the number of parts they've allowed to be scrapped is probably a drop in the bucket compared to the number they've saved.

Outback, Phillips, Squablow and 8 others like this.
  25. BJR

BJR

Hoarders have indeed saved lots of parts for the rest of us. It's just sad for them, as they buy cars and parts, with the idea that some day they will finish the car or use the parts on a car. But that never happens, because all their money is tied up in cars and parts that will never be used by them.

Outback, Squablow and Okie Pete like this.
  26. I had known Paul for many years. He cold be eccentric at times, but he was very knowledgeable and talented. He danced to a different drummer. He was a serious collector of many thing, especially the Oldsmobile engines, and parts that he had in his house. I found a Fenton Oldsmobile header for him many years ago. It made a pair for him, and made him happy. Even though I now live in Pennsylvania, I always found time to talk with Paul whenever we came up to the
    V-8 flea market in Fitchburg. Paul did a lot of work on things other than Fords. Paul was very instrumental in getting the New England Hot Rod Museum off to a good start. He was very concerned with doing things correctly. As I said before, Paul is missed already. We lost a friend and a very talented person.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2024
    Outback, The37Kid, hfh and 17 others like this.
  27. For all of you referring Mr. Aldridge as a hoarder I can assure you he was far from that as you can be!

He was a collector who kept parts on hand for projects!

He found the chassis from Bannister Brothers dragster recreated it with many of the original parts! He also cloned their 303 Olds powered 52 Ford two wagon making sure both projects were finished before Fran Bannister's passing from Leukemia in 2001.

upload_2024-3-3_16-48-3.png
    upload_2024-3-3_16-46-26.png upload_2024-3-3_16-46-53.png upload_2024-3-3_16-47-14.png

Paul also recreated and races the 400 JR. coupe.

upload_2024-3-3_16-50-13.png upload_2024-3-3_16-51-8.png upload_2024-3-3_16-52-41.png upload_2024-3-3_16-53-9.png upload_2024-3-3_16-53-44.png

As well as Jackson-Peterson "The Excaliber" (circa 1955) dragster

upload_2024-3-3_16-55-27.png

Paul was very helpful to many of myself and many other younger northeast hot rodders. When I was doing research on some of my vintage BlueFlame speed parts he just flat out gave me this 1958 Cragar catalogue.
    upload_2024-3-3_17-4-30.png

28. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Sadly I have a good friend for many many yrs, he has a bunch of 55-57 cars and parts, I would bet his house payment is nothing compared to his monthly storage building payments.

He has 409 stuff, hi-po Chevy stuff from mid 50's to late 60's mainly. His house has 4 or 5, 55' to 57'sitting around it, don't know how many are in the 30x50 building behind his house and the storage buildings.

A ton of HD gm 4speeds, a 56 or 56 Pontiac 2 door station wagon etc etc, the list goes on but not even a head bolt is for sale.

Won't sell absolutely nothing, tried getting a 401 nailhead from him, then an old hemi, then a Pontiac motor in the last 2 months but nothing, and his storage is walk thru paths only.

If he would just sale it to friends he could buy a restored car or two of his choice and actually be driving something. No kids and a family that has no interest in cars and a wife that just sees it all as clutter. Figure one day the storage building owners will just call a scrapper to come get it all once he passes away...

29. pigIRON63

pigIRON63

I had an old friend pass away a few months back. He had a huge hoard of cars and parts. I bought what I could from his son, but I didn't have room for it all. He sold a lot to others as well. I showed up one day and a man was there who bought what was left. It went to the crusher. A sick feeling came over me, but you can't save it all.

Squablow, lostone and duecesteve like this.