Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help with Hemi ID

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by WB69, Jan 9, 2010.

1. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

IE554588 (Chrysler Firepower). These are the numbers on the flat area in front of the intake manifold on the block. Could someone tell me what they tell about this motor, please. It is a 4v motor, if that helps. I haven't found them yet and have to leave. Will check back later. TIA.

2. Iceberg460

Iceberg460

3. 73RR

73RR

Another odd-ball ?? or is the stamping clearly an 'I' ?? The letter 'I' was not generally used because of confusion with the numeral '1'.
    The other option is 'NE' if the stamp was somehow damaged/tilted/ ??

3NE and WE don't seem to fit. The valve cover would indicate pass car but since all Chrysler covers interchange thats no guarantee either.

Time now for casting numbers and photos.

Sua Sponte

4. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Yeah I know about the searches, and also the location that you posted. But I'm still unable to find this specific number. Thought maybe someone else might know. Thanks anyway.

5. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Thanks 73RR, motor is in the car, grease, snow, pack rats, etc. Possibly an N. I really couldn't tell or see it clearly I guess. I will see if I can get back out there and clean it off alittle better. That would explain why I couldn't find the number. New to hemis therefore I know nothing.

6. According to Leo Lindquist's book on Hemi Engine Data the most likely possibilities, as 73RR suggested, are:

NE55 that designates a 1955 New Yorker 331cu in motor.
    CE55 that designates a '55 Imperial, 331cu in
    3NE55 that designates a '55 Chrysler 300, 331 cu in

I hope this helps. By the way the number you indicate would not correlate with Marine, Industrial or Dodge Truck Hemis [dump trucks and school buses were equipped with Chrysler Hemis].

trakrodstr

7. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Ok, tromped through 2 foot of snow again, this time with some carb cleaner, wire brush, flashlight and more coats. You were right 73RR, I had the wrong first number. The number is actually NE5545081. trakrodstr it looks like its the 55 New Yorker 331 witha 4v. Thanks for your response.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2010