Register now to get rid of these ads!

help with engine ID

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jxnslotcar, Dec 20, 2009.

1. jxnslotcar

jxnslotcar

I am trying find what engine I have in this 52 and am unable to find these numbers anywhere. i am hoping someone is able to help me on here. Thanks jim

The number on the block by the dist is VA27731C

2. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

52 What?
    Six, eight or?

Photo?

Guys on here are good at identifying older engines but no one that I know of is a magician that can id one without pertinent information.

From looking at your profile it appears that you might have a 52 Chev pickup. If it has the original six in it does it have the full side cover or the short side cover?
    What you are showing is most likely the serial number off the block. you also need to find the casting number off the block.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2009
  4. dieselc

dieselc
    from ohio

Well from the looks of it, I bet it runs on gas.

5. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

must be a 52 AD truck
    235 maybe

you sure that's the number?/

6. the numbers come back as a 22R with early style timing cover. probably not the original motor for the vehicle as most electric dog polishers have been modified sometime in the past. good luck!

7. jxnslotcar

jxnslotcar

It is a 52 AD truck which was made in Flint according to the serial number. It is not the original engine but it is the one that came with it when I bought it from Danimal. What other info do you need? It is a 6 cylinder and I am not sure where to find the casting numbers on the block. I am also not sure about whether it is the short or tall timing cover. I appreciate you guys trying to help me. Thanks Jim

8. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

A good picture would really help out the best !

RetroJim

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

10. jxnslotcar

jxnslotcar

11. Why don't you just ask Damimal? He probably has some idea what it is.

If its an inline 6 I'd just about bet its a 235. That is the most popular boat anchor around these days.

12. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

<TABLE class=tborder id=post4409571 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e5e5e5 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #e5e5e5 0px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #e5e5e5 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e5e5e5 0px solid" width=175>
    Old School HAMBer

[​IMG]

</TD><TD class=alt1 id=td_post_4409571 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e5e5e5 1px solid"><!-- icon and title -->[​IMG] 1952 Chevy 3100 Pick Up Truck PROJECT
    <HR style="COLOR: #e5e5e5; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #e5e5e5" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title -->
    <!-- message -->****SOLD****

1952 Chevrolet 3100 Pick Up Truck PROJECT.
    This truck is a solid roller with a great frame and decent sheet metal. Cab has been replaced with a southern cab and only has minor rust issues. Seat has been recovered in the 80s so it isn't the most fashionable but it was professionally done. Missing the tailgate and the rear bumper does not go with this truck.
    Rear axle swapped to make it an open rear end and 5 lugs. Front hubs from '54 passenger car included to make front 5 lug as well (not done yet)
    New windshield gasket with decent glass, needs some polishing. Michigan buyers will receive bill of sale. (Have not applied for lost title yet).
    Need some tin work on front fenders. I have the missing headlight bucket and nearly every part to make a complete truck including a good 216 inline 6 and original 3 and 4 speed transmissions. (Original torque tube rear still available).
    Several photos available here: http://s194.photobucket.com/albums/z...03100%20Chevy/

SHE'S GONE!!!

this kind of tells you what it is!!
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig --></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

13. jxnslotcar

jxnslotcar

I understand that it is probably a 216. I am just trying to figure out what year 216 and maybe what it came out of. I know,I know,what difference does it make. :) just curious and thought maybe by the numbers from the block someone would be able to tell me where,when it was born and what it came in.

14. squirrel

squirrel

Look on the pass side of the block, there should be two useful number sequences. One is the casting number, it's usually about 7 digits long. The other is the casting date, it starts with a letter then two or three numbers (H 12 2 for example)

If it's a 216 the side cover will go all the way to the valve cover, and cover the head where the spark plugs are. If it's a 235 the side cover will only to to the top of the block.

15. jxnslotcar

jxnslotcar

Hey Hotrod. I have been to your site but didn't see any pricing. I would like to put a split manifold on this truck with some kind of dual pipes-not for performance but for the sound. I am not building a hot rod truck just something that is fun to drive and work on without sinking a bunch of money into it that I don't have. Custom bikes are not exactly selling right now and just trying to survive the current state of the economy.
    Anyway,wondering what a splitz exhaust manifold would run me. Nothing fancy but workable. I am getting a set of Lakes side pipes that I would like to somehow use on this truck.
    I am going to look and find what the casting numbers are on my engine Monday morning when I go into the shop. I am working on the truck there where at least I have some heat and all my tools. I have been lazy the last 3 days. :) I thought with the numbers which are beside the distributor that someone would be able to tell me what engine and year that it is.

BTW,it does have the side cover which goes all the way up to the valve cover. I need to get some gaskets as it and the valve cover are leaking oil. The engine appears to be the original color but find that hard to believe as it is blue and not gray-whats up with that?

Last edited: Dec 27, 2009
  16. squirrel

squirrel

the number code is kind of strange, not what we'd expect to see on a 216, that's why no one has identified it for you.

17. jxnslotcar

jxnslotcar

BTW-has anyone looked at the video that I have posted above and does that help at all especially whether that looks to be the original color of this engine? I know it is not a good video so please excuse the mess. I was trying to do it when I was in a hurry and I had to laugh when I watched it as I sounded like a total loser. LOL And yes I have a few bike projects laying around.

18. jxnslotcar

jxnslotcar

I know and I have looked at it more than once to make sure i wrote it down correctly.

VA27731C The funny thing about this number is that it appears that the newer the engine is the farther along in the alphabet the 1st 2 letters are which in this case is VA. I have not found these 2 letters anywhere unless you go into 1956. I would like to know what this engine is so that I know what it came out of and specs as to what is inside,ect. Thanks again for all the help on here. I will be getting pics on here as I go along with this truck. Quite frankly,this truck has pretty much filled up my thoughts in my spare time and I have literally spents hrs and hrs on here reading through threads. So if nothing else,I am definely learning. And who said you couldn't teach an old dog new tricks!!. In my day to day job,I work on new cars and trucks and would rather work on all the new electronics and wiring except when thinking about this truck. I had forgotten how much fun it is to work on the old iron. ;)

Last edited: Dec 27, 2009
  19. squirrel

squirrel

video shows it's definitely a 216, because of the side cover. Look for the block casting number near the fuel pump, and the casting date code might be partly hidden by the starter.

20. Crestliner

Crestliner

I believe there is a pad by the dizzy with the engine code.

21. squirrel

squirrel

he already told us what's on the pad by the dizzy

22. jxnslotcar

jxnslotcar

BTW,Jim I went through some of your pics-very cool! The power tour pics and the ones about your trucks. What ever happened with the Suburban? I like tha pic of the chassis before the body was put on it. I would do something like that with this truck but at this point in time,I'd rather remeber the old time feel and sounds of old. My 1st vehicle was a 48 chevy truck when I was 14 yrs old. I only had it for a summer as I had no place to keep it but it was a great summer! The 1st car I had that I actually was able to drive on the road was a 65 Mustang with a 6 cl and auto trans. I was embarrassed to drive it because of the 6 cylinder (I now know that was pretty dumb) I sold it for $10 after the rocker arm assembly broke. My next car was a 70 Chevelle SS with LS6 and 4 spd that I bought for a $1000. Had that car for a couple of years and sold it for $500. It was Gobi beige (tannish yellow) with black stripes,hood with the vacumn induction,black interior,full guage package and 8 track tape player,12 bolt rear diff with 411 gears. That is another car that I sure do miss and have not seen another like it other than on Barret jackson where one like it sold for around $300K. Kinda out of my price range now. :(

23. jxnslotcar

jxnslotcar

Yep,it is VA27731C

24. Crestliner

Crestliner

My book does not show a VA. I will show the first letter of each year.
    38-H
    39-J
    40-K
    41-A
    42-B
    46-D
    47-E
    48-F
    49-G
    50-H
    51-J
    52-K
    53-L

25. jxnslotcar

jxnslotcar

I will look again in the morning and make sure that there is not another letter in front of the VA

26. jxnslotcar

jxnslotcar

OK, I found the casting number on the passenger side of the block towards the front. It shows a large GM with a 3 next to it and below that is numbers which look like 3835. Does that help at all with finding out the specs on this engine?
    I am wondering if maybe this was a crate engine and that is why it has VA on the pad by the distributor

And behind the starter I have CON 4 and C273 and beside the dist is VA27731C

Also behind the 3
    835 it looks like there were maybe 3 other numbers that were STAMPED. I can't make out the 1st number but the other 2 numbers look like 94 and I can't swear to the 9. but it is reading like 3835_94 and I am not sure about the 9 as these are stamped not cast into the block which is strange as well. according to inliners.org it might read like 3835794 which all it says is 52 Chevy and nothing else?

Last edited: Dec 28, 2009
  27. squirrel

squirrel

Not enough digits to be the casting number....do some more cleaning and careful looking to see if you missed part of it?

28. jxnslotcar

jxnslotcar

Hey Jim I found some other numbers behind the starter- CON 4 and C273

29. squirrel

squirrel

C 27 3 is a date code...but the 3 and the end means either 1943 0r 1953, and I thought they were done with 216 blocks by the end of 52? and no war production?

Interesting

30. jxnslotcar

jxnslotcar

That is why I am thinking this may be a crate engine or replacement engine. The serial number behind the dist doesn't match up to anything,the casting number say that it was made in 53 and the block is blue when it should be gray which to me sounds like a crate engine. They may have stopped putting the 216 in vehicles in 52 but would probably still have made some replacements for warranty work,ect. W#hat do you think? I'd still like to know the specs on this engine.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2009