Register now to get rid of these ads!

help with doug nash 4+1

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 66nova383, Sep 2, 2013.

1. 66nova383

66nova383
    from oregon

I had Libertys Gears rebuild and face plate my gear box and it works really nice.The problem is the front bearing retainer seal they put in was wrong it leaked bad.I pulled the gear box back out and when I tipped it up on the front the gear oil just ran out the input shaft.The ID of the seal they put in was way to big.So I measured the shaft and retainer and went and got the correct seal.Now after about 20 miles its leaking again,is this typical for these gear boxes to leak?or what, anyone got any info on these gear boxes that could help me.

2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

so, did you contact builder company?

3. 66nova383

66nova383
    from oregon

I talked to them a month ago and let them know that they put the wrong seal in.They offered to send me the correct seal but I didn't want to wait 4 days to get it.

4. Moon Rocket

Moon Rocket
    BANNED
    from GA

Are you positive it's the seal leaking and not the cup for the secondary shaft?

5. 66nova383

66nova383
    from oregon

the first time it was the seal for sure,I don't know if it is the seal or secondary shaft cup should know tomorrow if I can get home from work early enough.

6. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Take the front bearing retainer off and you have to check the concentricity of the seal diameter bore to the front bearing od..Mine was off so much that no matter what was put in for a seal it left a gap at seal lip/shaft od..Ruined a perfectly good clutch, I'm surprised yours wasn't..I think once I trued the retainer up in the lathe I bored to a larger seal od [that still had required id]..Mine trans leaked from every wheres except the front C'gear plug..

7. 66nova383

66nova383
    from oregon

Seb,Im not sure I understand what your saying,and how do I check the concentricty?What I think your telling me is that when the bearing retainer is bolted up it might not be centered correctly.
    I only have like 15 to 20 miles on the whole car and this is the second time i have pulled the gear box.The first time I pulled it I didn't have more than 2 miles on it and used 4 cans of brake clean off clutch and bell housing ,clutch seemed to be ok at that point still.

Moon rocket now that I think about it I don't think it could be the cup for the secondary shaft becouse its more in the bell housing not on outside of the case.

Paul at liberty's has been real helpful on things to check.I just don't want keep pulling it back out or risk ruining my clutch

I'll get out tonight look at it again , Thanks for the help