Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help with a mongrel

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by plym_46, Jul 27, 2012.

1. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Trying to figure out what this rear end is out of. It came with my Studebaker truck project with no other ID other than it's a Ford.

It has 5X5 lug bolt pattern, and disc brakes. I am trying to find the correct or as near as possible so I can rig the parking brake situation. And it also looks like I need an axle seal repair as well.

Can take more photos if needed. Does anyone recognize what the source vehicle may have been???

I know you guys hate this stuff so any assistance will be appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Lincoln, '70s probably. I have a '79 Lincoln I think it was a versailles, 5 on 5 disk brakes.

3. jack orchard

jack orchard

Studebaker Trucks are neat. What do you have? Got any pics? Best of luck on your project...jack

4. squirrel

squirrel

late 70s T bird or Lincoln Mark. Pretty sure the versailles is 4.5" bolt circle.

look for a tag on one of the nuts that holds the center section in.

5. squirrel

squirrel

btw the seal fits between the tapered wheel bearing, and the axle flange. They're fun to work on.... and wait till you try to get the calipers working right, the parking brake mechanism is a real joy

6. Maybe it was, I kind of remember it being billed as a versaille and it was 5 on 5. But that doesn't make you wrong it could have been billed wrong.

7. squirrel

squirrel

It's pretty common to try to sell a full size disk brake rearend as versaille rearend. The versaille was based on the Granada, it's a smaller lighter duty rear.

Hot rods don't need disk brakes on the back

8. Well I got it cheap and it was from a Gentleman from the "neighborhood." Ended up all that I used from it was the housing and the bare chuck, I didn't even use the pinion support. :D But you couldn't beat it for the price.

9. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Last edited: Jul 27, 2012
  10. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

78-79 mark 5 ,maybe an 80 mark 6 -they were a little narrower,pretty sure it's not a versailles,--chuck

11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Both the Continental Coupes and the Versailles had nine inch rear ends but the Continental had the leaf spring rear suspension while the Versailles had the leaf spring suspension like the Grenadas and Monarchs did. That one looks like it has the shock brackets for the coil spring suspension still on it. It still should be a good rear end under the baker.

12. squirrel

squirrel

you meant to say coil....I know you did....

13. All Versailes were 5 on 4.5. The bigger ones were 5 on 5 at times.

14. 5 on 5 bolt pattern would indicate it is from a big Lincoln. A Versailles is definitely 5 on 4.5, I know for sure as I have one in my 38 Chevy. Hard to tell in the pics, but it seems that there were some factory four link type brackets welded to that rearend in your Stude which would also agree with Lincoln rear (coil spring vs Versailles were leaf). Mid-late 70's timeframe.

15. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Got a cable from a disc brake equipped Ranger. It worked so I achieved my object for this segment. Another fellow poited me to the chrouded nuts at the bottom of the pumpkin, but its down for the night. So I will check tomorrow for that and other tells.

16. squirrel

squirrel

It's definitely a 9" rear, and it definitely looks like a late 70s big lincoln or Tbird rear. I've had a couple of them.