Register now to get rid of these ads!

help with olds 303/324 fuel pump options!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bones35, Apr 18, 2006.

1. bones35

bones35

im having problems with my electric pump, and hate the idea of being stradand from a damn fuel pump, but the stock one dosent look like it will fit in the in the forty, plus i dont need all the extra junk on it. does anyone know of a good replacement. the 70 buicks look like they have the same arm.

2. vintagesurvivor

vintagesurvivor
    from detroit

Well, I still have the same electric pump in the rod after 47 years, and it's still pumping fine.
    A decent electric pump won't let you down. A Holley Red with a regulator will probably outlive you : )
    Not sure what pump mechanical will work.
    Mark

3. 55olds88

55olds88

If you can stand the noise.....
    I know one of the engines I have had a single action pump just a fuel pump not tryingto do vacum as well, I think it was an earlier 303 one ?

4. vintagesurvivor

vintagesurvivor
    from detroit

Noise? I can't hear past the open headers :D
    The only thing I hear is a slight ticking behind the seat, very slight and hardly noticeable really.
    I say use whatever works best and is available for you, either way .

5. 55olds88

55olds88

Ah that was the problem, no open headers.... I must agree the Holleys are pretty good, I ran one for a while, worked great but damn it was noisy even with some rubber insulating it from the frame.
    Again a good thing where space is tight.
    Just wish it would work now so I could sell it !!

6. bones35

bones35

i guess im just using a cheap one, 39.00 bucks from parts store.

7. fuel pump

fuel pump
    Member Emeritus
    from Caro,MI

Carter makes a good one (in Jegs and Summit for around $50-$60). Make real sure your tank isn't full of rust and shit otherwise you will continue to plug up pumps until you get all that stuff out.

8. Dago 88

Dago 88
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a 1962 "394" one on my "324" works fine and does not have the ugly vacuum attatchment on it.
    Cheers Dago ;)

9. bones35

bones35

thanks thats what i was looking for. cory

10. seymour

seymour
    from PNW

Isn't the 303 arm different than the 324/371/394 one though?

11. I've got a 324 Olds and running an electric pump for an late 80's factory style S-10 pickup. It is small to average in size, very quite and OEM dependable

12. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

The fuel pump I found for my early nailhead is just a fuel pump with no vacuum pump, and it was intended for a Buick powered medium duty Chevy truck. I know that some '50s medium duties used Olds V8s as well--you may want to check out that angle.

13. 55olds88

55olds88

yup GMC used Olds motors in the 50's so they might be different....

14. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

I REALLY REALLY can't say enough for the Carter "hanging bucket" style electric pumps- they're quiet, and last forever. (7 years and counting on the cutlass-which has a pretty high fuel demand.)

they're quiet
    they work

How I found out about them is a good story.
    I was at Austin Performance buying ANOTHER holley blue (about 1 a year at that point) and this guy that builds killer cars comes in, shoves his way to the front of the line, and slams a carter electric fuel pump on the counter! He looked PISSED. he demanded a refund, because "this one only lasted 13 years, and the one he had before that lasted 22!" then he erupted with laughter.
    I was sold on the spot.

15. bones35

bones35

the carter is what i ended up puttin on the car. havent had a single proplem with it.