Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Help with Don Zig Magnetos...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Johnny31, May 7, 2020.

1. Johnny31

Johnny31

We have a project that required we have a mag rebuilt. We talked to Joe (??) at Don Zig Magneto's at the first of the year and sent our mag to him. We confirmed they have it and were told at the time he would work it in. We have been trying to get in touch with him since, and the phone number now goes right to a voicemail that is full. Does anyone have any ideas how we can actually talk to them?? Thanks in advance.

loudbang likes this.
  2. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Common story Ive been hearing lately, Joe is a nice guy but a little overwhelmed right now, working out of his house since he had to move everything out of Zigs place

loudbang and kidcampbell71 like this.
  3. WAYNE WILLEY

WAYNE WILLEY

Thanks for the reply dreracecar, chiming in here with my local Hot Rod buddy "Johnny31", I'm the one who asked that he start this thread.

This might be Joe's current situation at Zig but it would sure be nice (and respectful customers) to at least be able to touch base with him on where he's at with our mag rebuild. The only contact number we have is the one that has given the continued "mailbox is full" message for quite some time now. We don't know of an email or any other contact avenue for Joe. For the moment we just want to achieve contact with a live body on their end and find out where our mag is. It shouldn't be this difficult or too much to ask after literally waiting for months with no feedback whatsoever. Any help with reestablishing contact with Joe and getting a confident update would be very much appreciated.

Desoto291Hemi and kidcampbell71 like this.

4. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Just like Zig, Cirello has been around for "many" years.
    I've used both companies in the past. No complaints with either.

Mike

5. 5window

5window

Til now.

6. 5window

5window

You could try Certified Mail with a return receipt-of maybe a HAMBer nearby would go over and check?

Last edited: May 11, 2020
  7. 5window

5window

You might find this weird, but Don Zig's family is from Ames,Iowa.

8. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We needed to hop up a 1.5 amp mag to 5 for our old GMC and Don could not do it and went to Joe Hunt. He did at least 1/2 dozen I know of. All then needed the external coil. He’s another option.

9. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

10. Johnny31

Johnny31

Thanks for the input and suggestions.

loudbang likes this.
  11. Fordors

Fordors

Some great suggestions for good magneto service but unfortunately there has been no contact with Joe and Joe has the magneto 1600 miles away as the crow flies.
    @5window may have the best idea, anybody in Hawthorne, CA that can go knock on the door?

lippy likes this.
  12. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Direct contact seems to be the only solution at this point, And would take a person going over there to bang on his door

loudbang likes this.
  13. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you get it back not fixed, send it to Spud Miller at Fuel Injection Enterprises in Oregon.

30tudor and loudbang like this.
  14. WAYNE WILLEY

WAYNE WILLEY

A few good ideas so far, thanks, but step one is still contacting Don Zig.

loudbang, kidcampbell71 and Budget36 like this.
  15. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

I got Joes cell number and will give him a call, I will also tell him that the villagers are starting to gather with pitchforks and torches

16. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I’m in SoCal but not that close to Hawthorne,,

loudbang likes this.
  17. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

His shop is in Gardena, and he lives in Hawthorn. Years ago he said he was going to build his shop at his house, and when his page came up I had thought he moved, but he is still in Gardena, Had a friend go there (gardena) to make sure

18. WAYNE WILLEY

WAYNE WILLEY

THANK YOU! I really appreciate this effort. If for any reason you would prefer to contact me by phone with additional information please feel free anytime @ 507-402-4050.

loudbang likes this.
  19. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Went by this morning, and was not there yet, I will try again when I go to lunch

5window likes this.
  20. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

OK went there at lunch and talked to Joe and basicly told him to that he needs to communicate to his customers. Joe is a mechanic and running the business was Zigs part, Joe is trying to do both and really needs someone at the desk to handle it. This BS going on right now has him a little messed up with shipping and recieving since where he is at is part of a warehouse and has no address for UPS trucks (I offered him to use my address for pickups and drops) and trying to get my kid over there to straighten out his cell phone system. Joe understands and feels bad, but he never knew how bad it was until I told him.

21. Fordors

Fordors

Well played! Not only did you make the effort to get answers for the OP, but you’re also trying to help Joe get his business in order. That’s going above and beyond.

22. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

I happily dealt with Joe thru the years and always found him a straight-up guy. With a little help, I'm betting on him fixing things.

loudbang and 427 sleeper like this.
  23. patsurf

patsurf

as already stated-YOU are being a great guy!!

loudbang, 5window and 51504bat like this.
  24. 5window

5window

Yes, nice move. Well played,sir.

loudbang likes this.
  25. WAYNE WILLEY

WAYNE WILLEY

Thanks a ton DRE, sounds like we've at least got a heartbeat to the situation again. Looking forward to getting this deal wrapped up, we'll see how it goes from here.

loudbang likes this.
  26. WAYNE WILLEY

WAYNE WILLEY

Still no response from Joe.

loudbang likes this.
  27. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Dont know what to say, I handed Joe a full sheet of paper note with your contact info and reasons

nunattax and loudbang like this.
  28. WAYNE WILLEY

WAYNE WILLEY

I truly hate to say it but this is the worst customer service I've ever come across, completely unacceptable. As a full-time parts manager myself I can't even begin to comprehend this treatment. It's totally ridiculous that after your efforts he won't even bother to call me, NO ONE is that busy!
    At this point I wish Joe would just send it back so we can get it to someone who will actually get it done. That is, if he even knows where it's at in his shop???

nunattax, 5window and loudbang like this.
  29. WAYNE WILLEY

WAYNE WILLEY

Joe finally called me last Thursday morning, but only after a second personal visit to his shop and additional prod by "dreracecar". I thank "dre" immensely for that, he's the hero so far.
    I had just a short conversation with Joe (I was at work) but he definitely has our mag, promised to get on it right away, and to "make things right". He has all of our info but said he would likely call again to confirm details prior to return shipping. A bit of relief for the moment, but I'm not counting my chickens just yet. Fingers crossed.