Register now to get rid of these ads!

help with decoding the vin

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by big creep, Mar 24, 2010.

1. big creep

big creep

hi guys and gals, i did a search and found links for vin decoding but when i entered the vin, it came back not found or cannot find. its for my 49 ford. can anybody suggest anything? or help? just wondering where my car came from, i did find a made in oakland tag on in the burlap of the rear seat. thanks in advance.

2. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/flathead_serialno_49-59VINdecode.htm

3. big creep

big creep

yea my vin tag doesn't look like that one. its just the patent numbers plate, starts with 98BA---------- so i looked on that sight and nothing matches. or maybe im just a dummy?

4. Serial tag should be on the right side cowl under the hood. According to my book all you can glean from it is if it was built with a six or an eight - 98BA means an eight.

5. big creep

big creep

thanks rusty new yorker!

6. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Just a week or so ago I posted some info for the benefit of another HAMBER asking for similar info. Too lengthy to re-post here, but you could search my posts....the short answer is that in '49 only the engine type (as said by Rustynewyorker) and serial number comprised the ID. For '49 it could be a short as 7 or as long as 11 alpha/numeric digits.

In '50 they added the production plant code along with engine type and the production sequence (serial) number.

Ray

7. big creep

big creep

yea thanks, rusty NY told me that. i never knew, i learned something today! its a good day!