Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods HELP - WRITER'S BLOCK: I Need To Pick Your Brains!!!! Mmmmm...BRAINS!!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KIRK!, Jan 12, 2012.

1. hemi

hemi

LOL... an angry mob would show up in Pleasanton with ptichforks and torches...

2. 3rd Gen Hot Rodder

3rd Gen Hot Rodder
    from Indiana

3. Damn
    And Bruce has done it again. I was thinking along the same lines but couldn't come up with the terminology.

4. TraderJack

TraderJack

When I was in the 10th grade in San Diego, 1938, I could, after school, go down on University Avenue, and go into Dale Chalfant's Orignial Speed Shop, and watch Dale, and his mechanic work on stuff. They never told me to leave or ask me what I was doing, they just let me watch them do stuff!

I don't know how it is today, but there might be a story there on how to get the young interested in the mechanics of making things, in the Speed Shops.

When Paul Schiefer had his speedshop in San Diego the same thing was in effect, if I remember correctly.

All served to encourage young people into the hobby.

Do speedshop still have the open doors, or does insurance policies ban that sort of stuff.

5. belair

belair

In line with what Titus said, trends that magazines promote but don't catch on. Good luck-writer's block sucks.

6. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

X2, my sons have a 20 year old "krauter" not a "ricer", regardless they are constantly asking when we are finally going to get a real old car project again - they just like cars.

Although you just KNOW that the day the Gazette comes out some idiot who cannot read will post a thread about how "Goodguys is letting in 'ricers' in the 2012 shows! That's the last straw, no more of my money, blah blobity f'n blah..."

7. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I was going to say DO? magazines influence our trends in our culture anymore... Oh wait, this is for a magazine! But seriously, All of the magazines aimed at us with the exception of TRJ have alienated me to the point where I'm just buying one or two these days. And this is someone who has collected magazines for forty years or so.

8. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

just another thought...how about an article about the string of stolen cars/trailers that seems to be ever increasing and ways to protect your vehicles when traveling to a goodguys event (gps tracking etc)

9. KIRK!

KIRK!

Look for something cool regarding this soon.

10. KIRK!

KIRK!

That's one I thought of too.

11. 36couper

36couper
    from ontario

SRM covered this topic very well recently.

12. realkustom51

realkustom51

How about the old guys like my Dad. He rummaged thru old Chevrolet dealership attics back in the late 60's. He brought the obsolete parts to the customer much like the internet does today.
    PS. He is near 80 years old and just this morning, woke up, loaded his pickup, and headed for Charlotte to set up for this weekend. I saw a NOS 265 powerpak setup in the box among other things. Nearly 20 55-57 chev bumpers, which he collected up, preped had plated prior to this weekend.

13. How about the Rat Rod trend seems to be fading away! More finished cars are beeing built. Or...Are Muscle cars taking over the shows? What about the LACK of GOOD car related, television shows?

14. Gigantor

Gigantor

Could you write about a time in the not to distant future where the new fad will be un-rat rodding rat rods. Un-chopping. Un-channeling. Un-fucking up old tin. It's right around the corner, you know it is.

15. slowmotion

slowmotion

How about the effect and impact the internet has made on the hobby. Finding parts, effect on prices, trends, tutorials, how-to's, etc. Forum's influences, and their cultures & sub-cultures. Maybe you've already done this, dunno. Seems alot topics within for plenty of material.

16. Wait! I just remembered it's for Good Guys....
    How about where to but the best trailers?
    Who embroiders chairs to match your cars?
    Cheapest place to buy visers with the spiked hair on it.
    Staw hat maintenence.
    Power Parking,made easy!

Just kidding,of course,hahaha!

17. Un-chopping? Really?

18. Gigantor

Gigantor

Only an inch or three. Those mail-slot window things just ruin the cars IMHO. I'm not talking about returning a roof to stock height, just a tasteful chop.

For example...
    [​IMG]
    By earthshaker5769 at 2012-01-12

19. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

I think this has more to do with how you as a person were raised and not about what kind of car you drive.

While I completely agree with you not everyone feels that certain paint colors have a limited lifespan. Also alot of women have influences regarding their husbands choice of color and some women like those colors therefore making it difficult for some guys to justify to their wives repainting if the paint job is still presentable.

20. weez

weez

Maybe something about those sun-visor-spiky-hair-hat things, where to get them, what colors they come in, will they make me look younger, etc.

21. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

Guess being old my suggestion would be how the hobby changes as a guy's life progresses and how it balances stages of your life. For example when you are a teenager, the hobby helped me handle adolescence and centered me on doing constructive (okay mostly) rather than getting into bad trouble. The hobby waned when kids came along and picked up again when the nest was empty. Now at almost the seventh decade, some of us have become caregivers for our spouses and the hobby now is my "shrink couch", allows escape for a few hours, puts a smile on my face when I go to the IGA for milk and bread in my chopped shoebox. For most of us, hot rods are woven into the fabric of our lives, a constant. Providing us with life long friends, great stories to tell our grandkids, someplace to retreat to when things are tough, that sort of thing.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
  22. rainhater1

rainhater1
    BANNED
    from az

Explain how cars are chosen for awards, who has input and what they look for. No BS the real deal. Have been told that the supporting clubs ( over the hill gang ) can black ball some cars.???

23. KIRK!

KIRK!

Awesome! That could be a whole issue though.

I literally just pt the hammer down from hanging some of your shit up in my new office. Just prints, the originals don't leave my house.

24. KIRK!

KIRK!

I have done that several times. People still make up their own conspiracy theories like host clubs black balling cars.

25. Talk about your pervious experience working with that ex-model who host "America's Next Top Model" it has nothing to do the hot ridding but it's one of my favorite stories that you've told me. Plus you could run that awesome photo of you in that Mugato looking jacket.

26. raidmagic

raidmagic

I figured as much but I thought I'd throw it out there anyway

27. As for something car related what about the Allison & K!RK designed truck to end all Rat Rodding that was thought up in Puyallup a few years back?

28. raidmagic

raidmagic

How do you drive that?

29. BadgeZ28

BadgeZ28
    from Oregon

I don't know if a profile would fit what you do? I would really like to see a piece on the late Tony Nancy. His cars back in the 1960's were clean and a notch about most.

30. KIRK!

KIRK!

Fuck that bitch! She's lucky she didn't get punched.