Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical help with spalding flame thrower.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jambottle, Oct 13, 2021.

1. jambottle

jambottle

finally got the nailhead fired up.having trouble getting the flamethrower dialed in.if we set the dwell on one set of points,those 4 cylinders work fine but the opposite 4 cylinders have a miss9popping in exhaust.and if we set the dwell on the other set of points,the other 4 cyls have a missfire.any ideas on sinkrinizing the points.i tried to get ahold of bubba but i guess he closed his distributor business up .the thing worked fine 60 years ago in my 32 coupe..any help would be greatly appreciated,

Barrelnose pickup likes this.
  2. jambottle

jambottle

3. jambottle

jambottle

4. famdoc3

famdoc3

I think your problem is with the other adjustments on the points. You need access to an old distributor machine to set the point timing in the distributor. One set is mounted on a movable mount inside the distributor and it controls the timing. I don’t think it is possible to set this distributor up on the car it must be initially set up so the points are properly synchronized. Once that is done you can drop it back in and set the the base timing. I have read all I can find on them and have a distributor machine to run it on. There is quite a bit of internal adjustment to synchronize the points. Good luck MIKE

kadillackid and Max Gearhead like this.
  5. I don’t know what info you have so this may or may not help.
    From a guy who ran one for years,
    The advance weights are located in the bottom drive housing and any distributor shop can put a advance curve to match your engine set up. The points are late ‘50’s -early ‘60’s Ford. One set is from a six cylinder and other is from a V8. They are a mirror opposite match. Set them both at .015 gap or 55 to 60 degrees of dwell. They must also be adjusted in phase at 45 degrees apart on a distributor machine . The distributor shop can do this while setting up the advance curve...I ran dual Judson coils .

rod1, kadillackid and Max Gearhead like this.
  6. jambottle

jambottle

well we got the points synced and then it was fireing across the plug wireing and got the thing working great except it was only advancing 10 degrees.took it apart and added lighter springs and massaged the weights and it now has the full 30.seems like we got her licked.finger crossed.hard to find good copper core wires?we are in nova scotia,so is difficult .dui has a nice hei unit but the big old flamethrower looks some good.and its the one i ran in my old 32 5winder back in the early 60s

7. Might want to add Spualding to t your title.

I have posted scans of the instructions. Do you have them?

@titus can set them up as well

8. jambottle

jambottle

i cant see to find the scans .can you repost them.thanks chris