Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Help with Traditional '30 Model A Coupe build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TiredIronGRB, Oct 19, 2010.

1. TiredIronGRB

TiredIronGRB

I recently bought a '30 Model A Coupe body with frame and would like to build a traditional Hot Rod out of it and have a few questions.

I found a '46 Ford car chassis with front/rear axle, shocks, steering column/box, driveshaft and transmission. I also know where there's a Flathead and transmission from a '49 F2...my question is how much of this is usable on the coupe?

Thanks,
    GRB

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 1, 2011
  2. TiredIronGRB

TiredIronGRB

How about a S-10 frame and paint it black with red wheels????:rolleyes::confused:

3. coolbreeze1340

coolbreeze1340
    from Indiana

Nice start with that body and frame. I'd use the A frame and grab that motor. I think you can make use of the steering column and trans too but someone on here should know more.

4. vegas

vegas

Great looking body! I would think you could use most of the parts you found, except for the 46 frame, of course.

5. Rob Paul

Rob Paul

Get that suff if the price is right. Use the 8ba flathead and the 46 rear (depending on the ratio). Find a 39 top loader tranny and build a nice simple Av8. Run a drop model A axle up front with split 46 bones. That 46 will have what you need for juice brakes too.

Rob

Good looking body....

6. S-10 frame???? Use the A. Looks like a good start. Grab that Flathead!

magster65 likes this.
  7. pincher

pincher
    from Saginaw

I second what vegas said, nice looking body by the way. Sure wish mine looked that nice when i got it. Good luck with the build,and keep us all posted.....PINCHER

8. rats28

rats28
    from Louisiana

yep do that perfect combo

Last edited: Oct 19, 2010
  9. 29AV8

29AV8

all of it is good stuff. buy the stuff even if you are not going to use it now. never know when you might. like my grandpa used to say. it is better to have it and not need it. than to need it and not have it. that body is killer.......

10. TiredIronGRB

TiredIronGRB

It was a joke...my first post went 5 hours without a reply, mentioned the S-10 frame and bang...got 6 replys in 16 minutes :cool:

11. I thought it was a joke, but you never know these days. I feel much better

12. TiredIronGRB

TiredIronGRB

Thanks for the info guys, so split the bone and I assume cut off the spring mounts and mount the spring over a dropped axle. What about the '46 spindles, hubs and springs?

13. adam401

adam401

X member out of the late frame would be great in that A chassis. Gotta shorten it up but it'll accept early pedals and a v8 tranny. A friend of mine did this in the chassis of his 29 coupe and it was awesome, all early Ford stuff. I wish I did that in my coupe.
    Shock mounts are cool, pedal assembly, steering column, plus the banjo if its got it as well as any juice brake stuff.

14. seventhirteen

seventhirteen
    from dago, ca

the motor/trans and rear end are a nice choice, the 46 front end isn't a great choice for a traditional build but the spindles and brakes are a great choice. most folks go with a spring over the axle which looks right

looks like a great body

15. Deadelvis2000

Deadelvis2000
    from Austin, TX

Congrats,

Do yourself a huge favor and buy the Bishop/Tardell book on how to build a traditional AV8. It will answer most of the questions you have plus ones you didnt even know you had. Its the bible round these parts. Good luck.

16. TiredIronGRB

TiredIronGRB

It's in the mail.

17. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I third what vegas said............

18. TiredIronGRB

TiredIronGRB

What about the body, do most go back with the wood or what about replacing with steel and filling the roof?

19. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Most go back with wood......

20. WildWilly68

WildWilly68

These guys have you on the right track. The body is in great shape, I would be inclined to leave it "as is" and run it....and I'm a guy who likes paint!

21. TiredIronGRB

TiredIronGRB

The body has some rough areas and is cracked in several spots, most of the wood is gone and what's left is bad. I would like to replace it all with steel and make it more rigid but I don't want to ruin the value of it.

22. 35mastr

35mastr
    from Norcal

You know what your doing. I have seen your other cars. If you do it in steel and done right it wont hurt any value. I would only use wood where you actually have too.

23. Pete1930

Pete1930
    from Boston

That body looks really good! Congrats. Do you have the pass door and the trunk lid? My body came the same way - drivers door, but no passenger or lid. Took me a while to find those in my price range.

You can use the front 46 axle - it has a slight drop to it. It's what I have in my A. Posies makes a spring for the 42-48 front axle to use in a spring-over configuration.

It's a little wider at the spring perches than the 'standard' choices, but it'll work for me.

Good luck
    Pete

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. TiredIronGRB

TiredIronGRB

I have both doors, pass door looks to have been in a fire...no rumble lid.

What about running a set of 16" wire wheels? (pro/cons)

Last edited: Oct 20, 2010
  25. Now I like that idea. But just to be on the safe side just paint the backs of the wheels red and leave the outside as ratty as possible. :eek:

You should be able to use all the pieces you found. The '46 chassis is probably best sold or gifted to someone else but the rest of the pieces including the brakes are usable. I'm not a flathead guy but that is a usable flattie unless its trashed. That remains to be seen I guess.

26. TiredIronGRB

TiredIronGRB

Here's some pictures of the chassis, supposed to be a '46. The wheels are toast (centers may be ok) and the front axle is bent but didn't plan on using it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

27. -Brent-

-Brent-

Plenty of good, swappable parts there. I really like that coupe body, looks to be in great shape.

28. TiredIronGRB

TiredIronGRB

Is this transmission usable, all the shift linkage a steering column is there and it would be pretty cool to use it.

29. TiredIronGRB

TiredIronGRB

EDIT: deal feel through on these parts.

Wasn't getting many answers here so I looked up a old Ford guy close to me and he put me on a guy who had recently tore apart a '40 Ford pickup to Street Rod. The truck was completely restored a few years ago so the engine, transmission, front and rear axle where rebuilt. Will change out the front axle with a 4" dropped axle and go with a Posies spring.

I'm also getting everything he pulled off the truck including a nice little heater, a repro wiring harness, all mounts, cross members, bolts and brackets. So in one deal I got most of what I needed.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2010
  30. WildWilly68

WildWilly68

Looks like you have a great set up there now. Only thing to remember is if you run the spring behind rear setup you will have to extend the frame and move the crossmember back. I am thinking it is about 7-7/12 inches if my memory serves me correctly. Congrats on the parts score.