Register now to get rid of these ads!

helping 2 pieces of aluminum stay tightly secure?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by touchdowntodd, Sep 13, 2010.

1. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd

this is for an OT project (pesco aircraft feathering pump pumphead)...

but i have a 2 piece aluminum part taht is held together with approximately 8 bolts..

bolts are permanetly attached to 1 half, and nuts hold the 2nd half on

there is a very thin, almost celephane type of seal between the 2

fluid flows through these 2 parts at about 1800psi

i need to find a way to keep this TIGHT and leak frree.. it seems like i am blowing through the seals and the part begins to leak.. they work sometimes, sometimes they wear out very quickly.. one of mine is holding well, the other is having issues, and i want to find a solution

i have wire tied this next one I am going to put on... but i am looking for something else to do as another security layer..

ive seen people do everything from weld (hard to keep pin hole-free and i dont have the skills for this either way ), to JB weld or water JB weld (lol, a little country for me but works for others) .. sealing it from the outer edges of the 2 pieces is the only way because it needs to retain the close tolerances within the unit when together.. gears must fit the same between the 2 halves

any ideas would be appreciated...

Last edited: Sep 13, 2010
  2. Is the seal blowing out/leaking in the same area every time?
    Is there a specific torque order/sequence to the bolts/nuts?
    Is it possible the machined (inside) surface has a flaw?

Do you think the Aluminum is warping to allow the leak?

Could you build a steel one piece plate with holes go under the nuts, against the aluminum and spread the bolted loads uniformly along that side of the aluminum?

If the additional plate works, I would guess the aluminum is deforming when tightened?

I've heard that cryo freezing on industrial fluid pumps creates equidistance in the molecules and relieves machined stress/flex. "Traditional" - maybe since the process dates back into the 1920's.

3. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd

seal is blowing on the pressure side each time

ive checked the planes and they are level... also bolted down correctly..

the seal is the weakness, since they are 50+ years old.. and making a new one is a challenge because it almost needs to be like window tint thickness..

this is why im looking to do something outside of the piece..

keep in mind there are moving gears in there.. so cant get tooo hot

4. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

maybe a 3m vhb adhesive would do it, maybe copper? remind me to not fly in a 50 year old plane.

5. Have you considered having it machined for an O-ring?

6. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd

machining could work... maybe... hmm...

idk.. i need to take one apart better and get a beter idea

ive thought of a few "backyard" ways to do it that wouldnt work, but i want tihs done right LOL