Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Help with desoto rear drums

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chewie1, Jul 20, 2016.

1. chewie1

chewie1

Hi

I am having a real nightmare with the rear drums on my 47 desoto

A little while ago i pulled the drums off took all the brake parts off to get the shoes relined
    in the mean time i put the drums back on with no brake parts inside so we could move the car around drove it on the ebrake around the farm

now i have all new brake parts to fit
    I can not get the drums off spent 6 hours on it today and achieved nothing apart from a broken hub puller and a few more scrapes to the hands

Have i missed something I.E the drums pull off over the woodruff key i dont have to pull the woodruff key out.

2. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Heavy duty puller & heat.

3. Yep, they are a big job. There is another thread about them, maybe some one will see this and help you out. Hang in there.

4. F&J

F&J

sometimes an old term applies...like mopars suck. :) they seem to have a slightly different taper that makes them harder to remove than any other brand.

Agree to search here, as there are different ways depending on lack of the proper puller...which is a huge oversize 5 jaw that hooks to the lugs. Tighten the T-screw with a 4 pounder, then slam the end with a sledge. Show it no mercy, either.

one thread said jack the opposite side up as far as possible to move max weight to the stuck one. ... then get friends to shove the car towards the stuck side. IDK, never tried it

5. sunbeam

sunbeam

6. My 56 Chrysler Windsor rear brake drums were a bitch to get off too. I need a BIG puller with heat and a BIG sledge hammer. Keep trying it will come off buddy. Bruce. HPIM1201.JPG

7. chewie1

chewie1

Thanks for all the replys
    So far we have one hub off
    And two bust pullers :-o

Sent from my E2105 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. vintage6t

vintage6t
    from CT

Some people say you can loosen the nut a bit and drive around until you hear them pop. obviously slowly though.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

9. R Pope

R Pope

A BIG sledge hammer and a length of chain. Bolt the ends of the chain to the hub and the middle to the sledge hammer. swing the hammer so the chain jerks the hub outwards. Works for me!