Register now to get rid of these ads!

help with molded rear fenders !

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by legend, Oct 20, 2012.

1. legend

legend
    from Irwin PA

Previous owner molded the rear fenders to the body on my 41 Ford sedan. I plan on doing some body work this winter. I looks like they just used body filler to mold them. my problems is that they are starting to crack and they have a few bubbles. :eek: Whats the best way to redo them with out using lead? Thanks in advance for any help

2. i would remove the filler and leave them un-molded , i think cars look better that way. you can use some fender welt in the joint if you want , but i prefer getting the fenders to fit and not to use any welt . neither my `28 tudor or `36 coupe have any welt in the rear fenders

3. 3window!! You just made my mind up!
    My 47 had the welting pulled out for a sh%^ty paint job, and never put back. I have the welting, but I'm not sure I like the look. I'm like Legend. I was going to mold the fenders, but then was thinking of just tightening up the fender bolts and leaving it as is.
    If Legend wanted to, could he just tighten the bolts up and leave the fenders without?
    They look kind of like molded without the welting. What will happen if he pulls them up tight, and runs a very small bead of filler in the groove that's left?

4. Moonequipt13

Moonequipt13

to do this properly without cracking I would recommend grinding all the old filler out and at least stitch welding the fender to the body

5. fordor41

fordor41

..or cut narrow metal strips to bridge across the gap and weld to the body and fender. A lot of work and if you have to replace the fender, guess what!

6. BLWN 38 Alky PU

BLWN 38 Alky PU

If you need to use body filler, Use Duraglass, It has Fiberglass fibers in the body filler and is many times stronger than regular body filler. But be carefull and only use the right amount of hardener so it will sand out quicker. If you put too much hardener in the Duraglass and let it set up too long, it will take longer to sand out. A good Body shop supply store will have it in stock.

7. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA