Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help with WIndshield Frame?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by alwayzarat, Feb 15, 2011.

1. alwayzarat

alwayzarat

I've searched all over and even searched a lot on the net, but can't find any pictures of a closed car 26-27 Model T windshield frame disassembled. I need to put new glass in the frame and I am not entirely sure how to go about it. I know to remove the screws that hold the piano hinge to the header panel. After that, there has to be away to take the frame apart to get the glass out. I think somehow the top comes apart but I am not sure about this. The front of the frame apears to have take welds in the corners of the upper piece of the windshield frame. Maybe just the back comes off? If anyone has a picture of one taken apart to remove the glass, that would be a tremendous help. I would think a model A windshield frame would be designed the same way?
    THanks!

2. musicrodder

musicrodder
    from Upstate NY

I replaced the stock glass many years ago, unfortunately, no pictures. I'm trying to remember, there were a couple of recessed set screws that were along the sides to remove a piece. The glass still took some work to get out of the frame, had some type of cloth tape inside the support channel.

3. Cat-bird

Cat-bird
    from NWPa.

I just got a repo windshield frame for my model a pickup. The top of the frame lifts up and out.There are 4 screws on the sides of the top corners. Remove these screws and the top should lift out Don't remove screws on the top as they hold the corner supports in place. I know you have a T but its probly the same. Hope this helps you.

4. alwayzarat

alwayzarat

Sounds good. The frame I have isn't in the best shape, but it's original and it works. I'm thinking worst case I may have to take it apart and put the glass in then put a couple tack welds to help keep it sturdy. I'm hoping the glass guy knows a little about them too. I know he did the glass in a friend of mines model A, so I think we will be ok. I am just going to take the whole frame to him and see what we can figure out. I'm thinking about a hundred bucks is a fair price? The top is chopped 6 inches, so the windshield is pretty small!