Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Help with Torque converter seal

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Dixie Rambler, May 18, 2020.

1. Dixie Rambler

Dixie Rambler

Sorry for the 2nd post I’m not sure if this is proper etiquette posting twice in this thread. If not my apologies. I have a 1953 Chrysler and it caught on fire. I got the fire out quick but the source of the fire seemed to be trans fluid leaking. I’ve talked to a few guys and they told me it sounds like I blew a torque converter seal. I need some advice on how to check this out and what else should I look at?
    Thanks!

2. squirrel

squirrel

Your other thread probably is where you should have posted this question..but anyways...

I guess first you need to see what's leaking, but start by checking fluid levels. The transmission and the engine coolant. The coolant should be not quite full in the radiator, but covering the tubes, perhaps half way up in the top tank.

The trans...been a long time, I would have to look up how to check it on that car. Do you have an owners or shop manual for the car? And what trans does it have...full automatic? semi automatic? (does it have a clutch pedal, or not?)

stillrunners likes this.
  3. Almostdone

Almostdone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Auto trans fluid is among most flammable liquids in a car. Been to lots of car fires caused by trans fluid. It’s usually from a trans coolant line.

Any way to see what and where there may be a leak? Sorry, that’s a dumb question.

4. For someone to say a Converter seal is a pretty bold statement without looking for himself. A little investigation on your part will help a lot and quite often is pretty easy to see. Specially if it's safely up enough to be under it while running. That part should be a 2 person job. One to start and stop the Motor and one to watch where it comes out from.

5. 270dodge

270dodge
    from Ohio

To check the fluid level. Engine idling, run through the gears pausing a couple of seconds in each one.
    Check in neutral- with a cold engine fill to the L mark.
    When a car with an auto transmission sets for 20 or so years the oil drains from the seal and upon starting the seal lip is ripped out.
    Chrysler recommended a 20,000 mile change interval.

6. Does that trans have a lower inspection cover to remove? If so remove it,and park over a drip pan,and watch it while running.I would think it would take quite a lot of ATF to be a real fire cause not just a drip.I once had a iron powerglide pump fluid up the filler tube on to the exhaust manifold.That started a fire.I also had a iron powerglide with a bad converter seal that filled the converter housing with fluid.Didnt know it until I was removing the trans,and cracked it loose from the block.There was a quart trapped in there,and it ended up everywhere.If the starter on that car fits in to a hole in the front of the housing remove it,and snake a piece of cotton rope down in to the bottom of the housing.If you pull it out,and its soaked you have a bad leak.If it comes out mostly dry the seals fine.Check your steel lines for cracks,and loose fittings.

7. Dixie Rambler

Dixie Rambler

Thanks!! I’ll test it!

kidcampbell71 likes this.