Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical help with dropped axel for model a

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by subneil56, Feb 23, 2016.

1. subneil56

subneil56
    from bristol vt

im looking at the different i beams ,what i have now is a stock heavy 32 .i need to get the front end down as much as i can. so what i have now is perch to perch 36 3/8 .king pin hole to hole is 50.so now that thats been said what is the difference between perch 34 3/8 to perch than the36 3/8 yaaa i now 2 inches .but my question is related to the spring and the 45% angle in the shackle . if i was to go with the 34 3/8 would that mess up my 45 % angle . what i would like to go with is the supper bell 5 inch drop is there any thing that im missing . just to state the fact im vary green when it comes to this .thanks in advance. neil

2. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

You can have your 32 axle dropped to 4" and use a reverse eyed front spring and this will get you down another 1". Depending on what front cross member your using, you can also adjust the height using a flatter one.

3. oj

oj

Full fendered car in your avatar? Then you want dropped with same width. I'd be inclined to set your original axle up on the wall to keep, call Posies and they'll fix you up properly. No guesswork or calculating. Just remember when it is assembled it'll take a few months for the spring to take it's final seat, it'll start higher than what you want but that isn't the final height.

4. dudley32

dudley32

tire size also has a lot to do with the end drivability...changing the perch width is definitely going to change the shackle angle...like oj says call Posies or someone reputable before you purchase...

5. To start with no you can't run a spring that is 2" too short. But you are in luck you can purchase the correct spring.

yes you can buy a bell drop axle but you can also get your 32 heavy dropped and that is about as traditional as it gets. You can also de arch the spring or reverse the eye or even mount your spring to the bones or the hair pins. you can also Z your frame. There are some many options.

How low does it need to be? Is it a car you plan on driving or one you plan on looking at?

6. measure perch center to perch center on your axle then subtract 5 inches. This will tell you the length of the leaf spring you need.

7. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

Since your looking for a Model A dropped axle, we can rule out the car in your avatar as whats its for.
    Your 32 axle takes a 33" spring and the Belle axle takes a 31" spring. You cannot interchange them.
    The Belle axle is 46" Kingpin to Kingpin and designed to tuck the wheels inside of the fenders. 32 axles are 50" KP to KP and 48 1/2' dropped. The Belle axle is a good choice on a full fender car if running disc brakes on the front because the wheels are pushed out about 1 1/2 "

8. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Keep the '32 heavy. (it's worth $$, but mostly it's the Grand Daddy of Highboy axles.
    BUY a Chassis Engineering 4" dropped axle, it's FORGED STEEL. The others are cast iron.
    Posies has the correct spring with reversed eyes, just tell them the distance between hanger bores. Reasonable, too.

9. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

I would be interested in knowing what years Ford made and used a cast iron front axle.

10. Ford didn't they are all forged.^^^^^^^