Register now to get rid of these ads!

help with ford small six distributor

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by h2omonkey, Mar 19, 2013.

1. h2omonkey

h2omonkey
    from vegas

I have a ford 170 with the autolite carb and load o matic distibutor that only has the vacuum advance. I'm wanting to switch over to electronic (probably petronic) but want a distributor with mechanical advance as well. I know Ford later switched to a regular distributor with both vacumm and mechanical advance, can anyone point me in the right direction?
    Would love to do a DUI or a duraspark but they are just too big to fitin the doghouse cover in my econoline.

2. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

I think that if you find a distributor new enough to have centrifugal advance, the size of the hex that drives the oil pump will be larger. Either change the oil pump or find a combination hex that's two different sizes.

3. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

What you need is a original distributor ( for the drive and gear etc for fit) and a ford ( or Mallory etc) of correct rotation and six cylinder.
    We then machine the lower end to fit and that gives you the full advance you need.

4. Xtreme13

Xtreme13
    from Kentucky

I went Duraspark with my 200 and I still run the autolite 1100. I got my distributor from a '76 Maverick and the brain box from a '78 granada. No machining required, just a little wiring. There's all kinds of duraspark conversion info online, it's pretty straight forward.

5. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What year is the 170? Early ones had a smaller distributor bore, and a 1/4" oil pump driveshaft. Later ones had a larger distributor bore, and a 5/16" oil pump drive shaft.

The changeover was "about" mid-'64.

The choices for distributors with the smaller bore, and 1/4" shaft are limited. So far, all I have found that fits the bill is the DUI HEI, unless you go custom. Of course, the DUI HEI is the biggest, and won't fit under the doghouse, without metal surgery.

If it is the larger bore and shaft, I think that Ford did have something between the Load-O-Matic (1949-1967 'ish), and the Duraspark (1973) models, circa the early 70's, with points. Can't recall if they had mechanical advance, though. Look for a distributor for a early 70's 200-6. The points could be swapped for an electronic trigger.

6. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

72' Comet 200 had the dual vacuum/mech adv / points with small dist cap..

7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

DING! We have our winner!

If you have the large bore block, use that. Upgrade to an electronic trigger, Pertronix, or otherwise.

$73+tax at Autozone (less cap and rotor). 30-2613
    Pertronix Ignitor II: 91261

Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  8. oakmckinley

oakmckinley

Sorry to raise from the dead an old thread but...

So I have the 170 with the 1/4" drive. I waited too long to purchase the DUI and now they've stopped making them?

What are my options? I'm willing to swap out the oil pump as well if thats what it takes? or like Bubba was saying can I purchase one with a larger shaft and have it machined?

Please help a girl out, the Fairlane runs well but I know it can run better! Thanks

9. You mentioned your working on an Econline---I know the space is tight in the doghouse, but I've been told that you can use a Dura Spark with a small cap adapted into place, and not get spark jump. If the big cap is too big in my doghouse, then I'm going to try the small cap thing.

10. sunbeam

sunbeam

There is a NOS Mallory unit on Ebay now.

11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I did a bit of research and am not all that sure that you can simply swap oil pumps and drives and turn the distributor housing down. I'm not well versed in Ford sixes except flatheads so I don't know of a real solution either.

12. oakmckinley

oakmckinley

Thank you sunbeam!! Good eye!

I bought it!