Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help with flathead in model A frame

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Texas Webb, Jul 14, 2011.

1. First off I've got the Tardel book.My question is I've got a 51merc eng my fan is 8 inches from center of water pumps so 3 inches from rad mount holes to front of eng mount aint enough.Do I strech the frame? don't want an elect fan,trying to stay old & traditional.Anyone in around san antone I could gleen info from.Thanx,Webb.:confused:

2. Gregg Pellicer

Gregg Pellicer

Not trying to be a smart ass. Doesnt the Tardel book explain all that. Dont have the book in front of me (at work).I have it at home and Im sure it tell's you how to make it all work.

3. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Some pics would surely help, but you shouldnt have to stretch the frame to put an 8BA in there. Although the fan set up you have may not work. I ran mine for quite awhile with no fan and was fine except for sitting in traffic. I put an electric in front of the rad its hardly noticable and solved the problem although I think I could have worked out a mechical fan too.

4. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

You will not need to stretch the frame, check out my full fendered AV8 coupe in mt avatar. The fan you need is the generator mounted fan. Also if you don't want to cut the fire wall you can replace the mech. fuel pump with electric and block it off. That is what Mikey and me did 6 years ago when we built my car.