Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help with Rear End

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Zack Methvin, Jul 7, 2010.

1. Zack Methvin

Zack Methvin
    BANNED

Can anyone tell me what stock rear end i can have narrowed and use the original axles. I want to cut down & re-spline the stock axles. Aftermarket ones are pretty pricy and i am not building a race car anyway.

Thanks,
    Zack

2. 69fury

69fury

jeez brotha, you're gonna look for axles without tapers towards the splines. Each company had ones that did/didn't taper. I think the Mopar 8 3/4 is ok depending on year/body style, the Dana 60 is good to go as well but isn't cheap.

if you go Ford 9inch, you can probably buy them new close to the same cost as paying for shortening/splining in a non race situation.

I think it rules out the GM 10 bolt, not sure about other GM's

-rick

3. 73RR

73RR

4. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Pretty much all 28 spline 9" fords can be narrowed but you have to go atleast 4" per side..Station wagons and pick up with big bearing if shortened enough can be made into 31 spline because they get so much bigger towards the bearing..Get some bite and you'll break a shortened axle, been there..As per previous post; Way better to get a $300.00 set of axles, no worries..

5. Zack Methvin

Zack Methvin
    BANNED

Thanks guys. I am looking at Dutchman Axles now. I may just get a new pair. Thanks for the input.

6. Spicer 60 floater. Of course you will have a problem with the 8 lug wheels unless you don't mind 8 lug steelies.

You best bet is a big bearing 9" Ford. There is a place here that cuts and splines for 100-150 but that's the friends price. I think usually its pretty close to a new axle price to get them cut and resplined. I think Dutchman still does it reasonable and they are jam up.

7. NVScouter

NVScouter

From what you post basicly any full float rear. If this is for your truck why do you need them cut down?

A D60 rear can be had for $50-100 and like was said a non tapered shaft can be re splined if needed. 8 lug front spindle/brake combos are readily available or swap the front if you want too.

8 lug most 3/4-1T axles, 6 lug chevy/toyota(narrower and strong with longfields) 5 lug lots of fords, internationals (ScoutII rear from a 73+ is a narrowed D44), Jeeps, etc.

If you need a slightly narrower swap you can look into duely rears, toyotas, Scouts.

How much HP at the rear wheels and weight do you have?

8. wildearp

wildearp
    from tucson, az

Take a look at Strange Axles. They may be cheaper. I don't plan on stressing over resplining a stock axle on any project I do in the future.....

You didn't mention what you are building...........

The early Ford Bronco is the correct width for many projects. There is one in the truck in my avatar. When I had one narrowed for my 48 Ford, it ended up being the same width....

Some Granadas had this rear too, but they are scarce.

My most recent narrow job with new axles and bearings, and jig welded 4 link bars cost $725. That makes finding an early bronco rear worth a bit more effort.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2010
  9. Zack Methvin

Zack Methvin
    BANNED

Thanks guys. I am building another V8 VW Bug. The rear end in the last V8 bug i built was 37" flange to flange. I sold it and now i am looking to build another one with a great deal of lessons learned this go around. I will not be pushing more than 350-400 HP. This one is being built to cruise the streets in. the last bug was totally different, it dynoed at 509HP at the rear wheels. This time it will be a much more scaled down version. I will be custom fabricating the entire frame and suspension myself. I really have no interest in spending tons of money on a project that is only intended for occassional mild street performance. Besides, my wife would probably put a hit out on me if i spend as much on this project as i did the last one, LOL.

Tell me again, what GM car or truck can i use that has axles i can cutdown and respline? I will be running the old styler Cragar S/S wheels so it will have to be 5 lug.

Will a Ford 8.8 out of a Lincoln work for what i an wanting to do?

Last edited: Jul 8, 2010
  10. GM you're pretty much stuck with a 3/4 ton truck rear. Mayhaps an older Olds rear like say a '57 or so with the drop out chuck.

Most GM rears have a monster taper just behind the splines. But if you go with a floater like a 3/4 or ton truck its a piece of cake about any machine shop can do it.

Actually the 8 lug wheels and floaters hangin out there would totally complete the look of a bad assed gasser or altered. or you can redrill the flanges for whatever bolt pattern you want probably 5 on 5 would be best and put a wheel with a big hole in the middle. Like a Jeep wheel for instance.

11. Zack Methvin

Zack Methvin
    BANNED

I have a opportunity to get a 8,8 Ford rear end w/ disc brake from a Lincoln LSC. Can the axles in this rear end be narrowed and re-splined? Are they big enough in diameter to allow for cutting and resplining? I understand buying new ones from Moser, Strange or someone is the optimum route to take. However, at this stage in my project and attempts to cut costs as much as possible i would prefer to just cut the stock axles down. Once i have the car running and driving down the road, i can always go back and drop in a new stronger pair of axles. But, before i buy this 8.8 rear end i need someone to please tell me if i can cut these stock axles.

Thanks,
    Zack

12. 73RR

73RR

Time to call the Dutchman, or Strange or Moser, or...

13. brucer

brucer
    from western ky

generally you dont repline c-clip type axles, its not a good idea anyway, where the c-clip retainer groove is recut in the axle the groove gets recut where there is no heat treatment in the axle at that smaller diameter of the groove which will break off rather easy.

the 9inch axles that are one diameter the full length of the axle are near impossible to find. generally there are 2 or even 3 steps on a ford axle, if your not going real narrow you could do it pretty easy..

by the time you find some axles that would work you would would be better off just buying new axles from moser or dutchman.. definetly SAFER.. every set of re-splined axles i have done in the past eventually end up twisting, even on street cars, even the tight splines.

14. NVScouter

NVScouter

Just pull the axle shaft. When you do if it tapers from the wheel bearing area to the shaft then no. If its a straight shaft then yes.