Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help with decoding 1959 F100 VIN - dataplate

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by Mr. Randy, Oct 19, 2019.

1. Mr. Randy

Mr. Randy

I'm new to the forum. 60 years old, ex mechanic, living in Tehachapi Ca. Joined the forum to seek some of the expert advice now and then as I dig into a well worn 1959 F100 I picked up from my father in law. I can't seem to find all the info online about the data tag. Hoping someone here can decipher it out for me. It has a 9 inch Ford axle underneath and what looks like the original Y-Block motor with a 4 barrel manifold. From what I can research, I wonder if it originally had a Dana axle. Thanks to the group.

Serial: F10C9R38890.
    Color: DE, Date: 03F, Trans: A, Axle: 24 DSO: 8120

The Magic Ratchet likes this.
  2. Buz

Buz

You can find the info you are looking for online in the LMC truck catalog their address is LMCTRUCK.com Just select the online catalog for the 59 F100 and a few pages in shows you what the vin. number means.

3. Mr. Randy

Mr. Randy

4. The Magic Ratchet

The Magic Ratchet

My manuals are currently in storage while we're moving but Bill (aka "Number Dummy") over at Ford Truck Enthusiasts (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php) should be able to decode your data plate. I don't think there is any specific way to decode it but the fact that it has a DSO (Domestic Special Order) number means it was some kind of special build. My understanding is that it was a bit like the "COPO" number on later Chevies.

5. Mr. Randy

Mr. Randy

Thanks, I'll post it over there. I think the DSO might be Canada

6. F10- F100
    C- 292
    9 1959
    R- San Jose Plant
    38890- unit number