Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help with "Rubber Rake"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 47 ford, Jan 15, 2009.

1. 47 ford

47 ford

Ok here's the question, I have seen cars with with large tires in the rear and smalls in the front, to get the "hot Rod" look, but is it possible to put larger tires in the front and smaller in the rear to help me get the taildragger look? I can lower the car about another inch in the rear, but i'm not sure that it will give it the right stance.

My car is screaming for wide whites and I only want to buy the tires once, so any help, tire sizes, would be great. It currently has 215 60 15's on it now.

Attached Files:

2. Toqwik

Toqwik

You need to find a way to modify your suspension to get the stance you want. Wether it be c notching your frame, modifying frame rails, etc. Do it once and do it right.

3. 47 ford

47 ford

Toqwik,

I can go an inch lower in the rear, but the problem is the front is so low. It does have a mustang II in there. any thoughts

4. belair

belair

Find a way to raise the front end, like different springs, spindles, etc. Tall tiers on the front and lilles on the back is NOT the wat to go, unless you hide the rear tires with skirts, and even then, I would not consider it.

5. Zombie Hot Rod

Zombie Hot Rod
    from New York

How about putting some new springs in the front to raise it up a bit?

6. Missing Link

Missing Link

I was going to mention using lowering blocks on the rear if you are running parallel leafs.

But I re-read your post and saw that you only have about 1" to work with. So that makes lowering blocks a waste of time in my book.

7. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

What type of rear suspension does car have? Why only 1" of clearance? Rear axle to frame? Does it have lowering blocks, etc on rear now? To raise front you would need to figure out exactly what height and spring weight that is in now. Sometimes not so easy to do. As a test you could put in some spring spacers, from many auto parts stores, to see if that will give you the look you want before buying new springs. To make it look lower in rear putting fender skirts on would do the trick. Not cheap to buy, but neither is altering suspension properly. The tires you have-215/60/15-are 25.1" tall (see calculators at project33.com). That is about right height for front. Because it is such a big car a slightly taller tire should be used in rear. Do not need to be 60 series. How wide are rims? Check with Coker for information on tire sizes. Going radial or bias? Also, best to go to shows, etc and look at what size tires, etc people are running. Every ride is different and you want to get exactly what you want-whitewalls no cheap.

8. brandon

brandon

my old one was the exact opposite of what you want..... 235/75/15 rears and 165/15 fronts....great rake too....:D

Attached Files:

9. 47 ford

47 ford