Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help with painless harness

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 52 HenryJ, Apr 1, 2009.

1. 52 HenryJ

52 HenryJ

Ok so I have my new axles in and now have a 12 circuit painless harness to install. Has anyone done it? whats involved? And do you have any tips for me?
    Thank you in advance!

2. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Lots written here on setting up an electrical install.
    Do a search... More there than you can read in one evening.

3. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Do not run the charging circuit through the fusebox, run the alternator directly to the battery....

4. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Splice an inline fuse in the gray wire that goes to the instrument lights. If you dont and this circuit gets grounded, it will instantly burn out the rheostat in the headlight switch. Dont ask me how I know.:eek:

5. Be sure to always carry a FLASHLIGHT!

6. take it back and use an american autowire kit. install it by the directions with no mods to worry about or burning anything up
    Brant

7. oj

oj

Painless isn't

8. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

Painfull more like it, if not now then later!

9. 52 HenryJ

52 HenryJ

Good stuff there! Ill let ya'll know how it work.

10. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

If it is painless it should be simple. No pain, no gain!

11. terrarodder

terrarodder
    from EASTERN PA

Used one in my current ride and will use one i my truck if it gets that far. I guess being only a stupid cartenter never wiring a car helped.

12. 49coupe

49coupe

"Painless isn't"

My friend installed the Painless kit for his '50 Ford. He said the only painless aspect of the installation was taking it out of the box. It was downhill from there.

13. rustyford40

rustyford40
    from Mass Bay

I have used three painless kits, i would buy another. Just read the book make shur you understand it then do as it sayes. I USED A BATTERY CHARGER TO CHECK WHAT I WAS DOING AS I WENT ALONG

14. Crusty Nut

Crusty Nut

I've used many different brands of wiring kits and Painless was the worst.

15. Spike!

Spike!

I work at Ron Francis so don't ask me!!! ha ha ha

Spike

16. donzzilla

donzzilla

I put a Painless system in a '56 Buick. Went very easy. 3 years of service, no problems. Very happy.

I recomended one to a friend doing a 62 Ford Pick up. He called cursing me out. He had 2 weekends in it and still there were things that didn't work. I went over to help. First I asked where the instructions were, because he had the bigger harness that accepted power windows and such that mine didn't have. He replies. "I threw them away last weekend. They were %^&!! Who ever wroth them was an idiot." He had stuff running all over in the wrong place. Out from under the dash, around the outside of the window to the motor compartment, A bunch of wires were cut off. He said. "My truck don't have a trunk. I didn't need them". One of the grounds just had a bare wire wrapped around a part of the dash like a bread twisty. There were bare wires twisted together laying bare on metal. It was a mess. The battery was laying on the floor with the wires wrapped around the terminals with masking tape to hold them in place. When I asked why the crappy work. He said " I want to make sure everything works, then I'll neaten everything up. The way things are going this thing is going in the trash very soon"

Moral of this story. When someone says that the stuff that they are installing is junk. Have a look at how they are doing it. .

17. Bob Dobolina

Bob Dobolina

Take the harness & lay it out next to the vehicle...get your head around where things need to be routed, and any circuits you might want to move/relocate. Next, read the damn install manual. Not the be-all, end all of information, but it will you give you some idea of that to look for before you install the thing. I've got Painless in my 46, and in my 69. Granted not the cheapest, but the stuff works.

18. Have used some where north of 20 of these kits. Some of those cars have 10 years and 50,000 miles on them - no problems. Couldn't be much easier. Follow the directions and use some common sense.
    Have used many of the other brands too. All of them have there + and - :D

19. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Bingo.

I've got one in my '57 Plymouth and have had zero electrical issues since installation. Clean install too. ;)

20. rustyford40

rustyford40
    from Mass Bay

How can it be hard every wire is labeled just go from point a to point b. keep it neat.

21. duste01

duste01

If your sensible enough to ask that question, you are also sensible to already know the answer.

22. rustyford40

rustyford40
    from Mass Bay

I'll but it this way. If you can't plug in xmas lights dont try to wire your rod.