Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help with an Avatar

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by RunaroundSue, Mar 5, 2007.

1. RunaroundSue

RunaroundSue
    from Indy

I found an avatar that I would like to use, but the artwork beongs to a well recognized artist.
    What would be the best way to address this?

Thanks,
    RAS

2. Get in touch with well recognized artist and ask, "may I use this for my avatar?"
    If he says yes, use it.
    If he says no, design your own.

3. ray

ray
    from colorado

if the only thing you will be doing with the avatar is using it on a message board like this, no problem, now if you are running a business or something, you may have a problem.

4. wetatt4u

wetatt4u

Ray said it best! listen to the OT's

5. RunaroundSue

RunaroundSue
    from Indy

That's what I was thinking. As long as it isn't being used for personal gain, sales, illegal, immoral, etc. etc. This IS the only place it would be used.

Thanks for the input. I may be back with some more questions.

6. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Use it. The worst that could happen is someone would contact you and tell you to take it off. I think things are pretty much fair game on the WWW if you don't put a name or "water mark" across the picture or display it in such a matter that it can't be saved by doing a "save as" or right clicking. Just my $.02 though.

Welcome to the HAMB... :)

7. RunaroundSue

RunaroundSue
    from Indy

"Squater's rights", huh?? Or, "Sorry, I didn't know, it will never happen again". Right? ;)

Thanks!!

8. metalman

metalman

I've done research on this copyright thing. Some artist find it flattering and others view it as infringment. You'll probably be ok using it like your saying, worst would be told to remove it. Using copyrighted artwork ( All original art is copyrighted wether to artist post it or not) for ANY type of financal gain is opening yourself up for a lawsuit.

9. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Exactly! ;) :D

Most people who are REALLY serious about keeping control of their "product" will mark it or secure it. Just don't claim it's yours and make that baby fit next to your handle name! Oh yea, you realize the pressure is on now, right? We want to see the artwork!!! :D

10. Slonaker

Slonaker

So it is only stealing if you get caught? Just because I can't stop you from taking something doesn't mean it is okay to do so.

There is a reason that the bottom of every page on the HAMB says "Copyright 2005: The Jalopy Journal & The HAMB - Steal our stuff, we'll kick your teeth in."

Slonaker

11. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You're exactly right sir... That's why I said:
    Relax man. Not too many things are sacred in this world and if you really want them to be you will go to all extents to protect them. The WWW has changed the world as we know it and if you're stupid enough to post your work on the internet without form of protection or copyright note then you are leaving yourself open to "borrowing and steeling" by dishonest people. If I use a picture that someone else took, painted or drew then I give credit where credit is due when and if that is possible.

Unfortunately there are people out there that take or borrow stuff with BAD intentions. I don't think our lady friend here is planning on using it to make a profit, use as her own or claim that she produced it. She just likes it and wants to use it as her avatar or maybe even print it out and put it on her wall at home. I'm sure you've done the same at some level, somewhere in your life. Did you ever cut a picture of a hot chick out of magazine and put it on your wall or maybe use a picture that someone else took in a Power Point slide (Power Point is a licensed product of Microsoft. I better give them credit if I use the name.)? Did you ask them or give them credit for the picture?

Nobody here is implying that anyone should steal and I would be pissed if someone claimed something I did as there own. BUT... I'm also not retarded enough to think that if I don't protect it than someone, somewhere in the entire world won't take it or maybe even manipulate it. Everything you post on the internet is "Public" and not classified or privlaged information unless otherwise protected. That's life in 2007.

Perfect example is right on your website. Here is a picture of YOUR Chevy truck.
    [​IMG]
    You've not chosen to copyright or prevent me from taking that image so I'm going to post it here. However, you have put your name and/or association right on the picture.

So did I steal your picture? Technically it could be considered "art work" as well.

12. RunaroundSue

RunaroundSue
    from Indy

Looking at the big picture...and on a professional basis, I can sincerely appreciate the concerns of stealing/pirating someone's work. And I thank you all for your thoughts and input, that's why I posted. However...here, we're taling about a 1" X 1" pic from a hot rod artist, being used on a superior hot rod forum. I bet a BIG percentage of avatars used here are "borrowed".

I'll continue to check into it. If I'm in the wrong, I will understand and respectfully back out of it. (But you don't know til you try).

13. RunaroundSue

RunaroundSue
    from Indy

Sir...not to worry.....I'm rather fond of my teeth....and I have them all!!! :)

14. Here ya go Suzie, you can just use the one I made ya! :D

Attached Files:

15. RunaroundSue

RunaroundSue
    from Indy

OMG!!!!!!! :eek:

What a hussy!!!
    *** :eek: ***