Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Help with 51 Mercury inner rocker panel

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wide34, Jun 6, 2014.

1. wide34

wide34
    from Texas

Starting on the 51 Mercury and having problems understanding what the inner rocker panel is supposed to look like. If I start the panel at the seam of the outer rocker and floor pan and drop it down to the bottom of the outer rocker I won't be able to attach it to the side of the floor brace (will be a 2 inch gap)- I hope that makes sense! If I start the panel at the side of the floor brace I won't be able to connect it to the outer rocker panel. Unfortunately both sides are too rusted to see what it originally looked like and haven't found any 51 merc.s locally to look at so hope someone here can help me. Thanks

Attached Files:

2. wide34

wide34
    from Texas

MANY MANY thanks to all of you for the pictures and descriptions, I'm going to be making the panels so I had nothing to go from and your info. has given me a pretty good idea of what I need to do. I really admire all of your work and hope mine turns out close to what you have done. Again many thanks!!

3. ok mercury fans who puts out "closest to oem" 1950 outer rocker panel? supplier and price! $$:rolleyes:

4. rotorwrench

rotorwrench

Mikestude was making them and peddling them on flea-pay for both 4 and 2-door models. There is another outfit that makes the 2-door version advertized on flea-pay too. Mike is likely the only one out there that was fabricating the inner rockers for 49 to 51 Mercs ( they all use the same part whether 2 or 4-door). There are likely a few others that make their own out there but you don't see them advertised. Prices vary from just over $300 to the mid $400s depending on the body style or part needed.

None of them are exact copies of the OEM parts. I've seen some NOS stuff on the flea-pay a few times but they always want too much money for it. The drawings in one of the above posts for Green Mountain Parts are Mikestudes drawings. The inner rockers are pretty close. The outer work fine but are missing some of the OEM details that are unseen when the car is all put together.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2014
  5. colettamerc

colettamerc
    from Orlando,Fl

Sherman has the best re-pops that I have used but they are not cheap. Around $360 a piece plus shipping. As far as the inners probably best to make your own all the ones I have used has had to small of lip at bottom to weld to(you will know what I mean if you get them) including the above mentioned but they are cheap and usable just kinda a pain in the a$$ in my opinion.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. thanks guy!

7. hennmann

hennmann

Just reviving an old thread here because I will need to repair my rockers on my 1950 Mercury Sport Sedan!
    Who makes the rockers for Shoebox Central?
    They are the best I have seen other than OEM NOS on fleaPay I missed out on! Only problem is Shoebox rockers are for a 1949-51 Coupe and my body manual gives different part numbers for Sport Sedan and Coupe. Most likely the location of the center pillar. These look as close to OEM correct as what I have in my Mercury including the louvered drain holes and of course the tapered fit, where the front part is wider than the rear!
    0000883_49-51-mercury-2dr-right-complete-rocker-panel.jpeg-1.jpg

8. Krash Vegas

Krash Vegas

I picked this exact set from Shoe Box Central a few months ago. Getting ready to install in a few weeks. I started taking the front clip off a few weeks back. Its never been apart since it was assembled at the factory and every single bolt is a fight to get out. The grinder is the best wrench I have for it.

51 mercules likes this.
  9. hennmann

hennmann

How much shorter are the outer rockers for a 1950 Mercury coupe than a Sport Sedan? The rear 12 inches of my drivers side needs repair. My concern is the rockers from Shoebox are too short for the 4 door.
    Since these at Shoebox are the best I have seen who is the fabricator??
    Most of what I have seen on fleapay is TOTAL JUNK with incorrect shape and instead of a smooth curve from side to bottom they have a sharp bend and appear to be not even worth the shipping or the effort to get.
    As for the information mentioned on here I contacted the fabricator in California and his doesn't even have the openings below the sill step plates. I need them because I got a stone guard set with rocker moldings and need the openings to mount the mounting clips.