Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Help with lug nuts....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by draggin49, Sep 6, 2019.

1. draggin49

draggin49

E5FB8FE6-F5D8-42A3-AEAD-CB56CDB6E37C.png I just picked up a set of original American Racing torq thrust wheels front 14x6 and back 14x7
    They seem to have a recessed spot where a washer fits .
    They didn’t come with lug nuts . So what I need to know is what specific size/length/style lug nut I need?? It looks like it is the shank variety not the acorn style like for Chevy steel wheels
    The car they are going on is a stock
    1955 Chevy 150 sedan

Thanks!

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
  2. Boneyard51 likes this.
  3. draggin49

draggin49

Ok I will go measure the stud length and then also measure the length of the front to back length of the wheel

4. The other thing that should be mentioned is this style lug nut MUST be torqued evenly. Uneven torque will allow them to loosen and a wheel coming off can be the result. The newer style tapered-seat versions aren't as sensitive to this which is why most wheel manufacturers have switched to that type, although IMO ANY aluminum wheel should have it's lug nuts torqued.

5. Crazy Steve is spot on. And just to be clear-er-er, you want the lug nut shanks to be as long as needed but you don't want them to bottom out and prevent the hex/washer from doing ALL the clamping force work. I'm sure you got all that already...... but there maybe someone out there who needs the tip. :rolleyes:

Boneyard51 likes this.
  6. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

other source options for lug nuts are summitracing.com / jegs.com / eBay.com: The Lug Nut King / etc

7. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

One other tip, retorque the nuts after a short drive and check them periodically. When I was running those wheels, I kept a torque wrench in my car! I checked them quite often! Sometimes I would find a lose one!

Bones

Frankie47 likes this.
  8. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

7/16" thread.

low budget likes this.
  9. WOODEYE

WOODEYE

Might try Lugnutguys.com. They will have what you need at reasonable price and fast delivery.

10. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good washers are about 3/16” to 1/4” thick and the lugs have threads all the way to the end of the nut. Check out Gorilla lugs... good luck.

11. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Be sure not to get the shank length super close to bottoming out, you will see some wear on the washers after removing and reinstalling the wheels a few times. Washer thickness can be your friend here.

Frankie47 likes this.
  12. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Not been that long since I picked some up at local parts house off the shelf, 5 or 6 bucks for four pack with washers.
    off brand maybe but they work.

13. jcwilliamsj

jcwilliamsj

one other note i always "never seize" mine otherwise they tend to gall and be difficult to remove

14. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Don't buy the store brand nuts off the shelf at the local parts store. The nuts are fine (they will rust faster than any of the quality nuts) but the washers are about half as thick and soft.

Gorilla is probably the best bang for the buck on good nuts and washers currently. Summit Racing is an excellent source.

The number one mistake people not familiar with shank lug nuts make is getting the shank too long as mentioned above. If the end of the shank contacts the hub before the wheel is tight you will never win the battle. That's how old mags get their lug holes wallowed out. I've even cut/ground the end of the shank off a bit to gain some breathing room there. You want a slight air gap between the end of the shank and the hub on the car, it they touch you're screwed.

Thick washers, correct shank length and proper torque are your friend.

SPark

15. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Another thing to be careful about is when using an air gun on shank style lug nuts with aluminum wheels, both when running the nut in or removing them as some wheels can have a tight lug hole bore, that along with the combination of a lug shank on the higher end of the diameter range, it can gall pretty easy.
    I made that mistake on my big rear Halibrands and it took some effort to get the build up off both the lug nut shank and the holes in the wheels, I put a small amount of antiseize on the shank now and run them in with a speed handle, then tighten them.

16. draggin49

draggin49

Thanks so much for all the tips/info on the lugs and rims that I mentioned above

I had another set of wheels(plain steel ones ) I was maybe gonna picking up as well for an extra set .

Had a question about those :
    What year Chevy/make steel wheels will work on a
    1955 Chevy 150 sedan car . Just wanna make sure these ones I’m considering getting would work. Thanks!

17. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

One other thing that has not been mentioned is to put all five lugnuts on by hand before tightening any nut. This is a good practice for any wheel, but mandatory for these type wheels.

Bones

jimmy six likes this.