Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Help with lost title company credibility!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by G ., Jul 6, 2018.

1. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Okay, I read word for word the document you provided the link for, and a link in that document to another one.

What I got out of it is that the title will be issued granting you ownership with out restrictions as to what you do with the vehicle thereafter...however, the title will be issued with a notation indicating there is a Bond associated with this vehicle. After a period of three years of no problems, you can request that the notation be eliminated from the title.

But none of that in any way restricts what the current owner can do with the car. It only serves as a notice to potential subsequent owners that a Bond situation exists. That said, there is no indication that a subsequent buyer/owner has a any risk in acquiring the vehicle. Stated 'conversationally", it says..."look, this car you are thinking about buying has a Bond associated with it. That has no adverse financial consequence for you, you should just be aware of the potential that someone may claim the bond previously purchased for that purpose, should that occur."

Ray

2. G .

G .
    from Austin

That is super helpful, thank you.

3. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

It's in response to your repeated rejection of all reasonable, and necessary, solutions offered to solve the problem you posed. If you are not willing to make the effort, pay the legally required fees and taxes, etc., etc. then no one can help you. Simple as that.

Ray

Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
    H380, metlmunchr and Irish Mike like this.
  4. G .

G .
    from Austin

See here's the thing- I asked specifically about two processes- you actually repeatedly suggested the *one* thing I said I'd rather not do. I can just as easily say "If you aren't willing to help with what I asked, why chime in at all"? But I'm not an a-hole, and wouldn't do that.

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

From my own experiences three years goes by pretty fast when you are in the middle of working on a project for most of us. By the time a lot of us would have the car finished the bond would have expired and we would be able to get a regular title that can't be contested.
    Unless someone local points out that "hey that guy has your Dad's/granddad's old car that you said you have the title to". It is seriously doubtful that anyone would ever show up claiming the car any how and they would have to go to the law with title in hand plus appropriate paperwork to do that.

29StudeDude likes this.
  6. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

It seems the bonded title route is the most beneficial (in the long run) and most recommended path to a legal title.
    You reject that notion...you are certainly entitled to make that choice...as for the disclaimer in your last sentence...might depend on who you ask.

Ray

Ebbsspeed, TagMan and gimpyshotrods like this.
  7. G .

G .
    from Austin

I'm pretty sure the guy who owned this is long since dead, so I don't think I need to worry about that. My whole issue with a bonded title in my state is the price gouging and the fact they want it appraised- well the car doesn't run so I'd have to trailer it somewhere. Just layers of issues I am trying to avoid since my day to day is already super hectic and I have no free time. Hence, wanting to pay a title shop to handle it for me- but they're all out of state soooo I was hoping SOMEONE had used a reputable one.

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't see around 15 bucks a thousand as price gouging and the link I posted says that for a fee they will do the paperwork.
    You may also be able to go off the selling price of very similar cars over the past year. I did that for my mom on an insurance claim. Found several rigs that were the same listed for sale around the country that were equal to hers and sent that info to the insurance company. I'd check with the bond company and see what they say rather than what the guys down at the spit and whittle club say.

Hell if you are in Austin you are close to the main state DMV office where you can get the straight scoop and don't have to get second hand or third hand info. You can talk with the person everyone else in the state has to check with.

As far as hauling the car in for appraisal or inspection we all have to jump though a few hoops at one time or another unless we can find someone who can come to where the car is and inspect the vin or appraise it there.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
    Hnstray likes this.
  9. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

If you think $400 is insane to get your title via bonded title I suggest you ask how much agents and other avenues want. I’d say it’s likely quite a lot more than $400

Hnstray likes this.
  10. 'Back in the day', before hot rodding became a multi-million dollar industry and 'empty nesters' started paying big money for their dream cars, these were just 'old cars' and nobody gave too much of a damn. But 'fake cars' passed off as genuine, stolen cars with altered VINs and/or titles, shady 'title companies' and multiple other scams have made the states take a hard look at title issues. One famous case was a knucklehead that tried to use an altered title identifying a '66 427 Cobra as a '1966 Ford' to avoid sale tax. Every state has a procedure to doing this, going outside that leaves you open to legal liability. And using the excuse 'its hard' will get you nowhere....

I've had issues with titled cars; I had just the issue you're complaining about (too high of a valuation). The sales tax was going to be more than I paid for car. Spent a few bucks getting an appraisal (and they'll come to you if need be), problem solved. In my case, photos emailed to the appraiser was all it took. A return email with a letterhead satisfied the state, good to go.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
  11. oldcootnco

oldcootnco

I titled my 29 truck using the bonded title here in Wi. The sales tax I paid was based on the amount listed on the bill of sale. The state required clear pics of the serial # and the four corners of the truck as in "purchased condition". I had to purchase a bond for 5k. Total cost for everything, tax, title, bond 187.00 I give a big shout out for the Wi. Car Club Alliance that lobbied to change the previous junk laws.

12. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you cannot afford a title bond, how can you afford to build your project?

whiteknuckle, bobwop, RICH B and 9 others like this.
  13. SR100

SR100

First off, you're right to hold off on doing much with it until its legal. I'm not clear whether you have a problem title or no title at all. This may affect your choices. Searching for "auto title service austin texas" showed a number of local services, it may be worth calling to see if they can negotiate something.
    Looking at the two websites you listed, the 2nd (TitleRecovery.com), web page implies that they do the "Vermont title trick" for you, for a fee. Not sure how the other one operates. Their websites sidestep the price question, which is a yellow flag in my opinion.
    If a local title company can't clear up the issues that you have without a bonded title, you may have to go to one of the multi-state shops like the ones you listed. See if you can get testimonials, or better yet, phone numbers of Texas clients who had similar issues resolved. What they can do for people in other states means little here. Get a firm price quote.
    One last thing, if Texas has penalties for late title transfer/registration, you'll want to move quickly. Good luck & let us know how it turns out.

14. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Most states won't accept the "out of state title dodges" and you can run into legal issues using that route. That works in a few select places, won't work in my state so never tried them.

Most here have given good advice to take some time and take care of it properly. If you don't have the time and money to legally go down the bonded title path, how do you plan to build or enjoy the car? Can't take a day off, tow the car wherever needed and get your paper work done correctly?

Why spend time or money to build a car without a legal title? Do the work to make that part right or you have absolutely nothing! Sounds to me like you are just looking for the lazy way out and wanting everyone here to see it your way and back your thought process. If this group (who many have dealt with this issue and are of the same hobby as you want to be) can't agree with you, why should the State of Texas when things come into question?

JMO,
    SPark

Irish Mike, Crazy Steve and Hnstray like this.
  15. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

So
    1200 bucks for a buildable Chevy II ?
    You said you want to build or repair this car.
    How much is a good running Chevy II worth?
    I'll bet a lot more than $4000.00

16. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

I wasted $400 trying to con the Colorado DMV into registering my Zipper using an out of state title company. The bond was half that plus $25 to have a licensed appraiser come by the shop.

17. G....you have your receipt for what you paid for it - have you taken that down there with a pic of the rust bucket ? Just saying....no offense...

18. J.L.B.

J.L.B.

Motorecycle.com ive used them a few times they are legit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using H.A.M.B. mobile app

19. J.L.B.

J.L.B.

20. southcross2631

southcross2631

I bought a 73 Chevy ramp truck that was in the middle of an ugly divorce. Went to a title company in Georgia and paid $ 200 and let them deal with the bullshit and they got my title in less than a month.
    I bought my Morris Minor with an open title that was 20 years old and a bill of sale. Tn. would not recognize the title because it was out of their system . Even the guy who's name was on the title could not get a new title from Tn. So I sold the car to a friend in Ga for $1.00 who registered it with the bill of sale . Ga has no titles on old cars. He sold it back to me for the same $ 1.00 and I took the Ga. registration to the Tn. DMV and got a new Tn. title. More than one way to skin a cat.

21. greybeard360

greybeard360

I guess I am a little lost here.... you say the VIN is clear.... then exactly what is the problem with the title?

I have bought and sold several older cars in Texas. If it is older than something like 20 years, they don't use NADA for value. I have bought and titled cars and paid tax on what was on the bill of sale I got from the seller... printed one out, had them fill in the blanks and sign it.
    If the title is simply lost... no biggie either. The owner that appears on the title can go to the DMV and apply for a copy.

APACHE FS likes this.
  22. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Marking this thread. Never dealt with a bonded title before.

23. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

All I can say is I love the process in Kansas. It is super easy to get a 35+ year old vehicle titled with just a Bill of Sale.

bobwop likes this.
  24. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Take the car back to wherever you got it from, and get your $800 back.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

upspirate and 47ragtop like this.
  25. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So what exactly is the story behind the car? If you bought it from the last registered owner, you can fill out the duplicate title form for them, have them sign it and pay the whopping $2 mail-in fee for the state to generate a replacement title.

https://www.txdmv.gov/txdmv-forms/doc_download/943-vtr-34-application-for-a-certified-copy-of-title

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  26. mrbeetle

mrbeetle

OP,
    I understand what you're saying; You don't want to overpay the government a sales tax based on a $4,000 minimum when you only paid $800. I get it, but that may be easiest (yes, "they got you"). You asked for opinions; I would recommend only doing business with a local title company if you choose to go that route. It's face to face and if they refer to any title "trick" I'd run. DMVs are used to seeing "tricks" and if you get someone sympathetic they will try to educate you for a while, then just let you do it wrong and notify police if you aren't willing to go along with the program. Someone who isn't sympathetic will just label you as shady and hamper every step of your journey.

I realize that the original question dealt with Texas, but I see that some people have been following this thread for future reference. Even some of the really good advice here has been murky, "In my State, Illinois, either a Bill of Sale or an appraisal from a licensed dealer establishes the value of the vehicle and therefore the Bond amount required." Um, sorry, bill of sale does not establish value for a bond amount (sales tax, yes; bond, no. Yes, they area separate things). For those that are using this thread as reference, if you are in the People's Republic of Illinois be sure to check the Secretary of State's website. The bonded title application is there. Here's the fact sheet http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/publications/pdf_publications/rtopr26.pdf
    If there are still questions about Illinois, search the bonded title law which is 625 ILCS 5.0/3-109
    Illinois is, I believe, one of the hardest states to deal with when it comes to vehicles. Even the counter workers at the SOS/ DMV get it wrong...A LOT. I try to work with people and give written warnings for the bad advice, but when the drivers argue I let a judge explain it: we write A LOT of tickets due to the misinformation given by the workers at SOS.

27. hbabler

hbabler
    from Texas

The last time I did a bonded title in Texas I paid the tax on the amount I paid for it since an SPV was not available. Now I do remember a minimum bond value, but that was not that expensive.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  28. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Judging by the quotes you used, it is my post you are referring to. I can tell you that my comments come from experience obtaining Bonded Titles (yes, plural) in the State of Illinois (as a private party) and spanning a range of 20+ to as recent as a year ago. Not at all a difficult process.

In addition to which, I was a licensed Illinois Automobile dealer from 1976 thru 2009, including New Car, Used Car, Repairer, Rebuilder and Salvage Certificates.

I make a conscientious effort to know what I am posting as fact is accurate. My opinions are a separate matter.....they are certainly prone to debate or rebuttal.

Ray

Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
    bobwop and metlmunchr like this.
  29. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't, and won't play games with the DMV.

I know people who have, and have ended up losing expensive cars.

Phillips likes this.
  30. greybeard360

greybeard360

I just double checked... Standard presumtive value does not apply to vehicles over 25 years old. If you have a bill of sale, they will use that value.

Hnstray and gimpyshotrods like this.