Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Help with insurance

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rat Rod Mac, May 3, 2014.

1. Rat Rod Mac

Rat Rod Mac
    from U.S.A.

I have been trying to get a hold of Grundy to set up my insurance for this summer and can't seem to get through. Even sent them an e-mail, but no response. I know there is an other insurance company called Haggerty or something like that, are they any good? Any other insurance companies out there that will insure a hot rod? Thanks. RRM

2. rfraze

rfraze

Check with State Farm. They have a collector car program which we used for our '57. They had to take pics at their office, application,etc. It seemed to work out pretty well.

3. R.Grundy

R.Grundy
    from Sarnia Ont

I dunno about insurance....but if you wanna send me money every month I'm ok with that. :p

My cars are through Intact insurance.

4. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I have Hagerty, and they seem OK to me in my policy terms and competitive price balance and availability, I've not had any claims, but never read of a dissatisfied policy holder concerning settlement of claims, but you may run a search and see for yourself.
    I haven't done a search for your introduction to the HAMB Forum, but if you read anything at all about us hard asses, then you should know that your current user name isn't going to "win friends and influence people", strictly only IMHO.

5. T.L.

T.L.
    from Colorado

I have Haggerty, but I noticed their premiums are double what Grundy's are.
    I have no idea why...

6. I just switched mine from Progressive to American family, didn't even question the lack of a true VIN.

dirty old man, take it easy on the new guy, at least until we know him, as your name could be debate-able also

7. Rat Rod Mac

Rat Rod Mac
    from U.S.A.

Sorry if the name offended anyone. Just grasping at straws for a name one day. You see I made my car myself so therefore it's not as good as the ones built by the big names like Pete and Jake or Foose. But I tried and did my best. I would even be game to show you guys some pictures, but I have no clue on how to do that. If anyone would be interested I do know how to send pictures to a personal e-mail address. Send me your e-mail address and then if you know how you could put it on here for me. Sounds like I'm asking for a lot, but what the heck. Just some more stuff to get on here to look at and talk about. Thanks to one and all on the insurance advise. Guess I'll just have to keep trying the phone lines to try and get through. Thanks again. RRM

8. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Do a search for "Car Insurance" on this site and www.fordbarn.com and you will find so much info. you won't be able to read it all in one lifetime.

9. American Collectors is great!

10. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Just trying to gently steer him into maybe avoiding the rat roid name itself, not a comment on his car. Very few pro built cars here on HAMB, BTW.
    As for my username it precedes my association with HAMB, or even the internet itself. Read my introduction and you'll see it isn't from " like some candt little girl?", but from my days on the dirt ovals back in the 60s and 70s. My front bumper had a lot more dents than the back bumper, LOL!!!!!!!

11. no55mad

no55mad

ANPAC Ins Co has 'Chrome' ins for classic cars. Easy to deal with and good prices.

12. Rat Rod Mac

Rat Rod Mac
    from U.S.A.

No one interested in taking me up on my offer to post a couple of pics? Just send me your e-mail address and I'll send you a couple of shots. If you don't like them or don't want to post them, then don't. No harm, no foul. How about you Old Man? See ya, RRM

13. 5window

5window

I use American Modern Home Insurance Co. Decent rate, guaranteed value and the coverage stacks with my dailies on my Nationwide policy so I have extra coverage-2 dailies plus one hotrod and one antique @ 100/300K each gives me really 400k/1.2million lability.

14. Rat Rod Mac

Rat Rod Mac
    from U.S.A.

Fell'as, I want to thank all of you guys for helping me on this insurance buying quest. I will start making some phone calls tomorrow and hopefully will come up with something. Thanks again. RRM

15. Compton guy

Compton guy

State Farm is the best. They have the best rates for special interest cars and the service is great. I hope you try it I don't think you would be disappointed.

16. Mercchev

Mercchev

No problems with Grundy. Had them for years on several different cars. We drive our cars all over the country. Do a search on insurance, lots of threads on here about it.

17. mechanic58

mechanic58

No problems with Grundy here also. I can't imagine why you can't get a hold of them. I applied for and paid for my policy online, took about 10 mins. Had the paperwork in the mail in just a few days. No complaints.

18. RRM...go back and look at the way you filled in your profile page when you joined up.
    No wonder no one wants to help you,with your attitude towards your future HAMB family..Nothing but smart ass answers you placed there

19. DeucePhaeton

DeucePhaeton

If you hit "Post Reply" rather than PQR you can "manage attachments". You can either cut and paste the URL or actually post the photo. If you actually post the photo there are size limits.
    Welcome to the HAMB BTW. Some on here can be brutal at times but most still mean well.

20. sp1ke

sp1ke

I use Ford heathcock very good

21. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

22. rfraze

rfraze

Are you buying insurance to protect yourself from loss or to get the car registered and be legal?
    Some of these companies sell agreed value insurance that pays that amount if something catastrophic happens. Other companies or policies pay what they think it's worth or less.
    Insurance required for registration and driving (liability) only cover damage you do to other's property and pay zip for your car.
    Make sure you know what you are getting when you start to compare companies and premiums this way.

23. RAF

RAF
    from MA.

Been using Grundy for years for all my cars, great rates and great service.

24. LuckyFordGuy

LuckyFordGuy

25. Lou39

Lou39
    from Cedar, MI

I can recommend Hagerty. Agreed value up front. Never heard a complaint. Disclaimer noted, they are HQ'd in my town.

26. jroberts

jroberts

I have used Hagerty for several years now and have no complaints. That said, knock on wood, I have not had to make a claim either. Rates are good. Grundy is not available everywhere. It is not available in North Carolina and they told me recently when I was checking on them that they have no plans to enter the market here either.

27. phat rat

phat rat

There's no way on earth that State Farm can match rates with Grundy for like coverage. Also State Farm has gotten real shitty on claims lately. My oldest sons motorcycle trailer with living 1/4's suffered roof damage from the snow this year and they denied the claim saying it happened over a long period of time, not suddenly. He's been with State Farm for 32 years and his premiums for everything he has insured with them runs almost $5000 a year, the damage was $2600. His agent tried to intervene and it didn't help a bit. Corporate said they didn't care how long he'd been with them nor if he left. So for a claim of $2600 they have lost $5000 a year in premiums

28. bluebanshee

bluebanshee
    from pa

This is the company that canceled my truck's policy without notice. I went through Geico and explained that the truck is going through restoration and they said no problem. I send them pics of wearing a patina finish and nothing comes of it. Few months later I get a refund check as my vehicle wasn't up to their standards. What really bothers me is that from the time they canceled it til I got the notice was more than a week. What if I had got in an accident (not currently driving it) during that time?

29. inkstain27

inkstain27

Originally insured my hot rod with state farm. never had a problem with any of my customs but about 3 weeks after signing my 26 rpu up, they called and said that they were going discontinue coverage on my hot rod because it was high risk. Went with hagerty and been happy ever since

30. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

RRM, you are on the right path trying to obtain insurance with Grundy. Their prices and coverage are the best in my opinion. Continue trying, if you get voicemail try hitting a different department like customer service or claims instead of sales THEN ask for the sales manager. well worth the effort. Everything after the initial conversation I've had with them has been via email. Very easy and affordable especially if you put two classic cars and a daily driver all on the same policy with them.